Any less expensive idea for longer legs ?

AAC

Reaction score
I want to protect the gimbal and camera while landing on grass or somehow a hard landing if I made mistake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251536668411?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT this one seems work but expensive after adding shipping cost. Not sure if affix swimming noodle to the regular legs will cause unstable flying or even creates worst landing ?

I had a pair of those and they're pretty fragile and I broke one and bent the other in a hard landing.

$16 is a good price IMO, but it's up to you what you want to spend to protect your $700 gimbal.
This is another option which goes between the standard legs http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21811

I chose to go longer wider legs on mine which you can adjust to make it higher off the ground or wider & lower to make it more stable when landing in wind etc.

IMO a noodle would add way to much drag and would be a wind catcher for sure :shock:

Attachments

• Landing Gear.jpg
    Landing Gear.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 551
AAC said:
I want to protect the gimbal and camera while landing on grass or somehow a hard landing if I made mistake.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251536668411?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT this one seems work but expensive after adding shipping cost. Not sure if affix swimming noodle to the regular legs will cause unstable flying or even creates worst landing ?

you can get those same long legs for $6 -$9 on ebay.

I think 13 dollars for international postage is pretty good.

What price was your postage?

Great Idea, but not sure about the leg support for hand catching. I catch mine on the struts with thumb and pointer finger tightly gripped close under the chassis. I think the bend on those wider supports would stress too much for the style of catch I use.

Having said that though - I think I would definitely but one if I had anything other than the vision plus camera and would no doubt slight adjust my hand catch.

Again, I'm curious ... how much was your postage cost?

I can't help but think its a reasonable price for a total of $30.00 including international shipping costs.

Hell I have seen DJI charging more than that for flimsy props.

Hey you know what - Those extended landing skids would be great for extra space needed for whatever kind of Pay load. Payload or Payload plus Camera. I'd like to do a Live Video Feed to my friends whilst using the FPV camera at the same time. I think these Landing skids would be great for something like that as well as it's intended use for protection. Despite hand catching - Taking off can be a ***** from ground level and I prefer to avoid launching from my hand if I can help it. Yet to practice that.

With regard to wind drag, I'd have to see a review before amusing to much on that - as I don't think it would be to great and if you consider using a small payload, the weight ratio may very well make it rather stable if enough power on the drone to fly it about. --- Again I am really interested in these for decking out some kind of payload frame.

Those fold up ones do look fancy though. ;)

Have not read yet - hey much do they weigh?

i had the same ones fitted & never had any issues with them, if i wasn't going for retractables their'd still be on now

I have the carbon fiber version of the camera protector:
http://uavbits.weebly.com

I wouldn't attempt to land in grass with this installed though. The Phantom would probably tip over if the grass was not super short.

Perhaps a landing platform would be a better idea?

We now have extensions for the carbon fiber camera guard that make landing in grass a snap. We also have helipad landing pads.
Check out the switchblade, it will go on sale this weekend. Our Spider Legs are now stronger and lighter. Most overseas shipping is only $6-$8
UAVbits.weebly.com
Sorry for the plug, I get excited about our designs for the Phantom. They are all my own designs and I test all of them.
:D

Love the take off Pad! Little things like that can make a huge difference. The lower to the ground I am, I find more chance of wind toppling the drone. But the little pad I could use to take off behind a small rock wall facing the ocean breeze. Nice products. I just hate landing at all in windy conditions, so pretty much hand catch each time. Nice plan on the design you have for the camera guard your selling there. Kind of makes me wish I had persevered with my 3D printer. I'll pass the links on to my mate.

Cheers.

AAC said:
I have that landing gear of $16. Works splended : flys stable, land stable, protects camara better and no interferance with video view. Great cost - benifit ratio. So just buy them, they are well worth the money.

I took a plastic coat hangar, cut 2 pieces to size to fit across the bottom of the landing gear.

I compressed the ends of the pieces so they would fit in the inside groove in the bottom of the landing gear, affixed them up against the center divider in the bottom of the gear, and tie-wrapped em there. Conveniently, this placed them directly under teh main gimbal arm.

What that does is create a much stronger box for the camera to fit in. These stock landing gear fold up like a bad suit. Just simple measures will get you much better camera protection at 0 cost.

I had an ESC issue which made a motor cut out sometimes - in troubleshooting that, I crashed from 20 and 40 feet onto dirt - and hard. The new strut popped off. The camera/gimbal were untouched.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1