Antenna gain?

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about maybe replacing my stock transmitter 5.8 antenna with something with a little more gain. I don't want to get into boosters or anything. Does anybody know the gain (in db) of the stock antenna? I have successfully flown out to 1800' out at 370' high. This was my best distance. I often have weak signal issues with the 5.8 at around 500' depending on antenna position and the quads orientation. 2.4 has never dropped or become weak. Thoughts?

I would also like to know how many dbi is the stock 5.8 on the controller

I would also like to know how many dbi is the stock 5.8 on the controller
19 according to the spec's on the DJI page .

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I believe this is transmitter output, not antenna gain. This however is useful information, not sure how I didn't catch this earlier. Thanks for the post.
Sorry thought that was what he asked .I saw that comparing the 4k with the Standard . It has 27 dbi .

Sorry thought that was what he asked .I saw that comparing the 4k with the Standard . It has 27 dbi .

I don't believe the stock is 27dbi if it really is then its pathetic .because then you will be getting 5km range. With no range problem.

Because if the ARGtek antenna is a 7dbi people are getting about 1km.

Just my 2c. I think the stock antenna is only 3dbi .

I just purchased 2x 11dbi 2.4ghz antenna to replace the stock just trying to source a 11dbi 5.8ghz.

11dbi 2.4ghz. For wifi trying to get a 11bdi for 5.8ghz

Attachments

• 1456344375716.jpg
    1456344375716.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 607
I don't believe the stock is 27dbi if it really is then its pathetic .because then you will be getting 5km range. With no range problem.

I just purchased 2x 11dbi 2.4ghz antenna to replace the stock just trying to source a 11dbi 5.8ghz.
I think I was speaking of something different Nab.In my mind I wasn't seeing dbm but dbi . Just went back to their site and is this what I saw..
From the DJI site
Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC: 27 dBm
My bad..again Sorry

Reactions: Nabzo
After looking at the DJI site, the 2.4 transmitter is 27 dbm and the 5.8 transmitter is 19dbm. I would expect somewhere around 3 dbi for the 5.8 antenna. I'm just going to try and find a small 5.8 antenna with a high dbi rating. In the mean time, I built a windsurfer. I will post my results in the main p3s discussion page.

Reactions: dirkclod
I think I was speaking of something different Nab.In my mind I wasn't seeing dbm but dbi . Just went back to their site and is this what I saw..
From the DJI site
My bad..again Sorry

It's cool buddy. I'm lookng forward to test my 11dbi 2.4ghz antenna its not gona give me range but I'm hoping some good wifi signal downloading.

EBay and aliexpress have 11dbi 5.8ghz antenna for sale.

5.8ghz = for range. Looking to increase range increase the 5.8ghz antenna

2.4ghz = wifi signal.

Just extra for information if a newbie has to read our posts

Reactions: dirkclod
5.8ghz = for range. Looking to increase range increase the 5.8ghz antenna

2.4ghz = wifi signal.

Just extra for information if a newbie has to read our posts

That's me then! Thanks for the info. :)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

ARGtek came and fitted with my 11dbi wifi antenna and then normal wth the normal ARGtek antenna will test on the weekend

Attachments

• 1457032776204.jpg
    1457032776204.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 1457032792521.jpg
    1457032792521.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 469
  • 1457032807240.jpg
    1457032807240.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 514

Oh boy, got my laugh for today with all the Answers to such a simple question, I am curious tho where on earth did you find some 11DBI Antennas for a Phantom 4 I need some of those puppies

Oh boy, got my laugh for today with all the Answers to such a simple question, I am curious tho where on earth did you find some 11DBI Antennas for a Phantom 4 I need some of those puppies

Idk if the 4 uses 2.4 or 5.8 GHz, but for the 2.4 I had this opened in my browser:
Antenna 2.4GHz 12dBi Omni Directional Dipole w/ RP-SMA | 22 inches
I don't think it would be hard to find your 11 dBi (in case the p4 uses 5.8 GHz)

Edit: I found 10 dBi for 5.8 GHz : Antenna Dual-Band 2.4GHz 5GHz 10dBi Panel w/ RP-SMA connector

Last edited:

This [gain] is typical for any 1/4 wave dipole.

Added gain is achieved by altering the radiation pattern 'lobes' in the vertical or horizontal planes or a combo of both. No 'free lunch' sort-of-speak.
Depending on the gain, it often requires more attention to the reduced pattern, as compared to an omni type, to achieve consistent 'connection'.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20