Antenna falls off Phantom Video

Reaction score
I was flying last night and getting sunset shots when all of a sudden, I see this object fall from the Phantom. I didn't think too much of it until I got in the house and noticed my downlink antenna was missing. That had to be the object I saw falling. I went into the yard I was filming and sure enough I found the antenna. Here is the video I shot. You can see the antenna fall away from the craft. I was a very lucky guy.

Phil H.

Here is the link to the video:

https://vimeo.com/118315693

Typically if you power up a transmitter with no antenna it usually burns up. Did yours fair OK?

Is that a "Blue Beam" antenna? They say they're virtually unbreakable. Was there any damage?

I'm also curious how your transmitter liked trying to push power to nowhere.

LuvMyTJ said:
Typically if you power up a transmitter with no antenna it usually burns up. Did yours fair OK?
Actually, it did. That was my first concern when I got the Phantom back on the ground. I reinstalled the antenna (tightly this time) and flew again. All was fine.

PhilH

IflyinWY said:
Is that a "Blue Beam" antenna? They say they're virtually unbreakable. Was there any damage?

I'm also curious how your transmitter liked trying to push power to nowhere.
Yes it was a Blue Beam falling from 100 feet or so. And, the xmitter is fine. I am sure the SWR was high.
Phil

Wow! lucky you had the camera pointing straight down, otherwise you would have never saw it. Nice that it basically showed you right where it was. Where is this filmed at? Very pretty with all the palm trees and such.

Wild Bill said:
Wow! lucky you had the camera pointing straight down, otherwise you would have never saw it. Nice that it basically showed you right where it was. Where is this filmed at? Very pretty with all the palm trees and such.

I was very lucky. I live in Indian Rocks Beach, FL and that is where I filmed this.
Phil H.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers