Antenna mods for ultimate low level flying and penetration

Reaction score
There are several threads about people flying huge distances with antenna mods, but most of them are flying at a fair height, or in areas with no interference, or in areas with no obstructions such as a beach or over water. I want to fly as far as I can at low level over hilly ground with thickly wooded areas, and so am looking for a setup that would provide maximum penetration. I'm in the UK so would be buying from HorizonFPV. I don't understand much about antennas and amps etc and hoped that those who do, or those who already have similar setups, might comment on some of these options.

As well as the ITelite antenna, Horizon offer these:

Phantom 3 or inspire Pilot end only ( New ELRS )

New P3 & Inspire compact array pilot end

And to boost the signal more there are two amps:

Horizon 2.4 GHz RF amp dual kit ( 2 x 1 watt )

Horizon 2.4 GHz RF amp kit ( 2.5 watts ) new

Any comments or advice much appreciated :)

The old radio maxim...

"Height is range, Power is penetration."

Regardless of what you do just remember they are radio signals and any object causes them to bounce or get reflected. Only true workable signal is still line of sight or clear field of object to object. I have to get above the trees and other objects to get distance or I get signal broken RTH. Have to drive to open area sometimes..

A few things happen to the signals on the way to you: dispersion, absorption, reflection, and attenuation.
All of these are working against you and is only made worse by obstruction(s).

You may want to revisit your expectations based on your actual conditions.

Reactions: witold
Most of these widgets have very limited benefit. There are videos of Phantom 3s maxing out distance and turning back for no other reason than running out of battery.

In the end, 2.4GHz is 2.4GHz and you can't do much about that. Well... you can... by boosting power. But the relationship between power and range is not linear. When you use twice the power, you don't get twice the range - or anywhere close to it. It's only a small % gain. To really see great results, you would need to be pushing tons of power.

Someone needs to post the exact figures on the relationship between power and signal strength and range. RCmodelreviews / Bruce has a video on this on Youtube if you look around his channel.

A lot of people are doing mods for the sake of doing mods. They think they're getting faster wheels, when in reality they're getting shiny rims. Mostly show, little go.

Reactions: N017RW
Directives antennas and external 100wts amplifiers....ohh Yiee!

Ok.....just kidding! :)

I fitted the ITelite antenna and noticed about a 40% better penetration through the trees, with the standard antenna I would get video drop out when flying behind a bunch of trees, the the ITelite antenna noticeably less. I agree with everyone above you are still stuck with LOS for the most part.

Even a tin can reflector that would narrow the signal would help a little. I've been reading the forum for some time time and finally bought a Phantom 3 and there is lots of posts and info about the different antennas and reflectors. Best best is to just sift through it all and see what you think.

Last edited:
There are several threads about people flying huge distances with antenna mods, but most of them are flying at a fair height, or in areas with no interference, or in areas with no obstructions such as a beach or over water. I want to fly as far as I can at low level over hilly ground with thickly wooded areas, and so am looking for a setup that would provide maximum penetration. I'm in the UK so would be buying from HorizonFPV. I don't understand much about antennas and amps etc and hoped that those who do, or those who already have similar setups, might comment on some of these options.

As well as the ITelite antenna, Horizon offer these:

Phantom 3 or inspire Pilot end only ( New ELRS )

New P3 & Inspire compact array pilot end

And to boost the signal more there are two amps:

Horizon 2.4 GHz RF amp dual kit ( 2 x 1 watt )

Horizon 2.4 GHz RF amp kit ( 2.5 watts ) new

Any comments or advice much appreciated :)

Hey bud, where abouts in the UK are you?
I'm interested in almost the same so let me know what you go for and your impressions when you get it.
An additional requirement for me is I don't want to extend the setup time any more than necessary. A tripod mounted array of antenna powered by seperate amps running on a seperate LIPO is great, but I'm worried I'd use it less as it would be such a ball ache to set up. Unless I can get a seperate remote cheap, that would be the best of both.

Your best bet is to get up high. If it is hilly ground get to the highest point if possible so you are looking down.
I have done this a few times and it has been fine.
I doubt any amp would penetrate a forest for example.

Probably not. But with a external antenna, you could put it on a small tower, a few meters of the ground...

That would make a huge difference to the signal between the P3 and the RC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31