Any of you planning on videoing fireworks?

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you guys were planning on videoing any fireworks with your Phantoms? I am VERY strongly thinking about it. I dont see where it would be a problem really as I will be a good distance away from the launch area and explosions. Just curious

ABSOLUTELY! I'll have my F550 up and filming for our local fireworks show. However those of you with Phantoms are not welcome! Nobody wants to see your green & red lights polluting the skies during the show. :lol:

U.M.

I'm still trying to work with local "authorities" regarding this.
Some worry about large crowds, some worry about the wireless signal sparking off all the works at once and the other was attempting to work with the FAA to get permission for me to do it. In some cases I would ask for forgiveness but not in a large city with 40,000 people below me.
I am currently working with a smaller more local city. They will get back to me today.

I would rather not stain the image of quadcopter owners and work with local authorities than be a surprise and nuisance.

I wouldn't do it if I were around a bunch of people. The fireworks I'm thinking about shooting will be in the middle of a big lake. The biggest crowds will be on the lake in boats, really close to the fireworks. I plan on shooting from the shoreline, taking off from a residence and shooting the fireworks and the boats. I don't imagine to be around too many people. Still looking at my takeoff location options.

lol @ the distracting phantom lights :)

Fireworks are most often if not ever detonated over crowds as they rain down debris and can also be a safety hazard if they do not extinguish before reaching the ground.

There is no way a wireless signal could "spark off all the fireworks at once" unless the fireworks were controlled by a compatible wireless system that was left completely open and triggered off of just about any type of transmission. If that were the case, anyone in the crowd could do the same thing with their mobile phones.

Finally, unless there is a TFR in the area, you do not need the FAA's permission.

its a toss up for me ....Do i just film it and hope to not have a problem? Or do i talk to the local (small town) authorities in hopes that they get back with me soon enough and that they would approve? If i dont then I can always say "no one told me i couldnt and its not illegal". If i ask and they say dont reply in time then their argument will be "if you didnt think there was anything wrong with it then why would you think you need to ask permission". Or if they say "No"....The way i look at it is , its a free country if i want to film the skyline then i will. If you happen to do somthing in the air that gets in the frame of my shot thats your fault not mine. I have ever bit as much right to the sky as they do. And its not like im goint to try to fly into their path...i plan on being far enough away that its not an issue

I will be flying through them, FPV, and I can't wait.

Where I live they are shot a half mile out in the ocean, so no risk to people, etc.

And I will have my lights blacked out so as not to distract everyone.

ianwood said:
Fireworks are most often if not ever detonated over crowds as they rain down debris and can also be a safety hazard if they do not extinguish before reaching the ground.

There is no way a wireless signal could "spark off all the fireworks at once" unless the fireworks were controlled by a compatible wireless system that was left completely open and triggered off of just about any type of transmission. If that were the case, anyone in the crowd could do the same thing with their mobile phones.

Finally, unless there is a TFR in the area, you do not need the FAA's permission.

I understand the wireless signal won't ignite the fireworks. I am currently talking to a small town parks and rec guy who just wants to make sure. All in all I will get some photos. I just won't be shooting as close.

I talked to the Field Response, Special Events & USAR Coordinator for the Office of Emergency Management in Nashville. He mentioned that he was in contact with the police regarding permission to fly higher than 400ft (didn't specify before). It came back looking like the police didn't want to cooperate and it was going to be too much of a hassle to get FAAs approval.
I didn't notice any TFRs per this website (http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/ns/ ... 45_38.html)
I do understand I don't need their permission but I wanted to know their stance on this issue. I see now that their main concern is flying over large crowds which I never had any intention of doing.

Your intentions are in the right place. If I were you, I would black out the lights so you don't create any fuss. Don't fly over the crowds (you shouldn't have to) and try to stay below 400ft and you should be 100% legit.

I'll be flying my P2V+ from a distance so I'm not over people. Can anyone offer advice concerning camera settings for shooting the fireworks (they will be over a minor league baseball field)

Thanks

ianwood said:
If I were you, I would black out the lights so you don't create any fuss.

I was thinking about this but man . . . I've only flown once at night and the only reason I was able to navigate was because of the lights. I couldn't see crap through FPV. Total black.

ianwood said:
Your intentions are in the right place. If I were you, I would black out the lights so you don't create any fuss. Don't fly over the crowds (you shouldn't have to) and try to stay below 400ft and you should be 100% legit.

After reading here I understand that a good idea would be to put some black tape on the lights. Good idea.

This is totally unrelated to the subject but hopefully someone can help me. I can also start a separate thread.

I am looking to pursue legal counseling in the matter of aerial photography in my state.
I have been researching the Codes annotated.
http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

I have a question regarding a certain code or law.
http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/108/Bill/SB1892.pdf

It seems to me by section 3.12 That I'm able to work for a real estate company and take aerial photos but I'm not able to own a business that takes aerial photos.

GrantAerial said:
It seems to me by section 3.12 That I'm able to work for a real estate company and take aerial photos but I'm not able to own a business that takes aerial photos.

This hurts my brain.

I'm in the middle of researching all this myself in my state. So much crap to dig through.

poostik said:
GrantAerial said:

This hurts my brain.

I'm in the middle of researching all this myself in my state. So much crap to dig through.

It may hurt now but it will hurt even worse later on if you're not careful

I am also curious what settings yall will be using. I live in San Antonio and we have some amazing fireworks shows just hope the weather will hold out. I always doubt myself on the gopro settings / not happy with the final end results. Any tips would be appreciated.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik