Antenna position for close flights

Reaction score
Ok I know how to position the antennas when your flying your bird a ways away from you. I was just curious what the best position would be if you were staying close, like circling a house shooting photos or video. Would 1 pointing up and 1 laying flat be best?

Dave

Unless you're flying directly overhead, the antennas should be oriented the exact same way as if you were flying a mile away. Not sure why you would think it would be any different.

Reactions: BenDronePilot
Unless you're flying directly overhead, the antennas should be oriented the exact same way as if you were flying a mile away. Not sure why you would think it would be any different.
Well yes when I'm photographing a house it is sometimes almost directly overhead. I'm not out in the country where there's wide open spaces. Houses are right next to one another.

Dave

Well yes when I'm photographing a house it is sometimes almost directly overhead. I'm not out in the country where there's wide open spaces. Houses are right next to one another.

Dave
I see. So the rule of thumb is keep the flat edge of the antennae pointed toward the bird at all times. If you're flying directly above, they should be parallel to the ground. Adjust as necessary.

I see. So the rule of thumb is keep the flat edge of the antennae pointed toward the bird at all times. If you're flying directly above, they should be parallel to the ground. Adjust as necessary.
Yes I totally get that, what I was curious about is when doing that kind of flying could 1 antenna be flat to the ground and 1 pointed up to accommodate both angles or do they need to be the same?

Dave

Yes I totally get that, what I was curious about is when doing that kind of flying could 1 antenna be flat to the ground and 1 pointed up to accommodate both angles or do they need to be the same?

Dave
Generally the same for best reception. However, if you're flying close (as in 50-100 ft), it likely doesn't matter. I've flown with the bird behind me for several hundred feet, but that's in an area w/ no interference. In your situation I'd be more afraid of losing GPS and having to deal with ATTI in close quarters than losing Tx signal (well, RTH might get interesting too).

Generally the same for best reception. However, if you're flying close (as in 50-100 ft), it likely doesn't matter. I've flown with the bird behind me for several hundred feet, but that's in an area w/ no interference. In your situation I'd be more afraid of losing GPS and having to deal with ATTI in close quarters than losing Tx signal (well, RTH might get interesting too).
Ok I may toy with that a bit and see if it makes a difference. It's not a big deal I can always just adjust the antennas as needed. I was just curious.

Dave

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl