Any GoPro experts?

Reaction score
So I have a Hero 4 with a broken lens. I decided to try to fix it myself tonight I stripped it down following a YouTube video and swapped the lens out. After reassembly couldn't get it to power up, after checking all the cable/connections all was well so I tried again but still nothing only the charging light. Undeterred I decided to try a hard boot which has been known to jump start unresponsive GoPros which involved applying power, holding all three buttons and inserting the battery. To my delight the GoPro powered up and everything seemed to work including a short video. But then I realised the front mode button would not power off the GoPro or change mode. Despite this it records and the shutter and side buttons work. I pulled the battery to shut it down and then tried to power it up again but the front button is still unresponsive. I managed to kick start it again and had the same control as before but can't change mode or power down.

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? I've cleaned the contacts of the mode button and I feel it clicking but it has no effect. Can anyone help me debug this or point me to the connection that is faulty

So I have a Hero 4 with a broken lens. I decided to try to fix it myself tonight I stripped it down following a YouTube video and swapped the lens out. After reassembly couldn't get it to power up, after checking all the cable/connections all was well so I tried again but still nothing only the charging light. Undeterred I decided to try a hard boot which has been known to jump start unresponsive GoPros which involved applying power, holding all three buttons and inserting the battery. To my delight the GoPro powered up and everything seemed to work including a short video. But then I realised the front mode button would not power off the GoPro or change mode. Despite this it records and the shutter and side buttons work. I pulled the battery to shut it down and then tried to power it up again but the front button is still unresponsive. I managed to kick start it again and had the same control as before but can't change mode or power down.

Does anyone know how I can fix this ? I've cleaned the contacts of the mode button and I feel it clicking but it has no effect. Can anyone help me debug this or point me to the connection that is faulty

Watch this video on the replacement of the LCD display and how ribbon cable is attached to the backside of the board. Make sure you connected it fully and correctly before locking it down.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Maybe you use a lens protector after this.

Thanks. I saw that one before I started and I'm sure that ribbon cable is fitted correct. I guess I'll try again tonight. Let's hope I've not broken a track or something

I have one but it makes the GoPro very nose heavy...

No idea what you are using that makes nose heavy. I have used these on all three of my cameras and taken one and made a sun hood for it. Just the lens protector is 3 grams and with the sun hood it's 9 grams and using either one doesn't present any problems. Better then having to replace a damaged lens that's for sure.
IMG_2540.jpg
lens protector.jpg

No idea what you are using that makes nose heavy. I have used these on all three of my cameras and taken one and made a sun hood for it. Just the lens protector is 3 grams and with the sun hood it's 9 grams and using either one doesn't present any problems. Better then having to replace a damaged lens that's for sure.
View attachment 37890 View attachment 37891
I'd be interested in the lens protector where did you source that one. I have an ND filter which screws into a metal collar which fits onto the GoPro lens. Currently this makes it nose heavy

I'd be interested in the lens protector where did you source that one. I have an ND filter which screws into a metal collar which fits onto the GoPro lens. Currently this makes it nose heavy

Here's a link for the GoPro protective lens covers on ebay UK.
Genuine GoPro Protective Lens Kit - Fits All GoPro Camera Models

Now the protector with sunhood I made that from very light plastic and super glued it the lens protector then shaped it an finger nail emery board. There are other ways of making a sunhood and it also depends on which lens setting you are using ultra wide, medium or narrow so the depth would have to be shortened to keep it out of the video.
IMG_3286.jpg

Much appreciated. That protector looks so much lighter than the metal thing I bought :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31