Any of you planning on videoing fireworks?

I got some great footage last night. I was about 100yds from the launch-point, downwind from the fireworks, hovering at 400ft above a farm field with no people in it (actually one other family was as crazy as mine to stand in the ash zone). I captured the lack of people and visible distance for protection if I need it. The fireworks are full-frame; 1080x24 narrow.

I'd share the video, but the way things are going it seems equivalent to posting a selfie during a bank robbery.

Dlandrum said:
I'd share the video, but the way things are going it seems equivalent to posting a selfie during a bank robbery.
Sure does appears that way. I try to fly within community guidelines but you know what... It is my driveway and I went up just above my tree line to take a quick peek.

Happy 4th everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWZi_5fzBg
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWZi_5fzBg[/youtube]

garrock said:
I went up just above my tree line to take a quick peek.

How is yours so quiet? Is that a V+? different blades?

Dlandrum said:
I got some great footage last night. I was about 100yds from the launch-point, downwind from the fireworks, hovering at 400ft above a farm field with no people in it (actually one other family was as crazy as mine to stand in the ash zone). I captured the lack of people and visible distance for protection if I need it. The fireworks are full-frame; 1080x24 narrow.

Did you black out your LEDs? If not, was there any light bleed into the camera? If yes, was navigating difficult without line of sight?

poostik said:
Did you black out your LEDs? If not, was there any light bleed into the camera? If yes, was navigating difficult without line of sight?

I did not black-out my LEDs, but just forgot to do it. black-out the fronts at a minimum.
I shot 1080x24 in NARROW mode.

Yet, when there were no firework lights, and the phantom was surrounded by smoke, I could see a red glow in the recording. led lit the smoke and it was caught by the camera.
Also, ash started to stick in spots to the gopro lens. Again, when there were no fireworks, the particles on the lens started to catch the led light.

I finally have my video up on YouTube, just a short vid of my personal stash but not too bad for an fc40. I'll have it posted in the video section soon. On my phone right now.

Being this was one of my first total darkness flights while filming fireworks in a remote location in central NY with no ground lights to gauge myself with, I learned that the red lights will ruin your footage. :(
The fireworks were done by a friend who owns a fireworks display company and he invited me to film. Due to the varying heights of the mortars it was tough to find a happy spot to catch them all. Some were as high as a 1000'. There was also a stiff breeze and the horizon on my monitor was angled the entire flight so needless to say the battery time was a bit short fighting that wind. The tilting of the quad added more red light on the wind side. I was flying downwind about 30 feet from the launch zone. I am still in central NY where my satellite internet is deathly slow, so no video uploads till I get home to the luxury of my wide-band cable internet. :)

205r0j4.jpg

qxkvgh.jpg

GrantAerial said:
ianwood said:
Fireworks are most often if not ever detonated over crowds as they rain down debris and can also be a safety hazard if they do not extinguish before reaching the ground.

There is no way a wireless signal could "spark off all the fireworks at once" unless the fireworks were controlled by a compatible wireless system that was left completely open and triggered off of just about any type of transmission. If that were the case, anyone in the crowd could do the same thing with their mobile phones.

Finally, unless there is a TFR in the area, you do not need the FAA's permission.

I understand the wireless signal won't ignite the fireworks. I am currently talking to a small town parks and rec guy who just wants to make sure. All in all I will get some photos. I just won't be shooting as close.

I talked to the Field Response, Special Events & USAR Coordinator for the Office of Emergency Management in Nashville. He mentioned that he was in contact with the police regarding permission to fly higher than 400ft (didn't specify before). It came back looking like the police didn't want to cooperate and it was going to be too much of a hassle to get FAAs approval.
I didn't notice any TFRs per this website (http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/ns/ ... 45_38.html)
I do understand I don't need their permission but I wanted to know their stance on this issue. I see now that their main concern is flying over large crowds which I never had any intention of doing.

After reading a few articles I'm somewhat glad I didn't pursue flying my quad around the fireworks.
You can do a quick search of "nashville fireworks drone" in ggl to read more.

Here is one article.
http://petapixel.com/2014/07/10/faa-inv ... fireworks/

I've got a lot of critiques about this on all levels.
Posting it for what it's worth.

[vimeo]100369622[/vimeo]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1