Any guide to purchasing used batteries?

Reaction score
I have two new batteries but would like at least two more to give me about an hour of flying time per use. I purchased a battery off of ebay which was listed as basically new but when I got it the DJI Go app showed that it had been charged 43 times and on the first flight after a full charge the battery charge indicator dropped to 42% and I got a "battery voltage critically low" warning and the aircraft was forced to land.

After a long drawn out back and forth with the seller she finally agreed to take it back and issue a refund. Is there any questioned that I should ask prior to buying a used battery? How many charge/discharge cycles do you all believe is an acceptable amount? Should I even take the risk and just save up until I can buy new ones?

If you're a new guy, I'd recommend buying new batteries.

Maybe later when you learn much more about DJI Lipos you can consider a used battery.

Reactions: Dione
If you're a new guy, I'd recommend buying new batteries.

Maybe later when you learn much more about DJI Lipos you can consider a used battery.
I agree. Dont buy used batteries. Been flying lipos since they were just individual cells, and would never consider buying used batteries.

Three to ZERO. Don't buy used, unless it's from a friend (someone you know).

Thanks....I figured that would be the answer but I figured it would not hurt to ask.

I was thinking that there might be a way to hack the usage count through the firmware to change it to whatever one wanted. Example... an old battery with 100 uses on it somehow changed to only 8 uses. Kind of like spinning the mileage back on a lease. People do that all the time. That's why I'd be leary of used.

I agree that used lipo's are not worth buying.

But your own used battery's that are not so good for flying definitely have a place. Why use your nice flight battery for bench setups - installation checks - FW upgrades etc. Keep the old for that.

I have old lipo's for my RC collection - allows me to test run motors, check setup, balancing of models ..... the list goes on and my good flight jobs can sit quiet.

Nigel

If anyone has worked out a way to reset the counter - then PLEASE tell me how via private message or email. For my own use only.

Nigel

I would never consider buying used batteries. Not too smart.

At present I am asking guys I fly with for old Phantom 3 battery's - in furtherance of my investigation into their control board and FW setup.

But not intended for flight use.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers