Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Wow, yeah, OK, I've always liked L-Coms antenna and stuff, and being a Union, Buy American, cars, ATV, watercraft, name it, I'm all about that, but wow, $429 Vs $80 I spent, I've gotten great results, but the app does say poor signal, hi noise, but, I'll show you a pic of the RSS index, that should give you an idea of how well it works, I'll bet I have less noise then a lot, to all the regular "boosted" downlinks.
So, that amp looks like the pinnacle of badass, it's just a LOT of cash for that, where $450 spent in getting you 40' higher, would produce better results.
Your the man IBV, I look forward to all your messages man.
So, what do you mean about the RX doesn't cross the threshold to trigger the RX? On which one now? Because for instance the gold Sunhans and even that black $20 amp worked surprisingly well on my FC side.

I still have to wonder, splitting the antennas apart, man, I even thought split them, but the other one run up a palm tree I have in front yard, it's next to house and would be hidden really, that gives a bigger net to "catch" the relatively weak output from the bird.
I think we are going abou this wrong at this point with this money, Maybe I'll do it, add the postage sized 2W amp to the bird, try and use the same antenna and keep it stock looking, it may be kinda time consuming, but I'd give up 1 minute, likely much much less, like 30seconds of battery power pulled a flight, to power the miniature amp, it's complicated tho, due to 4 antenna on the bird, we may need two of them, that might be the best thing we can do, we should look at this from all angles, that Vs $1000s in $450 amps and antennas?
We should consider it.
I now have 3 million ft on my P4, I'm averaging a million a month lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: IBV
Wow, yeah, OK, I've always liked L-Coms antenna and stuff, and being a Union, Buy American, cars, ATV, watercraft, name it, I'm all about that, but wow, $429 Vs $80 I spent, I've gotten great results, but the app does say poor signal, hi noise, but, I'll show you a pic of the RSS index, that should give you an idea of how well it works, I'll bet I have less noise then a lot, to all the regular "boosted" downlinks.
So, that amp looks like the pinnacle of badass, it's just a LOT of cash for that, where $450 spent in getting you 40' higher, would produce better results.
Your the man IBV, I look forward to all your messages man.
So, what do you mean about the RX doesn't cross the threshold to trigger the RX? On which one now? Because for instance the gold Sunhans and even that black $20 amp worked surprisingly well on my FC side.

I still have to wonder, splitting the antennas apart, man, I even thought split them, but the other one run up a palm tree I have in front yard, it's next to house and would be hidden really, that gives a bigger net to "catch" the relatively weak output from the bird.
I think we are going abou this wrong at this point with this money, Maybe I'll do it, add the postage sized 2W amp to the bird, try and use the same antenna and keep it stock looking, it may be kinda time consuming, but I'd give up 1 minute, likely much much less, like 30seconds of battery power pulled a flight, to power the miniature amp, it's complicated tho, due to 4 antenna on the bird, we may need two of them, that might be the best thing we can do, we should look at this from all angles, that Vs $1000s in $450 amps and antennas?
We should consider it.
I now have 3 million ft on my P4, I'm averaging a million a month lol

It seems you made progress!
There is an L-com for $270 with 3 W outdoor. Difference is it got "only" 15db Rx gain vs 21db(!) of the expensive one.
The other difference is that the $270 version only needs 1mW to deliver full on Tx vs 5mW fir the expensive one.
That shouldn't actually be a problem cause our Rc's are strong enough.
yeaa. Send the RSS if you got it.
what 2W bird-side mod do you mean?
I'll go for the horizonfpvantenna's battery mod.Next two weeks I'm on a trip where I also fly the bird out for nature syrveys, electricity grid planing and wind power. I guess will learn some lessons there.
For all that money spent I wonder if a matrice 600 would be the right thing.
The P4 got the advantage of being small. Especially in places like yours obviously where you gotta hide antennas up in a palm tree!

Reactions: Sim597
Well, I prolly should be hiding the antenna on the chimney, but they're not eye sores. But I'm thinking of maybe putting an antenna mast in the roof, like a 10' or something, with a 60" 15dB but have it in tandem to the Hawking, that should give me much better "off-axis" RX, right? Even another 9dB hawking, spread out and lifted up another 10', I bet would be better by like 50% man

Antenna setups for the various missions are are almost complete.
Here the latest addition. A Terminator kit with extra height and amps. On the picture you can also see the Tripod A loudspeaker stand that is also holding the RC and passenger monitor. For using UGCS software to fly missions a laptop stand is included as well as HDMI splitter box. With all the trees around... the higher the better...
DSCN1085.JPG
DSCN1085.JPG
DSCN1086.JPG
DSCN1088.JPG
DSCN1089.JPG

Here we go...

"Holy crap, Batman! Looks like it's about to rain!"
That's some setup! Not exactly the portable rig DJI had in mind!
More like controlling the military drones in Afghanistan from an underground bunker in the Nevada desert! Eagerly awaiting your test results! :cool:

"Holy crap, Batman! Looks like it's about to rain!"
That's some setup! Not exactly the portable rig DJI had in mind!
More like controlling the military drones in Afghanistan from an underground bunker in the Nevada desert! Eagerly awaiting your test results! :cool:

Yea.. Me too. The battery mod will be neccesary as next step. However, this setup helps to get off the ground, increase penetration while still being loadable in the van. Testing will start tmrw.

Yea.. Me too. The battery mod will be neccesary as next step. However, this setup helps to get off the ground, increase penetration while still being loadable in the van. Testing will start tmrw.
Ideally, if you are traveling anyway, just drive to higher ground with the van, and then you won't need the Star Wars rig---just the antenna attached directly to the RC.

Here the latest addition. A Terminator kit with extra height and amps. On the picture you can also see the Tripod A loudspeaker stand that is also holding the RC and passenger monitor. For using UGCS software to fly missions a laptop stand is included as well as HDMI splitter box. With all the trees around... the higher the better...View attachment 62350 View attachment 62350 View attachment 62351 View attachment 62352 View attachment 62353
Here we go...
How are you powering that monitor? Do you have a dedicated mobile power source? I've been wanting to make a portable monitor to take in the field to output via hdmi.

Nice looking rig btw, looks clean.

Ideally, if you are traveling anyway, just drive to higher ground with the van, and then you won't need the Star Wars rig---just the antenna attached directly to the RC.
That would be easy.. But unfortunately, bushes and trees are all around no matter where I drive.. This is the small set up only...The Big one got 9m automatic elevetion mast with Cable reels, L-com amps,Pan/tilt unit with joystick control, etc... Not yet complete. Will post it when tested.
Lucky If you got LOS all the way through!

How are you powering that monitor? Do you have a dedicated mobile power source? I've been wanting to make a portable monitor to take in the field to output via hdmi.

Nice looking rig btw, looks clean.
As I drive with the car I power it via converter. Also the Hdmi splitter. I made an extra box with 12V plug and 230V plug and all my power supplies are in there. I just open a lock and take out the cable I need for the specific mission.( charging P4, headplay display , amp Lipos, etc...), I use a switchable active HDMI splitter/merger connecting bith the headplay display and the passenger screen.

That would be easy.. But unfortunately, bushes and trees are all around no matter where I drive.. This is the small set up only...The Big one got 9m automatic elevetion mast with Cable reels, L-com amps,Pan/tilt unit with joystick control, etc... Not yet complete. Will post it when tested.
Lucky If you got LOS all the way through!
I am fortunate to live on the side of a foothill with clear LOS for 10 miles in 270°, but other foothills and buildings get in the way if I want to fly low behind them. If there is no higher ground, once you get your antenna mast above the tree line, your control range should only be limited by your battery power! Good luck!

I am fortunate to live on the side of a foothill with clear LOS for 10 miles in 270°, but other foothills and buildings get in the way if I want to fly low behind them. If there is no higher ground, once you get your antenna mast above the tree line, your control range should only be limited by your battery power! Good luck!
Lucky you! Thanks !

Amplifier test: I tested receive gain Rx and compared Sunhans golden 3W, 2W silver, Rf-linx 1W LGE and L-vom 3W.
i used a signal generator and a spectrum analyzer and other sources.
Sunhans both around 8db gain and quite quite some noise. The L-com got 16db gain and clear. The Rf-linx increased 20-21db and clear signal. There is also a 21db L-com available by very expensive in compare.
Incredible difference between amps. With Rf-linx I can "hide" behind trees where I get total signal lost with the Sunhans! Finally got some answers!

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Here the latest addition. A Terminator kit with extra height and amps. On the picture you can also see the Tripod A loudspeaker stand that is also holding the RC and passenger monitor. For using UGCS software to fly missions a laptop stand is included as well as HDMI splitter box. With all the trees around... the higher the better...View attachment 62350 View attachment 62350 View attachment 62351 View attachment 62352 View attachment 62353
Here we go...

Cool!! My wife may think I've lost it if I built that though. :)

Hi there! Here an update on the antenna system with some pictures of the smaller tripod version.
In basic it is a tripod, a pan/tilt unit with joystick controller, amplifiers, signal splitters (couplers) and of course antennas ( directional and omni). Do I fly long and with some disturbance I use the Sunhans amps. Do I need to fly very long range and/or got no LOS then I use Rf-linx or L-com amps. on the pictures the splitters are not connected.
Here we go..tmp_4618-DSCN1094-819562098.JPG tmp_4618-DSCN10971263930688.JPG tmp_4618-DSCN10982088588952.JPG tmp_4618-DSCN1099833737147.JPG tmp_4618-DSCN1100-715220682.JPG tmp_4618-DSCN1101-1438428598.JPG

So who is the going to be the first one to put a repeater on a drone and put it up at 400 ft to be the link between you and the remote done. Or maybe tie into one of the military satellites?

Hi there! Here an update on the antenna system with some pictures of the smaller tripod version.
In basic it is a tripod, a pan/tilt unit with joystick controller, amplifiers, signal splitters (couplers) and of course antennas ( directional and omni). Do I fly long and with some disturbance I use the Sunhans amps. Do I need to fly very long range and/or got no LOS then I use Rf-linx or L-com amps. on the pictures the splitters are not connected.
Here we go..View attachment 63925 View attachment 63926 View attachment 63927 View attachment 63929 View attachment 63930 View attachment 63931
Insanely awesome! I think a 20-30 foot wooden tree stand in the backyard might have been cheaper, complete with a canopy top! :cool: You would then also have a stellar view over the trees to enjoy year round!

Insanely awesome! I think a 20-30 foot wooden tree stand in the backyard might have been cheaper, complete with a canopy top! :cool: You would then also have a stellar view over the trees to enjoy year round!

yeah.. I thought about some tree but the Cables would get very long...
I use an elevating platform with the tripod and me on top... I get 60ft up and that is needed to get over the tree tops.
I wait for the day the harvester comes and takes then down

yeah.. I thought about some tree but the Cables would get very long...
I use an elevating platform with the tripod and me on top... I get 60ft up and that is needed to get over the tree tops.
I wait for the day the harvester comes and takes then down
How about a 60 foot ladder into the top of one of those trees, and build a small platform on top, for one, to hold you and your transmitter with attached antenna so no additional cables would be necessary. Like climbing to the top of a hill for great LOS transmission.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers