Antenna mods Rc

Reaction score
I'm planning to mod the phantom 3 standard remote controller to be able to put high gain antennas. So i know what kind of wiring i need. Now to the antennas, the only thing i know is there are X2 2.4GHz for wifi video, and X1 5.8GHz for control transmition. I need some help to choose the right antennas. What should i look for? The GHz, the dbi? What else?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Type this number into eBay and there is a set which will mod easily and looks good I've ordered one

Type this number into eBay and there is a set which will mod easily and looks good I've ordered one

I've seen this and i'm probably getting this or a dbs mod. But i would like to know if doing this by yourself is cheaper.. Anyway, have you tried it?

It's on it's way so when it arrives I will post on here with my results from the videos it looks quite easy to do I repair iPhones and iPads all the time so hopefully this will b a walk in the park fingers crossed [emoji4]

Oh thank you very much Tommo4316. I wish it works.

Be sure you know what you are doing before you jump into ripping apart the controller. If you are not skilled enough to engineer yourself out of a jam then don't do it. There are a number of things that can go wrong if you are hamfisted or if the controller has any shoddy assembly or components. I did the DBS mod and found a couple issues - fortunately I was able to fix what I found but someone with less experience messing with things like this would have hit a show stopper. Just be sure you are confident before going in.

Is it really so hard to remove 3 connectors and replace 3 cables? I'm confident enough to try it:)

Reactions: Gazzer
Is it really so hard to remove 3 connectors and replace 3 cables? I'm confident enough to try it:)

It's wasn't to hard to do. Just get a sharp knife to cut away silicone and go slow. Should be fine. I did mine and everything went fine as long as you go slow.

Reactions: ninosnicolaou

It's not that it is hard to do - it is not. But if you are not used to doing something like this then there is a good chance you could screw something up. Like has been mentioned here dozens of times, just go slow and remove ALL of the glue before trying to unplug the connectors from the wifi and TX boards. The connectors on the boards are very fragile - the ring part of the connector is only held on to the board by 2 very small, thin metal tabs and can actually come off the board with the connector when you go to unplug it. If you don't know how to fix something like that then you will have ruined your controller. Not trying to scare you away from doing the mod - just letting you know that as easy as it is there are still things that can go wrong and leave you unable to fly. Also be aware that the DBS ItElite might come with cables (used inside the controller) that are too short to run to the top of the controller so don't drill any holes until you see what cables you get. I had to put my connectors out the bottom of the controller because the cables were under 3" in length and wouldn't reach the place on the controller that you see in some of the installation pictures.

Reactions: ninosnicolaou
I'm probably getting an ARGtek antenna mod for a number of reasons. I like the way it sits there. Is easier to put any other antenna you want there, as the mount is there, you can remove everything in case you need waranty, and it's gonna only cost me 68 euro instead of 145 to get the dbs mod with the longer cables and shipping. What do you guys think?

I'm probably getting an ARGtek antenna mod for a number of reasons. I like the way it sits there. Is easier to put any other antenna you want there, as the mount is there, you can remove everything in case you need waranty, and it's gonna only cost me 68 euro instead of 145 to get the dbs mod with the longer cables and shipping. What do you guys think?

Hurry up. We need a Guinea pig to see how it works!

Hello all, i write this to let you know my experience with both the Argtek and the Dbs Itelite mods to the controller.
Please note that I live in Italy and so my controller works in CE mode.
I first bought the Argtek as it is a "cleaner" solution as you don't have to drill holes in the controller, but except for this, the internal modification of the controller is the same. You have to remove the original cables from the transmitters and replace them with the supplied ones. Not a big deal, but be careful removing the silicon covering the UFL connectors, and gently detach them from the connectors on the transmitters. As I said I firstly installed the Argtek not wanting to drill any hole. The mod worked perfectly, and my range really more than doubled in quite open areas, my best shot has been 1046 meters, where before my best with stock antenna had been 450 meters. As maybe lot of you, I was impressed, but wondered "what if" I used the Dbs Itelite that apparently many say it's a lot better ?
So then I bought the Itelite, and installed it as suggested by a video on youtube drilling the holes on the front lower part of the RC. This mod worked, but with my disappointment the range had reduced by one third to about 750 meters in the same place where i got 1046 meters. Also, while with the Argtek i reached my record and then lost video signal without losing control (I could activate RTH with my s2 controller switch), with the Itelite i lose video and controller quite together infact the RTH kicks in automatically after the controller loses video connection. Also this is happening at even nearer distance, and it's completely random. The worst part is that it loses signal also just over me if i got to more than 55 meters high. This never happened before with the Argtek.
Well i have to admit that in the meantime, just after the second mod, something happened. I crashed my Phantom just two days after the DBS mod, for an error of mine, but I had just made about 10 flights with signal and RTH kick in issues. Now I've rebuilt quite completely my Phantom 3 standard, and again I experience the same problems with the DBS mod. Obviously I've more than double checked my installation of the mod, but nothing appears to be wrong.
Sorry for this long intro, but now I've come up with an idea: what if i could use both the mods, alternatively and find out which is the better one for me, and also eventually switch them any time I want?
Maybe that each mod works better depending on the place I am flying, also I've already spent money, so here is what I came into:
WP_20160611_16_00_36_Pro.jpg WP_20160611_16_00_44_Pro.jpg WP_20160611_16_03_36_Pro.jpg WP_20160611_16_03_51_Pro.jpg WP_20160611_16_03_46_Pro.jpg
From now on I can choose, anytime I want, anytime I feel one mod is not working properly.
What do you think ?
Aldo

Last edited:
It's possible you have a faulty cable with the DBS ITELITE antenna.

Yes - many pilots swap out antennas more often than they swap out their underwear. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

Reactions: MasterBlaster
It's possible you have a faulty cable with the DBS ITELITE antenna.

Yes - many pilots swap out antennas more often than they swap out their underwear. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

Thank you for your reply, which cable are you referring to, the pigtails inside the controller or the external cables between the antenna and the connectors ? Today I tested both the antennas and verified again that the ARGtek are better keeping the video signal. Also note that the pigtails i left inside the controller are the ones from Itelite, that are thinner than the ARGtek. So if the problem is in a cable should be in the external ones connecting the Itelite (the ARGtek antennas are directly inserted in the connectors).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic