Antenna mod affecting controller signal?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I performed the range extender mod as described multiple times on this forum and on youtube, and added an 8 DBi omnidirectional antenna to it. I left the aircraft and the controller stock.

I took it out for some range testing and was really impressed with the distance results - actually got it out to 3000 feet before loss of signal which is much better than I expected...Then a couple strange things happened.

I brought the phantom back using home lock, but the wifi did not reconnect automatically. I had to fly it back to well within eyesight, then go to the settings on my phone, and manually select the Phantom network to connect. Never had to do that before the antenna mod.

The second strange thing that happened was that when I had the phantom quite high, about 7-800 feet up, the CONTROLLER signal would get intermittently lost, then come back. That never happened before, and I had it up to 1200 feet with good controller signal and wifi signal before the modification.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm more concerned that the wifi mod somehow affects the controller/transmitter signal? Keep in mind I have an 8DBi omni, so nothing is blocking the line of sight of the stock transmitter antenna.

I understand that if controller signal is lost and unable to be regained, it's not necessarily the end because the phantom will enter "Return to Home" mode but I'd rather be able to bring the phantom home with my own piloting because at high altitudes I'm not sure the RTH will be able to overcome the wind up there.

Basically I'd rather lose wifi to the camera than lose the ability to manually control the Phantom using the sticks.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic