Antenna Issues (questions) (range)

Reaction score
I wanted to know how the antenna system works on the RC... is one for receiving and the other transmitting or vice versa? Or are they identical.

The reason I ask is this, Ive noticed if i unhook my right antenna (if your looking down at the remote) and only use the left antenna, the phantom still flies fine and I can get out to about 2800+ feet easily.

If I do the opposite and unhook the left antenna and only use the right antenna, the phantom loses signal completely in about 20 Feet from me, like it's not flyable.

Can someone enlighten me and tell me if I have a bad RC? or just a bad antenna? Or is this how it's supposed to work?

Thanks!
Daniel

(before you ask) I didn't do any mods to the RC. I just opened it up and unhooked the little gray factory wires and tested each one individually.

So I guess my question is.... was that completely normal what happened with my range with the two different antennas? If the receiving one is the only one on the RC I basically lost signal 100 feet away? That's normal?

also; if both the antennas are working as designed --- receive/transmit --- why do I not get more range with them both hooked up, versus just the transmitting one?

With both of them I get 2800 and with only one of the (the left) on I still get 2800 feet. Then I take the left off and hook up the right and I only get 50 feet.

Is this normal? You would think with both of them on you would get more... that's why I think my RC may be defective. I've only had it for a week.

If the left antenna (as you are flying) is the transmitting one, that's the one that if I leave it on there I get 2800 Feet - if i take it off, I get basically zero feet, and if they are both on still 2800 feet. This is normal? what's the point of a receiving antenna if it doesn't add anymore range? and the drone can operate without it?

One is for transmitting, the other is for receiving video and telemetry from the aircraft. I can't remember whether that one transmits as well, but it might.

I'm confused. You say you haven't modified the RC, but in a thread from earlier this week you said you did. Which is correct?

Last edited:
One is for transmitting, the other is for receiving video and telemetry from the aircraft. I can't remember whether that one transmits as well, but it might.
This makes sense.... but I am worried something is wrong with my RC... because I get the same distance regardless if two or one antenna is hooked up. Unless I unhook the (left) transmitting one, then it goes to **** and basically cannot be flown.

Which is why it lead me to the question ---- because if I have one bad antenna if its not functioning correctly, then that means I have an issue - but I am not sure if this is normal operation and I can't get an answer from anyone. DJI online chat --- they hardly speak english so I don't even know if they know what I am saying.

Basically should the aircraft operate the same regardless of which side of the antenna is hooked up? Should it fly further if both are hooked up? Should it fly the same distance if one or the other is hooked up?

Or is it normal to be able to almost not fly at all with the "receiving antenna" only hooked up.

I'm confused. You say you haven't modified the RC, but in a thread from earlier this week you said you did. Which is correct?

I did modify it. With internal antenna wires. I did that today... and that's what lead me to test one side versus the other side. Sorry about confusion.

If you run the controller without antennas connected you could burn out the transmitter.

What you are asking is which antenna output does what. One is for transmitting, one is for receiving. Both are needed.

What you are asking is which antenna output does what. One is for transmitting, one is for receiving. Both are needed.
I know both are needed; I think my post was pretty clear I dont know how I can explain it any better.

When i took off the "transmitting antenna" i couldn't fly at all past 50 feet or so, when I took off the receiving antenna I could still fly the full 2800 range that I get with both antennas. So my concern was if something was wrong with my RC because I am new pilot and dont know how it all works.

I wasn't sure if both antennas connected at the same time should get me more range than the same as just a solo transmitting antenna got me, and I wasn't sure if the drone was supposed to be flyable at all with just the receiving antenna attached. I freakout out and thought something was wrong because the antennas were performing diffrently when connected alone, and I wasnt sure the reason.

In layman's term one antenna is for flying and the other is for video. So if you are not using video antenna, you can still fly technically.

If the antenna cable is connected though the antenna is taken off, cable works as antenna with unmatched impedance and can transmit to 100' or so but you have a risk of burning the electronics.

This should clarify your doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
In layman's term one antenna is for flying and the other is for video. So if you are not using video antenna, you can still fly technically.

If the antenna cable is connected though the antenna is taken off, cable works as antenna with unmatched impedance and can transmit to 100' or so but you have a risk of burning the electronics.

That was extremely well said

The Nether world

EXACTLY what I needed to know -- thanks!!! This eases my mind that my RC is working correctly and that I just neeed to invest into a booster.
I am thinking the UAVmaxx kit.

EXACTLY what I needed to know -- thanks!!! This eases my mind that my RC is working correctly and that I just neeed to invest into a booster.
I am thinking the UAVmaxx kit.
Good choice....maxxuav is the best out no questions. My boy got the boosted setup he used to get 6000 ft out now he get between 18000 to 21000 ft out!

Good choice....maxxuav is the best out no questions. My boy got the boosted setup he used to get 6000 ft out now he get between 18000 to 21000 ft out!

Awesome, thanks man. I couldn't decide if I wanted to drop 300$ but I did I got the boosted kit and the panel antenna ITElite.

I can't wait for this thing to get here. I just hope I can install it with no issues. It looks daunting.

Bro u will love it...it is the real deal! Did u get the bigger antenna!? The "maxxuav" or smaller?

Bro u will love it...it is the real deal! Did u get the bigger antenna!? The "maxxuav" or smaller?

The smaller one is the one that came with the kit. The legs one is an extra 150$ --- I may have the wife pick that up for me come my birthday -- hah.

I did a couple test fights yesterday, unboosted with 8db omnis and 12db panels --- I got between 2800-3500 feet straight line from my front door in a noisy suburban area with lots of wifi. I am hoping I get atleast 3-4x that on the same route.

Is the larger Antenna that much better? At some point range doesn't matter cause you out fly your batteries?

No the small one is perfectly fine especially boosted I had the small one unboosted and I was getting 14,000 feet my friend has the small one boosted, and he consistently gets 20,000 so u will be fine. Find the itelite install on youtube it will guide u just take your time. If you have any questions you can p.m. me

No the small one is perfectly fine especially boosted I had the small one unboosted and I was getting 14,000 feet my friend has the small one boosted, and he consistently gets 20,000 so u will be fine. Find the itelite install on youtube it will guide u just take your time. If you have any questions you can p.m. me

Awesome! Thanks buddy!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan