Antenna orientation

Reaction score
Found a good document that describes antennas and their radiation pattern. Interestingly, even if an antenna is omni-directional, it does not mean that you can point the antenna at your bird. For example, the radiation pattern of a standard dipole antenna is worse when you point it at your bird. Check it out.

Antenna Patterns and Their Meaning

Yea, this is why DJI illustrates the proper orientation in the manual.

I bet you didn't think you'd learn so much about so many different subjects when you bought your drone did you?

Yep, learning lots. It's interesting how many different DIY antennas there are out there for 5.8GHz FPV. Cloverleaf, skew planar, helical, double helical, yagi, patch/panel, celtic knot. I haven't seen a DIY parabolic yet. I think my next project is a double helical.

There are a few people selling 3D printed parabolas for use with the stock antennas.

That's why you want to be a mile or so away from a cell phone tower. I'm trying to get people at work to understand you don't want to stand under it for better reception. The farther away the better, at least until you get into the next 'cell'.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub