Any credible roumours on the P5 ?

Reaction score
Hey

About to maybe investing in p4pro. Any roumours on P5 ?? What is normal cycle. I cant help but think that the p5 will be built like the mavic but a bit bigger, and i LIKE that concept but want the better sensor

Yes it will be better than the P4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is 100% accurate. The P5 will be better than the P4p. So if you want the better bird wait for the P5. If you want one better than the P5 wait and the P5p will be released. If you want one better....

You get the point.

Can I persuade you to only ask better questions?

The only thing I know about the Phantom 5 is that the P6 will come out within a year of the P5. P7 will follow soon after that.

Here is my advice to you. Decide what you want in a bird. Find the one that suits you and buy it when you are able. I had a P3s P3p and was just about to pull the trigger on a P4. The Mavic came out. It was exactly what I wanted. The portability video quality was exactly what I wanted. I bought it day one. Was lucky enough to get one early.

I advise you to do the same. Look at what is out and select from that. As soon as you buy it. DJI or some other company will release something better. That's just the nature of this hobby. New birds come out yearly for DJI. So the P5 will likely be out sometime in April. The P5 Pro December. Mavic 2 October... That's just the nature of the game. If you are on a budget gut the P4 it is probaly the best bang for the buck right now. If you want the best DJI has to offer buy a P4p. You will be top DJI dog for about 3 months. Or jump ship and get an Xstar Premium at least it is modular and you can upgrade the camera. I'm betting upgrading the camera will be expensive though but look out.. Autel is releasing a new Xstar Premium with retractable landing gear obstacle avoidance the whole 9 yards.... So once again.. Buy what you want and what suits you and don't look back the upgrade for your current bird is just around the corner.

Oh here is something else to consider. These birds have really poor resale value. When the new bird comes out DJI and competitors drop the price on your current bird buy as much as 40%. So you cant sell your old without taking a huge hit. So chose wisely and be ok with the price you pay when you make your purchase. So if you really like the P4p wait until April to buy it if you are on a budget. If you just have to have a bird now get a P4... $800 is a steal for a P4. About a month ago P4's were well over 1K and had the same value as a Mavic.. Not today.

It is 100% accurate. The P5 will be better than the P4p. So if you want the better bird wait for the P5. If you want one better than the P5 wait and the P5p will be released. If you want one better....

You get the point.

Can I persuade you to only ask better questions?

No any person with a bit of tech knowledge would now that new models are not a straight path forwards. Great features are sometimes omitted in the developmental line, new design can for some be worse than the predecessor. So your statement is obviously wrong.

Here is my advice to you. Decide what you want in a bird. Find the one that suits you and buy it when you are able. I had a P3s P3p and was just about to pull the trigger on a P4. The Mavic came out. It was exactly what I wanted. The portability video quality was exactly what I wanted. I bought it day one. Was lucky enough to get one early.

I advise you to do the same. Look at what is out and select from that. As soon as you buy it. DJI or some other company will release something better. That's just the nature of this hobby. New birds come out yearly for DJI. So the P5 will likely be out sometime in April. The P5 Pro December. Mavic 2 October... That's just the nature of the game. If you are on a budget gut the P4 it is probaly the best bang for the buck right now. If you want the best DJI has to offer buy a P4p. You will be top DJI dog for about 3 months. Or jump ship and get an Xstar Premium at least it is modular and you can upgrade the camera. I'm betting upgrading the camera will be expensive though but look out.. Autel is releasing a new Xstar Premium with retractable landing gear obstacle avoidance the whole 9 yards.... So once again.. Buy what you want and what suits you and don't look back the upgrade for your current bird is just around the corner.

Oh here is something else to consider. These birds have really poor resale value. When the new bird comes out DJI and competitors drop the price on your current bird buy as much as 40%. So you cant sell your old without taking a huge hit. So chose wisely and be ok with the price you pay when you make your purchase. So if you really like the P4p wait until April to buy it if you are on a budget. If you just have to have a bird now get a P4... $800 is a steal for a P4. About a month ago P4's were well over 1K and had the same value as a Mavic.. Not today.

Thanks for a very usefull post. I DO know what a want / need, the problem is that i am unsure if the current line can deliver what i need. I currently fly a p3pro, and is not satisfied with the video downlink to the pilot, that's my main gripe in fact.

From your first post you want (or at least you are seemingly hoping) the P5 will be built more like the mavic and you would like a better sensor. Now it seems your after better downlink performance.

At a guess- the P5 probably will keep the familiar phantom style. It may have a better sensor depending on what the contracted camera supplier has available at the time. It won't be M43 as that might detract from the perceived value of the inspire series.

It is unlikely video downlink will be significantly improved as DJI are limited by the wifi standards and international regulations concerning frequency allocations and Tx power.

I frequently rant and rave about this topic, but since I'm still awake, I will continue in this thread. If you see the drone offerings and proposed offerings in the CES '17, they are VERY evolutionary in thought and design. Posters in this and similar forums have differing ideas on the next generation Phantom. Some say they want it to be waterproof, some want retractable landing gear with a 360 gimbal, some want a removable camera/choice of camera option, while some want more color choices and longer flight times. To me, the longer flight time and camera choice is worth it, since I don't have 3 hands and a juggler's mind to control a camera while flying.

My hope of hopes is that the next generation "Phantom" is simply a Mavic Pro platform which is large enough to properly fly a future camera. The Mavic Pro design, being camera forward, top mounted battery, and folding arms. The front mounted camera allows for more aggressive flying and higher camera angles so props, prop shadows and landing gear are more limited in the camera frame. The top mounted battery allows upward battery real estate for higher capacity batteries while maintaining center of gravity. The folding arms, are of course, for better portability and faster/easier setup.

Since the Mavic Pro has already been released, I can't call this possible next generation "Phantom", "revolutionary." If DJI decides to release basically a Phantom 4 Pro with the features I mentioned above(360 gimbal, waterproof, multiple colors, etc), I just don't know if my drone hobby will last the limited lifespan of my Phantom 4.

Reactions: uavflyr
Thanks for a very usefull post. I DO know what a want / need, the problem is that i am unsure if the current line can deliver what i need. I currently fly a p3pro, and is not satisfied with the video downlink to the pilot, that's my main gripe in fact.
I feel exactly the same way about wants/needs. Deciding to buy what is available and not quite what you want or need, may not be the best decision. Deciding to wait until you see what you want or need to become available ,may be the best decision. Since you already have a drone, this is a viable option for you.

Can I persuade you to ask better questions?
Ok then..LOL

any person with a bit of tech knowledge would now that new models are not a straight path forwards..
Well I don't agree when it comes to the Phantom series. In my opinion there are incremental changes not groundbreaking innovation. YMMV depending on what you call a "straight path."

I have owned three iterations of the Phantoms. There has not been huge changes between them. I look at DJI like I look at Apple. Small changes between versions. The innovation came with the Mavic. For what it's worth, I can tell you that the Mavics downlink is much better than a P3p. I own both. The Mavic has almost no breakup or pixelation, in comparison, even at long distances. 16K feet out...

So my advice is find what you like and get it. The next version will always be "better" that's the nature of this hobby. If you aren't satisfied with the downlink get one of the folks here to demo the bird of choice and have a look.

Perhaps it's something else causing your bad downlink issues. I have the P3A and have been out miles and miles with no upgraded antennas and have had perfect video link the entire time.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj