Antenna Mounting Kit (FPVLR compatible)

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Tony, and FPVLR. I have purchased my antennas, batteries, and amps from them. I did scratch my head when it came to mounting the antennas on the bird, without drilling any holes, and mounting them at the proper angle. I have come up with a solution, which I am making available, here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/200859048/ ... on-antenna

This kit sits at the top of the landing gear struts, and when paired with the right set of antennas from FPVLR and any other replacement antennas, allows us to avoid drilling, gluing, and generally rigging antennas in a tenuous position.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Attachments

• EWG_6668.jpg
    EWG_6668.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 1,660
  • IMG_1839.jpg
    IMG_1839.jpg
    607.3 KB · Views: 1,650
  • EWG_6628.jpg
    EWG_6628.jpg
    963.8 KB · Views: 1,550
  • EWG_6644.jpg
    EWG_6644.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 1,584
FPVLR said:
Guys, sidebox is a nice guy and a dedicated individual. This mount is simple but seems just perfect to mount our antennas to the Phantom. I think I will stock some myself.
Way to go!

Thanks for the endorsement Tony! Your antennas are incredible. I'm just glad that I was able to figure out a simple mounting method that positions them the right way.

These look really nice. I want to upgrade my Phantom with the pinwheels but was waiting to see if anyone has posted a really good video tutorial. I have searched, but I think the only ones I have seen are for the P2 Vision, not the +. I already have done the stage 2 kit. I'm concerned about removing the epoxy on the board. Just don't want to damage anything. If anyone can point me to a good video (or post one??). Would be greatly appreciated by me (and others) and I'm sure Tony would sell a lot more antennae...
Thx!!

They look like they will raise the height and give us a tiny bit more clearance for the camera too.. Can't hurt...

Silicastorm said:
Excellent innovation ,,,,

But I am unable to purchase as I live in the United Arab Emirates ?

Thank you for your interest. I certainly can process an order to UAE. I've sent you a message to discuss details.

JeffB said:
These look really nice. I want to upgrade my Phantom with the pinwheels but was waiting to see if anyone has posted a really good video tutorial. I have searched, but I think the only ones I have seen are for the P2 Vision, not the +. I already have done the stage 2 kit. I'm concerned about removing the epoxy on the board. Just don't want to damage anything. If anyone can point me to a good video (or post one??). Would be greatly appreciated by me (and others) and I'm sure Tony would sell a lot more antennae...
Thx!!

+1. :?:

Just ordered a couple. I think they will make mounting much better and neater, well done sidebox.

Can I ask either you or Tony if he sees this, what would you recommend mounting on each.
Assuming the mounts are on the corners the original 5.8’s went down the legs what would you suggest mounting on each.

Looking from the rear ie it’s flying away from you, I was planning on mounting back left FVPLR 5.8 down and FVPLR 2.4 horizontal, front right FVPLR 2.4 down and FVPLR 5.8 horizontal. Would that be optimal or what would you suggest?

Cheers
John

johnie said:
Just ordered a couple. I think they will make mounting much better and neater, well done sidebox.

Can I ask either you or Tony if he sees this, what would you recommend mounting on each.
Assuming the mounts are on the corners the original 5.8’s went down the legs what would you suggest mounting on each.

Looking from the rear ie it’s flying away from you, I was planning on mounting back left FVPLR 5.8 down and FVPLR 2.4 horizontal, front right FVPLR 2.4 down and FVPLR 5.8 horizontal. Would that be optimal or what would you suggest?

Cheers
John

Hi John,

Thanks for your order. You should be all set if you mount that way. As long as you have one of each frequency mounted perpendicular to the other one of that same frequency.

domdoha said:
JeffB said:
Thx!!

+1. :?:

+1

JeffB said:
Thx!!

HI Jeff,

Thanks for your interest.

This video shows how one would replace the 2.4 control receiver with a 5.8 receiver on a phantom (NON PLUS). While not exactly focused on replacing the antennas on the 5.8 receiver, it does show you how to easily access the 5.8 board that is already installed on your Vision +, and therefore replace them with a nice set of FPVLRs.

Important note: At one point, you are instructed to remove two sets of cables from the 5.8 board. On your P2V+ these will be glued on. You should be able to cut through this glue very easily. Just be sure that you make a cut on either side, right at the point where the connecters meet. This is not at the board, but about 2 cm up the black post. Jiggling the connection a small amount will make this spot evident. There are some other key differences to how this phantom is put together, as compared to your P2V+. This shows you location of the board, you will still have to do a little more work than what is shown to access the antennas. There will be a board that sits over the two set screws on the 5.8 board. When you remove the outer two screws, this will lift out of the way. Then you can access the remaining two set screws. Once you have the board free... by carefully maneuvering out from underneath the main board, you will need acetone (nail polish remover) to dissolve the black glue holding the old antennas in place. I applied acetone with a Q-tip, let soak for a minute, used a pair of both an exacto and a very small serrated blade. It took me about 30 minutes to do each one. Be very deliberate and very patient. One wrong cut and you've ruined your board. Another wrong cut and you've cut your finger. I cannot stress patience enough. If anyone has an easier way of doing this, please let us all know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yakxhKUHeDw

Thanks Sidebox,

I haven't opened up my Phantom yet, so I am not 100% clear on what I need to do once I get in there. As you mentioned, that video isn't showing any glued or epoxied components. I was able to remove the glue on the transmitter (which was a bit of a challenge), so I think I should be able to tackle this as well. I will probably wait a bit to order the antennae and your mounting kit. Then I may as well get the 5.8 and 2.5 amps and battery pack. At that point my controller will be an ugly monster with cables, wires, and various boxes velcroed to it... Lol.

I need to decide whether I really need to pump more cash into my P2v+. More than likely, if a P3v is announced, I will end up buying that... Decisions......

Still hoping someone will post a video before I take the plunge... Anyone???...

Thanks again!

Sidebox....nice setup.....but two antennas?? How come??

FangsCPO said:
Sidebox....nice setup.....but two antennas?? How come??

Actually, 4... 2 for the wifi and 2 on the other side for 5.8 controls. This is how they provide maximum coverage. By having them 90 degrees from each other, you have full 360 degree reception. This is due to the pattern at which pinwheels take in the radiation from your signal source.

sidebox said:
Silicastorm said:

Thank you for your interest. I certainly can process an order to UAE. I've sent you a message to discuss details.

Elliot,

Still waiting for your response regarding shipping to United Arab Emirates... please let me know ?

Silicastorm said:
sidebox said:
Silicastorm said:

Elliot,

Still waiting for your response regarding shipping to United Arab Emirates... please let me know ?

Hello Andrew,

I have not forgotten you. My postal quoting system (endicia) was down today. I'll be in touch with the exact rate and an e-invoice in the coming day. Thanks for your patience!

definately keen for this
wondering if any aussies feel like a bulk buy as the postage seems very high for an itemt hat wouldnt weight more then 100 grams..

i know postage fropm the US to AUS isnt that expensive.

shane_hood said:
definately keen for this
wondering if any aussies feel like a bulk buy as the postage seems very high for an itemt hat wouldnt weight more then 100 grams..

i know postage fropm the US to AUS isnt that expensive.

Hi Shane,

The problem is that it is that expensive. If you go to USPS.com and check out the shipping options, that is the cost. A small priority mail flat rate envelope has a cost of $23.50. You can see this here: http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10013

I can do first class mail, which is cheaper, but I have seen first class mail take 3-6 weeks to be delivered. This is the bind I am in. By the way... it costs $3.23 for first class mail from the US to Australia... imagine how slow that must go.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl