Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

@jhax01 do you think using the 2400SAX could improve the penetration over the Sunhans? Sunhans are rated at 3w. The 2400SAX "only" 1w. Please let me know cause I am really into penetration.

W la figa

@jhax01 do you think using the 2400SAX could improve the penetration over the Sunhans? Sunhans are rated at 3w. The 2400SAX "only" 1w. Please let me know cause I am really into penetration.

W la figa

No way to know for sure until I get my hands on them, but based on IBV's data in post 33, I suspect that Sunhans is publishing peak figures and not sustainable gain. So yeah, they may say 3W, but that's not what you're really getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W la figa
As I understand it, the transmitter can only use .5 watts anyway, so the rest is overkill, but the db gain is the important number. If the 3W Sunhans are only 8db gain and the 1W 2400SAX are 20db gain, the latter are definitely more powerful for our purposes, and 3x the price! :cool:

As I understand it, the transmitter can only use .5 watts anyway, so the rest is overkill, but the db gain is the important number. If the 3W Sunhans are only 8db gain and the 1W 2400SAX are 20db gain, the latter are definitely more powerful for our purposes, and 3x the price! :cool:

Not when you get them at $50 a piece on eBay! Lol.

Right. Transmit gain based on incoming signal is one thing, receive gain is most crucial and the quality (noise figures and bandpass filters). The power in Watt is a technical, rather unrelated figure in our context. Gadgetguy is right with the gain compare..

The 2400SAX. They are automatic gain so I won't be able to tune them, but I doubt it will matter much. Another plus is that they are 5volt. Since they are the outdoor model, you're supposed to inject the power on the RF line, but the seller had cracked one open and took pictures and it seems that the only difference between the outdoor and indoor models are the waterproof casing so there's a jack input, just have to drill out the casing to access it. Or at least that's the plan!

Is the concealed 5v jack input the large object in the lower right in this photo?
image.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2400SAX. They are automatic gain so I won't be able to tune them, but I doubt it will matter much. Another plus is that they are 5volt. Since they are the outdoor model, you're supposed to inject the power on the RF line, but the seller had cracked one open and took pictures and it seems that the only difference between the outdoor and indoor models are the waterproof casing so there's a jack input, just have to drill out the casing to access it. Or at least that's the plan!

I hope it works! I'm counting on you! :cool:

Reactions: IBV
I hope it works! I'm counting on you! :cool:

If the case isn't easy to cut or it seems like the board will get damaged in the process, my plan is to simply solder a USB pigtail directly to the terminals on the jack that's already there. Trust me, it's going to work.... :D

If the case isn't easy to cut or it seems like the board will get damaged in the process, my plan is to simply solder a USB pigtail directly to the terminals on the jack that's already there. Trust me, it's going to work.... :D

For the price we are paying, it's worth the effort! The extra db gain seems significant! The boosted signal should even penetrate kryptonite! :D

For the price we are paying, it's worth the effort! The extra db gain seems significant! The boosted signal should even penetrate kryptonite! :D

Lol. And that's about what I need around here to fly.

The other reason behind this for me is to be able to fly from my car. The heat here in Georgia has shut my iPad down a couple times in the middle of a flight. I used to fly RC planes so it doesn't bother me to just fly the aircraft, but if I'm filming something it's kind of useless without the video feed so I'm setting up my Suburban with a pair of these to duplicate Jeremiah Nelson's setup in the other thread - L-Com HG2409U Professional Grade 2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omnidirectional Antenna N-Male

The seller accepted $22.50 each as an offer. Then I'm adding l-com magnetic base with N-connector from their site (which is only $27.95) so I'm saving roughly $30 per antenna system vs buying the exact same setup from the l-com site. Probably going to grab the DBS02 for when I'm not in the car.

Lol. And that's about what I need around here to fly.

The other reason behind this for me is to be able to fly from my car. The heat here in Georgia has shut my iPad down a couple times in the middle of a flight. I used to fly RC planes so it doesn't bother me to just fly the aircraft, but if I'm filming something it's kind of useless without the video feed so I'm setting up my Suburban with a pair of these to duplicate Jeremiah Nelson's setup in the other thread - L-Com HG2409U Professional Grade 2.4 GHz 8.5 dBi Omnidirectional Antenna N-Male

The seller accepted $22.50 each as an offer. Then I'm adding l-com magnetic base with N-connector from their site (which is only $27.95) so I'm saving roughly $30 per antenna system vs buying the exact same setup from the l-com site. Probably going to grab the DBS02 for when I'm not in the car.
Excellent! That's one of my plans, too! Just made the seller the same offer! Thanks for laying the groundwork for all this! :cool:

Reactions: cstout
Excellent! That's one of my plans, too! Just made the seller the same offer! Thanks for laying the groundwork for all this! :cool:

Ok, received the amps today. In a word, they are hefty. Six small screws are all that holds the bottom plate on so they are easy to get open. The case itself is quite thick and the board is covered in a waterproof coating that's probably about an eighth to quarter inch thick. There won't be an easy way to expose the jack in any sort of an aesthetic fashion, but you can probably use a dremel to slowly work your way around it. I'm going to opt for simply drilling a hole in the side of the casing and soldering a USB cord directly to the +5V terminal and a ground point. I should have the rest of the bits I need by early next week. More to follow...

Ok, received the amps today. In a word, they are hefty. Six small screws are all that holds the bottom plate on so they are easy to get open. The case itself is quite thick and the board is covered in a waterproof coating that's probably about an eighth to quarter inch thick. There won't be an easy way to expose the jack in any sort of an aesthetic fashion, but you can probably use a dremel to slowly work your way around it. I'm going to opt for simply drilling a hole in the side of the casing and soldering a USB cord directly to the +5V terminal and a ground point. I should have the rest of the bits I need by early next week. More to follow...
I'm watching closely. Seller accepted my offer on the antennas, too. Added $5 in CA sales tax, though! However, I believe the magnetic mount we want for a mobile setup to attach in place of the DBS-02 antenna to the RC is this one, with the SMS plug: Black (Domed) Magnetic Mount - RP SMA Plug Connector - HMA3-RSPA10 My 5V battery uses the plug type jack like the Sunhans, which might be behind the casing. I have the 4A bird logo amps now, that weigh a ton, too! Hefty is the word! I have to use a tray under the RC to keep the weight of them mounted underneath from pulling the RC apart on a neck strap alone!

Jeremiah and IBV are the ones who layed all the groundwork. I'm just copying them, but trying to keep it as cheap as possible! lol. Here's the base that goes with it, I couldn't find it for less $$ anywhere unfortunately - Black (Domed) Magnetic Mount - N Male Connector - HMA3-NMA10
You are doing great! However, the cable from that base needs a heavy converter part to change it to an SMA plug used by the RC mod. If you buy it with the SMA plug to start, you save weight and money and some minor signal loss. Black (Domed) Magnetic Mount - RP SMA Plug Connector - HMA3-RSPA10

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj