any one know whats up with the FC40 price going up?

Reaction score
Been noticeing the price on the fc40 on amazon from every seller has been going up and up and up for the last week or two and every time i look they seem to be about $20 each time. They went form about $449US from most sellers to $469 then $499 the othe other day and NOW over $550-560 ish. I also notice there seems to be less and less original parts for them on amazon to and the ones that can be had seem to of also gone up in price also.

Wondering if any one knows whats up with that? I'm thinking maybe just Christmas price gouging.

The FC40 has been discontinued. No more are being made I believe. So as stocks dry up, the price is rising and rising.

ah haaaa I had seen some one last week or before if they were discontinued But some one pointed out that dji was still selling them . But I just took a peek at there site again and now see they dont have them directly any more and only links to dealers. Then I just poked around ebay and they are pushing close to $600 yet the visions are coming down in price so much its not to much more coin for someone to just get a vision instead. But dam If i had known they were really discontinued I would of snapped one or 2 of the fc40s up when they were $449 shipped just to resell em later.

Thats sort of bad that they are discontinued being the fC40 was a great price entry level quad and I could see some one that dont have the budget for any higher end ones just going with one of the other brands that are poping up.

I have a fc40 and a vision and In some ways I like the 40 better then the vision esp for stunt stuff with out having to worry about crashing or losing the vision

There's been rumours of the FC40 being discontinued for a while. I didn't believe at first, when I heard it last month. But having kept and eye on retailers, this is the case. They've all started running out and some have told me they will have no more.

I think the Visions are going down in price because of the latest version (V3) and because of the Inspire 1. The older ones are not so popular, so I guess retailers want to get rid of them. As it's Christmas, there's lots of deals. There may be January sales too. But after that who knows?

Might have been a good idea to snap up a few for resale later. Too bad I can't afford such investments, lol.

I agree with you about it being bad. But I don't think it was DJI's idea. I've heard that the company that made the camera have gone bust. Which is odd because I thought DJI made it. But maybe they enlisted another company and then slapped their name on it? Maybe this isn't true at all. Who knows! It sounds viable to me though.

I am EXACTLY like you. I have a Vision Plus but due to the fear of crashing, I don't use it much. I'm fine with my FC40 though as it's a lot cheaper and until now, it would be rather easy and cheap to replace a part, should it break.

Parts for the FC40 also seem to be going up and getting scarce to. I snatched up a replacement cam yesterday to replace the one I lost in a tree over the summer tho that was $69 and a good deal. But also thinking of stocking up on some props even tho they jumped in price and lots of places not having them in stock any more. and maybe a red and green esc while they can still found also. But even they have gone up to about $28.

I don't think we need to worry too much about many parts, as the Phantom FC40 is a Phantom 1. I believe Phantom 1's are still plentiful so parts should be too. The cameras I would expect to go up. But you can always attach a third party WiFi cam that links to your phone or a monitor ect. That's the beauty of this Phantom. WiFi doesn't bother it, unlike others :)

The FC 40 will be rebranded and sold without the camera. Essentially you will have a choice of a phantom in 2.4 or 5.8 ghz. I am not sure why they dropped the camera, but with so many options to upgrade it makes sense. Looks like it has different motors and better battery life. It will be available for pre-order soon, here is the link from B&H -----> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... oller.html

The DJI Phantom Quadcopter with 5.8 GHz Radio is a quad-rotor RC helicopter that acts as an aerial platform for a GoPro HERO action camera. This product will appeal to a variety of potential users, from RC aircraft hobbyists seeking the ability to mount a camera so they can record their flights, to videographers and photographers looking to open up a whole new range of shooting possibilities. Unlike the standard version of the Phantom, this version incorporates the same 5.8 GHz radio as used by the FC40. This means you can safely leave your GoPro's 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi turned on in flight.

The Phantom can achieve a maximum horizontal flight speed of 33 ft/s and can ascend and descend at up to 20 ft/s. It comes with 5.8 GHz Transmitter (radio controller) that features an operational range of up to 2600' line-of-sight. The controller draws power from five readily available AA batteries, available separately.

Because of the complexity associated with multi-rotor aircraft, the Phantom relies on the Naza-M V2 flight control system. This system uses GPS for navigation and to maintain flight stability. While fully manual operation is possible, most users, especially videographers hoping to get the smoothest possible shoots, will opt for GPS Flight Mode. GPS Mode is an autopilot mode that keeps the Quadcopter stable and right-side-up when moving, and holds it in a fixed horizontal and vertical position whenever the controls are released.

Minimal Assembly Required
Those used to other RC aircraft will note the Phantom requires only basic assembly using a screw driver and supplied wrench. You will just need to attach the rotors, skids, and a few other small parts. Once assembled you will need to be sure to follow all of the calibration steps to ensure correct operation of the GPS autopilot system before flying.
Includes Transmitter (Radio Controller)
The Phantom features a 6-channel, 5.8 GHz WI-Fi transmitter, with dual joystick controls similar to the kind found on other multi-rotor RC aircraft transmitters. The sticks are configured in "Mode 2", the most popular mode in the U.S. The left stick controls throttle (up/down) and yaw (essentially rotation). And the right stick controls cyclic motion (side-to-side tilt pressing right/left and tilting the nose up or down pressing up/down). A switch on the top right lets you choose between Attitude and GPS flight modes and a similar switch on the left lets you select between IOC modes.
Up to 14 Minutes Flying Time
The standard 11.1V, 2200mAh 3S lithium-polymer (LiPo) battery is able to power the Phantom for up to 14 minutes. It can be charged using a variety of RC balance chargers, in addition to the model included.
Naza-M V2 Flight Control System
The brains of the aircraft, the Phantom uses the same Naza-M V2 flight control system as several other DJI models, including the original Phantom. The software ships preconfigured with two available flight modes, GPS Mode and GPS Attitude Mode. Additional modes and other custom configurations can be enabled using the Naza Assistant software, a Windows-only application available for free download from the DJI website. In addition, the software can offload flight data for diagnostic and teaching purposes and well as perform firmware updates.
Attitude and GPS Flight Modes
The Phantom has two GPs-assisted flight modes for you to choose from. Of the two, GPS Mode is the most automatic. In GPS Mode the Quadcopter will stop as soon as you release the controls and stay hovering at a fixed horizontal and vertical position. This setting is the easiest to fly and is generally preferred for shooting video as the Quadcopter won't sway or drift because of light wind gusts.

GPS Attitude Mode, or Attitude Mode, is a more manual flying mode in which the Phantom does not try and maintain a fixed spatial position. When you release the controls it will continue to drift unless friction slows it down or you stop it. And in this mode it will be more likely to be blown around if there is any wind. This not a true manual mode, however, in that the GPS navigation system is still used to maintain flight stability and by the "return to home" feature in the event of signal loss.
Return to Home Failsafe
If the Phantom loses the signal from the controller for any reason the "return to home" feature will initialize. The aircraft will ascend to 60 feet then make a straight-line course back to the "home position" you will have defined during the GPS calibration process. Once there, it will safely descend to the ground and power itself off.
Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC)
IOC is designed to help make flying more intuitive. Nominally, the yaw control will allow the Quadcopter to rotate continuously, which can quickly become confusing if you lose track of which way is "front". Suddenly your controls can get mixed up, where pressing right causes the craft to move left and pressing forward causes it move backward. Intelligent Orientation Control prevents this from happening, keeping the "tail" of the quadcopter pointed roughly toward the pilot at all times. To enable this feature you will need to use the Naza Assistant Software.
LED Status Indicator
LED status lights on the tail of the Phantom provide you with various feedback as well as warnings. Colors alternate between green, amber and red and can either be flashing or solid. These messages give you valuable information such as whether the GPS system is properly calibrated, warning you the battery is getting low, or telling you the remote's signal is out of range.
Self-Tightening 8" Propellers
The propellers screw on directly without requiring a separate prop nut. This design is self-tightening so there is no danger of a loose prop coming off in flight.

Interesting that they are doing that...though I am very glad that they are. I prefer to purchase $16 batteries rather than $120 ones.

Hey it's you from RC Groups, Beario! :D Was about to say here, what you said over there, lol. It's good that they are doing this. I hope the price stays low.

It should be out soon. I buy my quads from B&H so I was surprised when I asked about the replacement for the FC 40 and they told me it was coming out soon, but no camera. Either way, it is good that there is a low end model and they are not all expensive. :D

PsychopathRC said:
Hey it's you from RC Groups, Beario! :D Was about to say here, what you said over there, lol. It's good that they are doing this. I hope the price stays low.

I agree! It's a great little quad :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj