Any advantage to using V2.1 ESC's in P2? T-Motor Mod?

K

Kubelwagen

While working on two recently acquired P2's that I'll call P2-A & P2-B, I noticed that P2-B has one V2.1 ESC with 960KV motor. The rest of the ESC's are not labeled so presuming V2.0, and the motors are unmarked so presuming OEM 2212.

Since P2-A will be my main camera drone, I ordered a replacement ESC for P2-B that is supposedly a new V2.0, and ordered a T-motor upgrade for P2-A. Then I'll use one of those motors with the new old ESC on P2-B. This should make the ESC's and motors all match on both machines.

However, the supplier described the ESC as V2.1 but in the picture he shows there is no V2.1 on the white SN label. Just the SN which would indicate it's actually a V2.0. He's double checking this now.

If he posted the wrong picture and it really is a V2.1 ESC, then I'll have to buy 4 to make sure they all match in one of the P2's.

My question is, is there any advantage at all to using a V2.1 ESC in a P2 that isn't using the 2312 motors? The T-motor upgrade is supposedly completely compatible with the stock V2.0 ESC's so thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
While working on two recently acquired P2's that I'll call P2-A & P2-B, I noticed that P2-B has one V2.1 ESC with 960KVA motor. The rest of the ESC's are not labeled so presuming V2.0, and the motors are unmarked so presuming OEM 2212.

Since P2-A will be my main camera drone, I ordered a replacement ESC for P2-B that is supposedly a new V2.0, and ordered a T-motor upgrade for P2-A. Then I'll use one of those motors with the new old ESC on P2-B. This should make the ESC's and motors all match on both machines.

However, the supplier described the ESC as V2.1 but in the picture he shows there is no V2.1 on the white SN label. Just the SN which would indicate it's actually a V2.0. He's double checking this now.

If he posted the wrong picture and it really is a V2.1 ESC, then I'll have to buy 4 to make sure they all match in one of the P2's.

My question is, is there any advantage at all to using a V2.1 ESC in a P2 that isn't using the 2312 motors? The T-motor upgrade is supposedly completely compatible with the stock V2.0 ESC's so thoughts?

I have P2 NV v1 and the ESC module had no marking on the boards so one could only assume they were v2.0 but when I needed to replace one ESC board it was with a v2.1 along with 4 new 2212 motors. No problems whatsoever.

If you are sure the motors you have in P2-B are 960kv then they are thee heavy duty 2312 motors. Those motors were put into P2 NV v2 along with the 9450 props to lift heavier loads and would probably be beneficial for any P2 NV since DJI's stated takeoff weight is 1300 grams and most of us flying with weights of 1332 grams or more which cuts into flight time. The standard motors that came with the original P2's were the 2212 920kv motors.

Three of the motors in my P2-B are stock 2212 with V2.0 ESC. One motor is 2312 with V2.1 ESC. While that ESC is correct for the motor, one should NEVER mismatch motors, and in my opinion, ESC's as well.

I did a bunch of research on this and many people who had all stock V2.0 ESC's and 2212 motors reported odd flight behavior after replacing one defective V2.0 ESC with a V2.1 ESC. "Twitching" was a common description.

The hardware between the two versions of ESC is reportedly the same. It's the firmware that's been updated in order to better manage the higher current draw of the beefier 2312 motor. Personally I wouldn't want to run one ESC with different firmware than the other three.

It sounds like mismatching the ESC versions is hit and miss. Doesn't work for some, works ok for others. I won't do it but that's just me.

I agree that V2.1 ESC's and 2312 motors would indeed be a good move to better handle a loaded P2. But I've decided to build a Tarot 680 Pro for the more serious stuff anyway.

Three of the motors in my P2-B are stock 2212 with V2.0 ESC. One motor is 2312 with V2.1 ESC. While that ESC is correct for the motor, one should NEVER mismatch motors, and in my opinion, ESC's as well.

I did a bunch of research on this and many people who had all stock V2.0 ESC's and 2212 motors reported odd flight behavior after replacing one defective V2.0 ESC with a V2.1 ESC. "Twitching" was a common description.

The hardware between the two versions of ESC is reportedly the same. It's the firmware that's been updated in order to better manage the higher current draw of the beefier 2312 motor. Personally I wouldn't want to run one ESC with different firmware than the other three.

It sounds like mismatching the ESC versions is hit and miss. Doesn't work for some, works ok for others. I won't do it but that's just me.

I agree that V2.1 ESC's and 2312 motors would indeed be a good move to better handle a loaded P2. But I've decided to build a Tarot 680 Pro for the more serious stuff anyway.

I agree about mismatched motors but not with the ESC modules. I have been flying with 3 v2.0 and 1 v2.1 for over year now with no ill effects whatsoever in flight characteristics.

Got 4 new V2.1 ESC's and 2312 motors. The stock stuff will then go into the 2nd bird. All matching and balanced.

By the way, have a brand new set of Tiger T-motors for sale now. Still in the box all pretty.

Got 4 new V2.1 ESC's and 2312 motors. The stock stuff will then go into the 2nd bird. All matching and balanced.

By the way, have a brand new set of Tiger T-motors for sale now. Still in the box all pretty.

Maybe you should list those motors in the classifieds

Not a bad idea.

I was just looking for some motors for a quad I'm 3D printing. What model/speed are the Tigers? I ended up ordering AX-4008D 620kV motors from China, since they were recommended for this particular build.

These are listed as 2214-11 920KV. The specs claim they have 15% more power than the stock 2212 motors and are 8% more efficient.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow, nice. The quad I'm building I believe tops out at about 1700g, so that's why the 620's were recommended. I must have looked around for 2 weeks trying to figure out kV values, thrust, weight, etc. I ended up just going with what the designer recommended because I was so lost... but I'm still learning. All of the parts are slowly rolling in, so I'm hoping to have it done before Christmas.Gonna practice my soldering skills (or lack thereof) before I get everything going... lol

Yeah they are pretty. Good luck with your build. Nothing can be more satisfying than building something yourself.

I have a guy picking up some carbon fiber props in the morning and he said that rather than spending money on upgrade motors he'd rather upgrade to a P3. I told him that I build my own camera and video systems and would rather upgrade a P2. Beyond that it's on to a hexicopter that can better handle bigger camera platforms.

Speaking of that, I love this video. It's a Phantom tow-hexicopter.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'll be using a 2D gimbal on my long range fixed wing just so the video still has a natural feel when turning or banking.

Wow, nice. The quad I'm building I believe tops out at about 1700g, so that's why the 620's were recommended. I must have looked around for 2 weeks trying to figure out kV values, thrust, weight, etc. I ended up just going with what the designer recommended because I was so lost... but I'm still learning. All of the parts are slowly rolling in, so I'm hoping to have it done before Christmas.Gonna practice my soldering skills (or lack thereof) before I get everything going... lol

Yes work on those soldering skills as I don't what to post this picture after you crashed.
DJI Boneyard.jpg
funnysmiley6.gif

I agree about mismatched motors but not with the ESC modules. I have been flying with 3 v2.0 and 1 v2.1 for over year now with no ill effects whatsoever in flight characteristics.
I dropped my P2V2 into the water close to the beach with GPro hanging off my H3 3D. I am still trying to fathom out how my machine sped forward over the water, funky behaviour probably due to an extension I built to lower the GPro by 2 inches from the body of the machine which would have allowed me to film slightly up from horizontal point. Not sure. Another issue.
Anyway, , the machine and camera dried out after emptying a full can of contact cleaner through every working part and board, including the GPro for 3 months. Had it tested and It seems to work now apart from one of my ESC's which appears to be faulty. It's a V2.0 (as are the other 3). I've been searching for the same model but can only find a V2.1 on the net.
Jason you seem confident. Installing a V2.1 will do the job without me having to match the other 3 to it? Have you had issues since you posted here?

I dropped my P2V2 into the water close to the beach with GPro hanging off my H3 3D. I am still trying to fathom out how my machine sped forward over the water, funky behaviour probably due to an extension I built to lower the GPro by 2 inches from the body of the machine which would have allowed me to film slightly up from horizontal point. Not sure. Another issue.
Anyway, , the machine and camera dried out after emptying a full can of contact cleaner through every working part and board, including the GPro for 3 months. Had it tested and It seems to work now apart from one of my ESC's which appears to be faulty. It's a V2.0 (as are the other 3). I've been searching for the same model but can only find a V2.1 on the net.
Jason you seem confident. Installing a V2.1 will do the job without me having to match the other 3 to it? Have you had issues since you posted here?

First off where do you live?

looked for the location option, couldn't figure it out.
Paris, Fr
Go into your personal details and add your location please.

I replace one of mine with a v2.1 ESC module and haven't any problems with doing so. Personally I think the dji personnel were all wet about the difference in the ESC boards. Communication was not one of their strong points.

Go into your personal details and add your location please.

I replace one of mine with a v2.1 ESC module and haven't any problems with doing so. Personally I think the dji personnel were all wet about the difference in the ESC boards. Communication was not one of their strong points.
The two parts seem to be matched. Tell me, does the ESC differ for CCW or CW by the motor , or is it one ESC for all? The end number on the parts change, I am wondering...

The two parts seem to be matched. Tell me, does the ESC differ for CCW or CW by the motor , or is it one ESC for all? The end number on the parts change, I am wondering...

All the ESC modules are the same and makes no difference which motor it's connected to just make sure you rewire the motor to the board in the same order in which you removed it

You could have saved time by just using a hair dryer if you had one. Was that salt water or fresh water?

All the ESC modules are the same and makes no difference which motor it's connected to just make sure you rewire the motor to the board in the same order in which you removed it

You could have saved time by just using a hair dryer if you had one. Was that salt water or fresh water?

Salt water! I immediately removed the battery (it burnt out thereafter) , Used a heavy duty pump to pump kites up with to expel and suck out all the water possible. The next day I sprayed contact cleaner through everything, gimbal and GPro included. The main board was slightly wet but nothing major. I tested the Naza-M V2 that day with a dealer and he said it was dead. I found it hard to believe. A month or so down the line, I tested the GPro and it suddenly worked! I then had hope. A few days back I took it to the dealer where I purchased the P2 and he retested it, it didn't fire up. He took off the ESC to the motor and re-fired it up and it beeped into function mode, the motors (3 others) spun happily.
It may not function as it should, but I won't know until I've changed the faulty ESC. What are your thoughts?
Most folk say, hmmm salt water!!! It's dead. Seeing is believing, and that is what I intend to do Jason.

Where can I purchase Dji parts that don't cost an arm and a leg, can you help?

BTW, the gimbal is dead. There was a rusty bearing in one of the axis, I ordered a new one and with great difficulty took it apart and then reassembled it with equal difficulty. When we tested it, it got funky ducking and diving like..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers