Any luck getting approval from the airport?

Reaction score
I'm wanting to take my P3P into an area that is a no fly zone, it's a small airport, but an airport non the less and was going to seek permission from the airport for a day next week. Has anyone got the OK to do this? Did they set the date or did they allow you to?

Thanks!

I think you just show up to your flight spot and notify them right before launch.

I'm wanting to take my P3P into an area that is a no fly zone, it's a small airport, but an airport non the less and was going to seek permission from the airport for a day next week. Has anyone got the OK to do this? Did they set the date or did they allow you to?

Thanks!
If it's highlighted in red in the DGI go app you're just a lock there is no override short of taping aluminum foil on the top of the bird

You just need to inform them

If you are flying less than 5 miles you need to inform, but they need to allow.

The reason for this is that if they say no, you could be putting in danger real aircrafts with passengers. But (hopefully), if it's an adequate request, they should have no problems letting you fly.

I only called once, it was an international airport and I would be 4.6 miles from it.

1) I told them where I would be flying in relation to North: 4.6 miles SE on Radial 163° (where north is 0°).

2) the altitude (below 400ft).

3) the duration (from 19:00 to 20:30).

A second time I called (same location) but no one picked up... it is a 24hr airport, but who knows? Seen there was no risk for any aircraft, I decided to just leave a message to inform them.

Since Im doing most flights from that location and no one flies this low over here, I will try to talk them into creating something like a more permanent notam (several days)... dont know if they will be willing.

I just called the airport in question. They refereed me to our states local FAA safety director where I was able to only leave a voice mail.

I just called the airport in question. They refereed me to our states local FAA safety director where I was able to only leave a voice mail.

Hi 304 HighDrone,
I think there is some confusion as to Airports A and B. That classification is DJI and has nothing to do with the FAA.

The FAA classifies them as Class B, C, D and E. The airports that DJI calls A and B are pretty much those in FAA Classes B, C and D. These are airports that have operating control towers.

You need to find out if the airport you are Intersted in is in any of these 3 classes. Airports in Class E are small airports without control tower. Use this link https://www.airnav.com/airports/ to find the contact and phone information for any airport in the U.S. Also use Google Earth to find the correct name of the airport.

If the airport has a control tower, it may be difficult to get them to go along with you but you can try. If the airport does not have a control tower, then the owner/manager of the airport should be able to help you.

Things that you want to consider when you are informing them:
Try to stay away from the approach ends of the runway.
Inform them that you will be flying below 400ft or lower if possible.
Stay away from any manned aircraft.
Where and when you will be flying.

The proper FAA office to contact (FSDO), is the one having jurisdiction over the area you will be flying. Use this link to find this information: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

I hope this helps!

Reactions: StumbleBee
i called the tower tonight. as i usually do when flying in this particular area i like...theres a lake, and birds, and its people free. so this time, to cover my own ***, i recorded the call. and i will do that going forward. i will not post the audio, but it is clear, that after i state my name, my location, geographically, and the name of the actual city, my planned altitude, and a few other details...he gives me clearance to land, and to contact ground taxi once wheels down.

i couldnt believe my ears. i guess i cant blame him, as i am new, and not really sure what i should be telling these folks, but I am POSITIVE i said quadcopter, and taking video, in the same sentence...i guess this calling the tower thing is a work in progress.

too funny...clearance to land...i mean, i think i could have made it to one of the runways....3.9 miles...it'd be a stretch...but we can't taxi these things...no wheels!!!

Reactions: taroh
Hi 304 HighDrone,
I think there is some confusion as to Airports A and B. That classification is DJI and has nothing to do with the FAA.

The FAA classifies them as Class B, C, D and E. The airports that DJI calls A and B are pretty much those in FAA Classes B, C and D. These are airports that have operating control towers.

You need to find out if the airport you are Intersted in is in any of these 3 classes. Airports in Class E are small airports without control tower. Use this link https://www.airnav.com/airports/ to find the contact and phone information for any airport in the U.S. Also use Google Earth to find the correct name of the airport.

If the airport has a control tower, it may be difficult to get them to go along with you but you can try. If the airport does not have a control tower, then the owner/manager of the airport should be able to help you.

Things that you want to consider when you are informing them:
Try to stay away from the approach ends of the runway.
Inform them that you will be flying below 400ft or lower if possible.
Stay away from any manned aircraft.
Where and when you will be flying.

The proper FAA office to contact (FSDO), is the one having jurisdiction over the area you will be flying. Use this link to find this information: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/

I hope this helps!

Great info! Much appreciated!

Thanks!

If you are flying less than 5 miles you need to inform, but they need to allow.

The reason for this is that if they say no, you could be putting in danger real aircrafts with passengers. But (hopefully), if it's an adequate request, they should have no problems letting you fly.

If they say no, you shouldn't fly, thereby not risking any danger with full-sized aircraft. They don't 'need' to allow.

After around 10 calls and a couple of voice mails left and being transferred over a couple of days I finally spoke to the duty supervisor of the tower he explained to me they don't approve or deny. They just want to know where you will be and when you will be there. In my situation the airport sets about 300 feet above the city I will be flying in, however there concern was the 3 helicopter landing pads within the city. They requested that each time I took the bird up to call the tower and let them know and they would give me a 30 minute window to fly. I would need to call them each time I went up. I plan to fly around our state capital which is within the city, but I have to go today to fill out a form for permission to fly the grounds from the capital police.

Last edited:
that's nice that you are making the effort to inform the tower. are you really going to abide by their 30 minute window? when i call, i tell them how long i will be flying for, not vice versa. but if that makes you feel better, or you don't feel like ruffling their feathers ;) then thats understandable.

I will make my first call to the tower when I do the capital complex. Once I leave that area I will most likely not call again. I don't plan to exceed 200 feet and I have a spotter for the day so I think calling each time would be overkill.

I plan to fly around our state capital

Since you have 304 in your name I'm assuming you'll be flying around the Capitol in Charleston? :O I didn't think there was anyone else around here with a phantom. I'm about half a hour from Charleston

Since you have 304 in your name I'm assuming you'll be flying around the Capitol in Charleston? :O I didn't think there was anyone else around here with a phantom. I'm about half a hour from Charleston

Yes Charleston! I live just minutes from downtown. Not many of us around here :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20