Anti-Glare screen covers question

...physics is physics - all you can do is try and eliminate as many of the offending reflections as possible - the hoodman looks to be about the perfect solution and their track record of working in the movie industry for thirty years speaks volumes - I will be biting the bullet and giving it a go, but another tip is to try and find a shady spot with darkness BEHIND you and wear black!

I was really hoping someone offered a knock-off of the hoodman....but haven't been able to find anything.
I even pondered trying to make something myself but quickly realized it would look like crap, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet also.

...physics is physics - all you can do is try and eliminate as many of the offending reflections as possible - the hoodman looks to be about the perfect solution and their track record of working in the movie industry for thirty years speaks volumes - I will be biting the bullet and giving it a go, but another tip is to try and find a shady spot with darkness BEHIND you and wear black!

Any even better idea would be if one of the manufactures had the balls to create a screen that looked good outdoors.
Why don't they? Because screens that look good outdoors look crap indoors in a shop and stupid people wouldn't buy them!
There are plenty of outdoor viewable advertising screens etc and years ago the old Panasonic toughbooks had outdoor screens.
So come on Panacrohnic or Tossiba get a move on!!!

This is one issue I wrestle with constantly especially at certain times of the day. I find myself hiding beside my vehicle or trying to find shade so I can see what I am shooting.
Great thread and information.
Thanks

IMG_2719.JPG

Home made sun hood.
I came to the conclusion that as much ambient light as possible must be blocked and that most ambient reflective light source was from overhead (duh the sun) and therefore would have to primarily block from above, thus the "hood" solution.
Started with a 10"x8"x6.5" standard off-the-shelf cardboard packing box i found kicking around that fit my head loosely and allowed for an adjustable head band from inside old hardhat to be fitted inside the box. Then simply more cardboard cut and glued to box for front "tunnel" portion sized to fit my iPad Mini at the end, trial and error revealed the need for flexible shroud for back and over shoulders so cut up old Tshirt and more hot glue in place, finished with flat black spray inside hood and light colour paint spray on outside.
Works spectacularly and cost next to nothing, very light.
IMG_2720.JPG

Yeah I built one of those early on too, and it seemed to work at first, but eventually the weight and the awkwardness of the weight distribution began causing more problems than it was worth and I gave up on it.

I have a cloth one from Hoodivision- the "PadHat" that I like a lot because is light and being cloth I can fold it in 1/3's and put in my vest pocket. In my case I just lay it on top of the bird when packed. Pretty cool & effective design as its angle is 70° so forces you to lay the screen a bit flatter rather than straight up- thereby losing the reflection of bright light on your clothing. The screen reflects (or doesn't) only the inner black cloth of the hood.

hoodivision

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4