ANY Family Members Get A Drone For Christmas?!

Reaction score
I'm on Facebook, and 50 percent of my relatives are posting about the cool drones they got. I'm telling them they have to register with the government.................. they cannot believe it lol!! There are going to be a LOT of unhappy campers come tomorrow I think!!

It takes 5 minutes to register. They'll waste more time being upset about it ;)

It takes 5 minutes to register. They'll waste more time being upset about it ;)
It's not that they're against it, or are arguing like we do here. It's that they are just stupefied that they have to do it. They cannot believe they have to register with the government to fly their new toy. But I'm slowly convincing them, I think. Got the register URL ready for pasting.

I'm on Facebook, and 50 percent of my relatives are posting about the cool drones they got. I'm telling them they have to register with the government.................. they cannot believe it lol!! There are going to be a LOT of unhappy campers come tomorrow I think!!

There's going to be a lot of new criminals tomorrow as well. :p

There's going to be a lot of new criminals tomorrow as well. :p
It'll be interesting to see how the FAA gets the word out to everyone who doesn't come to places like this.

Reactions: 750r
It'll be interesting to see how the FAA gets the word out to everyone who doesn't come to places like this.
That's what I want to know ?
I know people that don't do forums I think if you put all the fourms together that's only maybe half the people that own something that falls under the registration . How do they make everyone in the U.S. Know ? How many people are going to get into trouble (if harassed) because they had no clue ? I've read that even people selling are not saying anything .

I've read it's above the weight limit that Snerd implied was below 2 lbs, and the potential penalty for not registering is $250,000 and 25 years in prison, BUT such penalties would only be used for exceptionally draconian cases. I'M BREATHING EASIER!

Snerd, I hope your nephews are going to be OK! Delay any trust fund arrangements. LOL

It does seem liked registration will be easy IF you are already into this hobby, and you have some online literacy.

A FRESH QUESTION (Well for me LOL). You have to affix your registration number onto your "drone", correct? How big does it have to be? Affixed where? My letters will not be any larger than legally required. With "drone haters and shooters" running around, I'm sure they'll call the official "Drone Hater Hot Line" to report violations. Imaginary or otherwise. No 800 number! They should charge $5/call to verify seriousness, with the call volume possibly wipe out our national debt! LOL

Sorry folks, my bad about the registration sticker size. I envisioned us having to tow banners or something. But msinger aka as Phantom Help posted some links. Smaller than a quarter! I wonder if the font is defined?

It's obviously for identification once it's done some atrocity on the ground. Some hunters have some high magnification scopes. I SWEAR I'VE READ THE FAA HAS RECRUITED SOME HUNTERS TO LOOK FOR STICKERS. IF THEY CAN'T SEE ONE THEY CAN SHOOT IT DOWN AND BRING IT IN FOR A BOUNTY!

WHAT A COOL RUMOR! COULD IT GO VIRAL?! Why am I not sleeping? LOL

I wonder if the font is defined?
The FAA does not have specific details on the font face and/or size. However, you should use good judgement when choosing both. Don't use a font face that is hard to read or a font size that requires a magnifying glass to be viewed.

The Syma X5c seems to be a popular one this year! At 2lbs, it has to be registered.
No big deal but the 2 lb. stat is the weight of the X5c-1 shipping box (975 g). The shipping box includes packaging, drone, battery, camera, charger, remote, and cables. There is a good YouTube video that checks thrust from the drone and it establishes the flight weight of the drone, battery and camera as ~107 grams. If that is accurate, no registration required.

I bought my son (who is 36) a P3S for Christmas. I also registered it as well for him. Today I will spend a lot time going over the drone with him and test flying in the back. I live out in the country, nothing to run into but maybe a cow. Makes for some great shots of farming. Lol

Reactions: jryser and NCFlyGuy
To say people don't know about the FAA registration process is beyond me. The news media both TV & Radio have been telling & reminding the public that registration must be made before flying for the last week or more.

The news media both TV & Radio have been telling & reminding the public that registration must be made before flying for the last week or more.
I don't know how many people are like me, but I rarely watch TV and I only listen to satellite radio. So, I'm really out of the loop on what the FAA has been doing on the TV and radio.

THIS is how they are going to solve the national debt. Fine all the new drone owners that didn't know. </humor>

I don't know how many people are like me, but I rarely watch TV and I only listen to satellite radio. So, I'm really out of the loop on what the FAA has been doing on the TV and radio.
That's understandable. However, newspapers as well as even common folk talk about it. For example, in a barbershop some perfect stranger may say, "So, did you hear? All these drones have to be registered now." There's no denying someone can be totally oblivious to it.

That's what I want to know ?
I know people that don't do forums I think if you put all the fourms together that's only maybe half the people that own something that falls under the registration . How do they make everyone in the U.S. Know ? How many people are going to get into trouble (if harassed) because they had no clue ? I've read that even people selling are not saying anything .

Well, the reason I knew it needed to be registered is because it's in the product description when buying it. I know, it's not on ALL vender sites, but it's only a matter of a little time. I'm actually surprised I didn't find it on DJI's website and if it is there then they did a bad job at displaying it because it's not easily visible.

Attachments

• 2015-12-25_10-25-11.jpg
    2015-12-25_10-25-11.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 299
  • 2015-12-25_10-28-31.jpg
    2015-12-25_10-28-31.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 358
LOL, I got a text last night from my 67 year old sister in southern Colorado, asking me what it means to "fly headless." She bought herself a P3P for Xmas. She had already registered it and made a few flights.
Not worried about her. About 20 years ago when she was newly divorced and her youngest child had moved out, she traded her Saab for an Ultralight, took some lessons and flew that thing for a decade before she lost interest.

Reactions: Jeff48920

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl