Should I take the drone to Antigua?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am travelling to Antigua and wondering what rules apply there in terms of customs etc? and if local authorities get involved with drone use. I plan to adhere to the general drone code, and this is for personal use not commercial.

I have emailed about 8 different figures and public institutions to do with aviation regulation etc, and so far have not had a response.

If anyone has experience flying in Antigua, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Max

I know it's not your exact situation, but I fly every summer around Cancun, Isla Mujeres to be exact, and have had no issues. One TSA lady didn't know what the drone was, but it was clarified and we were sent on our way. No issues in customs. Tape all electrical connectors and you should have no issues.

Hi All,

I am travelling to Antigua and wondering what rules apply there in terms of customs etc? and if local authorities get involved with drone use. I plan to adhere to the general drone code, and this is for personal use not commercial.

I have emailed about 8 different figures and public institutions to do with aviation regulation etc, and so far have not had a response.

If anyone has experience flying in Antigua, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Max

I live in PR and my job has me travelling to many Caribbean islands year round. I take my Mavic along almost always but on some places people and law enforcment officials can get nasty when you are flying close to populated areas or beaches. Most smaller islands do not have offical rules jet but on Antigua for example almost half of the island is covered by the 5 mile airport no fly zone. There are many other smaller islands where you should not fly as you are always in a 5 mile airport zone, like St. Maarten, US, Spanish and British Virgin islands and many more.
Laws to regulate drones in the making

Hi Guys thanks for your response. I took all the necessary precautions with taping batteries etc. UK security was fine didn't even need to de-bag the batteries. Antigua customs gave it a good looking over and noted down my serial number but they were fine with it.

Flew all week and had an epic trip! Video coming soon. Check out my insta for photos if you want. @maxaphotography

Hi Guys thanks for your response. I took all the necessary precautions with taping batteries etc. UK security was fine didn't even need to de-bag the batteries. Antigua customs gave it a good looking over and noted down my serial number but they were fine with it.

Flew all week and had an epic trip! Video coming soon. Check out my insta for photos if you want. @maxaphotography
Do you have a YouTube account?

I live in PR and my job has me travelling to many Caribbean islands year round. I take my Mavic along almost always but on some places people and law enforcment officials can get nasty when you are flying close to populated areas or beaches. Most smaller islands do not have offical rules jet but on Antigua for example almost half of the island is covered by the 5 mile airport no fly zone. There are many other smaller islands where you should not fly as you are always in a 5 mile airport zone, like St. Maarten, US, Spanish and British Virgin islands and many more.

Are you saying that you cannot fly in the British Virgin Islands at all? I thought I was reading that it was ok and they had regulations for it. The regulations are confusing though because my drone weighs less than the mention amount.

I am going to be in PR next week and want to bring my p4. I brought it back in march and had no problems but with the new electronics TSA stuff going on and SJU being one of these airports, are there any new restrictions regarding traveling with an UAV? Optionally, and much more expensively I could ship it to my buddy's house there. It was so easy a couple months ago as a carry on in my backpack- hope it still is!

Thanks for any info!

Max, just checked out that instagram account. Awesome photos from there. Great shots!

I know it's not your exact situation, but I fly every summer around Cancun, Isla Mujeres to be exact, and have had no issues. One TSA lady didn't know what the drone was, but it was clarified and we were sent on our way. No issues in customs. Tape all electrical connectors and you should have no issues.
Awesome. Not drone-related, but dove Manchones Reef and the MUSA. Good to know that drones fly!! Thanks.
VB

Reactions: chadrob30
Great resource, thanks!
I would actual check the reference links before relying solely on the information contained on that site. Just looking up Canadian UAS laws, there are a lot of discrepancies and errors for example:

Site:

DO NOT FLY:

• Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome. -

• Higher than 90 metres above the ground.

• Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.

• In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.

• Near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.

• Within restricted and controlled airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.

• Anywhere you may interfere with first responders.

Drones under 1kg can be flown for any purpose without permission and without informing Transport Canada, the aviation regulator. Drones that weigh more than 1kg and below 25kg can be flown if Transport Canada is informed of the type and location of flight. - NOT TRUE. TC regulates all drones from 250g to 25kg. Specific permit is required for all drones above 25kg.

CurrentTransport Canada Rules:

Fly your drone:
  • below 90 m above the ground
  • at least 30 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 250 g and up to 1 kg)
  • at least 75 m away from vehicles, vessels and the public (if your drone weighs over 1 kg and up to 35 kg)
  • at least 5.5 km away from aerodromes (any airport, seaplane base or area where aircraft take off and land)
  • at least 1.8 km away from heliports or aerodromes used by helicopters only
  • outside of controlled or restricted airspace
  • at least 9 km away from a natural hazard or disaster area
  • away from areas where its use could interfere with police or first responders
  • during the day and not in clouds
  • within your sight at all times
  • within 500 m of yourself
  • only if clearly marked with your name, address and telephone number

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.