Any Ideas? New Phantom 3 hovers in circles

Good luck sir. Please loop back and give us an update if you don't mind. Cheers!

OK... Here is the result and a video showing the problem.

I flew it tonight in two different locations. One was a football field and the other was a smaller crater field. In both locations the Phantom 3 Professional would not hover in one spot or stay at one height. As a matter of fact the GPS would go on and off and I would also get a compass error while the Phantom was 50 to 100 feet in the air. It would tell me that I was too close to metal objects.... Metal objects at 50 to 100 feet in the air????

Here is the video I made. I opened a ticket with DJI yesterday and they have not got back to me. The video is for them, but I'll leave it on YouTube in case someone else has similar problems.

If anyone has any suggested solutions.... fire away.

Thanks

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did a IMU calibration on a level tile floor and got a bad Imu calibration with numbers out of range. There was an metal air duct right under the tile floor, which was causing the high range of numbers.... moved a few feet away and all good.

Causation does not equal correlation.

I'm afraid they have sent you a bad unit.
OK... Here is the result and a video showing the problem.

I flew it tonight in two different locations. One was a football field and the other was a smaller crater field. In both locations the Phantom 3 Professional would not hover in one spot or stay at one height. As a matter of fact the GPS would go on and off and I would also get a compass error while the Phantom was 50 to 100 feet in the air. It would tell me that I was too close to metal objects.... Metal objects at 50 to 100 feet in the air????

Here is the video I made. I opened a ticket with DJI yesterday and they have not got back to me. The video is for them, but I'll leave it on YouTube in case someone else has similar problems.

If anyone has any suggested solutions.... fire away.

Thanks

Well, you and I both got defective birds via DJI replacement. I received my new bird (P3P, battery, props only) about 3 weeks ago and went through all proper setup and mine would drift to the left or fly back straight at me. Repeated IMU and compass calibrations and flew at different location without any changes. Had to deal with them and send this new replacement off for repair.

It is definitely a compass problem. This is what is called toilet bowling. It happens when you have a bad compass, improper compass orientation, the PIDS are set to sensitive, electrical interference to the compass, like the compass has been placed to close to wiring or heavy vibrations like a unbalanced prop(s) or unbalanced motor. Even slight vibrations can cause this. I had a build where I chased this down for a long time, I finally replaced the compass and all was good.
Can you see if the compass module is in the right place? Maybe the wiring got pinched during assembly?
Its not the GPS. It is just confused because it cant get a proper compass reading. That is one of the reason these things should have two compasses.

If I had to guess, my replacement was brand new, at least it appeared to be.

Reactions: mikesmiley
Well, you and I both got defective birds via DJI replacement. I received my new bird (P3P, battery, props only) about 3 weeks ago and went through all proper setup and mine would drift to the left or fly back straight at me. Repeated IMU and compass calibrations and flew at different location without any changes. Had to deal with them and send this new replacement off for repair.
Perhaps they sent me yours. :)

It is definitely a compass problem. This is what is called toilet bowling. It happens when you have a bad compass, improper compass orientation, the PIDS are set to sensitive, electrical interference to the compass, like the compass has been placed to close to wiring or heavy vibrations like a unbalanced prop(s) or unbalanced motor. Even slight vibrations can cause this. I had a build where I chased this down for a long time, I finally replaced the compass and all was good.
Can you see if the compass module is in the right place? Maybe the wiring got pinched during assembly?
Its not the GPS. It is just confused because it cant get a proper compass reading. That is one of the reason these things should have two compasses.
From what I can see on the exterior, all looks fine. Since this one was just received, I'm not going to open it up, but either send it off for repair or replacement. This is the first time dealing with DJI support.... they are rather Slooooooowwwww.

Reactions: HWCM
How long did it take before they sent you a shipping notice? And where did they have you send it for repair? Any idea on turn around time? Finally, was there not the simple offer to just replace it?

I got the label the following day for it to be express shipped (overnight) to CA. They claimed they would have it back to me within 5 days of receipt however, I wouldn't ever count on them being prompt on any promise regarding time.

Reactions: flpholt
I got the label the following day for it to be express shipped (overnight) to CA. They claimed they would have it back to me within 5 days of receipt however, I wouldn't ever count on them being prompt on any promise regarding time.
Yikes! I can't even get a response from the support email. They opened an automatic ticket 2 days ago based on an online form I completed and I've Heard nothing. Did you call them or email?

Yikes! I can't even get a response from the support email. They opened an automatic ticket 2 days ago based on an online form I completed and I've Heard nothing. Did you call them or email?
gotta love dji and there support

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers