Any advice how to achieve smooth turns on video?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to achieve smooth turns left or right on a video while flying forward with my P3P.

I achieved some improvement by turning left or right controls very very slowly but it still wasn't satisfactory to me. As soon as I touch the control no matter how gently it is I can see a turn on a video.

Is there anything I can do to make a turn smooth?

Do you guys use 3rd party applications and flight plans for that?

Thanks.

You could try adjusting the sensitivity of the controls by tweaking the expo settings.
This reduces the sensitivity near the centre of travel for the sticks.
i-ZNgPbZp-L.png

Reactions: apprentice
Put in small, but about equal amounts of aileron and rudder, just as you would with a plane or heli. Also, nd filters to bring your shutter speed down to 2x the frame rate

Are you flying in GPS mode? If you are you can switch to ATTI mode (no GPS hold) and that will smooth things out a lot. In GPS mode every time you let off the sticks the "brakes" are applied and causes jerky 'copter movements.

You could try adjusting the sensitivity of the controls by tweaking the expo settings.
This reduces the sensitivity near the centre of travel for the sticks.
Oh thank you very much. I'll definitely try that.

Put in small, but about equal amounts of aileron and rudder, just as you would with a plane or heli. Also, nd filters to bring your shutter speed down to 2x the frame rate
Thank you.
Would you mind asking you what type of ND filters to you use. I definitely have to purchase some. The shutter speed during the test yesterday was 1/2000 which was way too fast.

Are you flying in GPS mode? If you are you can switch to ATTI mode (no GPS hold) and that will smooth things out a lot. In GPS mode every time you let off the sticks the "brakes" are applied and causes jerky 'copter movements.
Thank you very much.
I'm only flying the P-GPS mode. But I currently didn't find anything on how to switch to P-ATTI. The user manual only says the P3P switches the mode automatically (page 11).

Looks like this video on YouTube could be a solution.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And this one
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
A method that works well for me is to use the POI (point of interest) capability. Point the camera out rather than in and adjust the gimbal to take in the appropriate view. Experiment with speed and radius to get the effect you like. Results in a very smooth video pan motion.

I put a small plastic tab on the left stick. Those key chain cards that stores give out work great. Then when I make my turn, my left thumb holds the tab against the controller and locks the stick in place. If I need to make adjustments, I move the tab a little. I've got some nice smooth video as I make my turns with this method. I can't take credit for the idea; read it on this forum somewhere.

You want to fly smooth?
1. Go to a large field. Leave your phone/tablet at home.
2. Take off WITHOUT A MONITOR (gps mode ok, but manual mode is better) and slowly fly around .
3. Get smooth. Use both stick input while turning. Try flying figure 8-s.
4. "Until you can do these steps, you will not fly smoothly grasshopper"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31