another weird problem....

Reaction score
Hi All. Another of those strange problems.
My P2V+ was working perfectly normal and suddenly, when I turn it on, it starts blinking slowly green, yellow and red, indicating that I need to recalibrate it.
I then go into the Phantom Assistant, plug the drone in, and it tells me immediatelly that I need to do an advanced calibration.
I start the advanced calibration, the leds turn from red/yellow/green to three rapid yellows - pause - three rapid yellows - pause....
And the calibrations goes on and on and on.
Any idea on how to fix this?
Thank you all for any help

Simples.
You CANT do a warm advanced IMU calibration. DONT ignore the MC TEMP WARNING. If you see this, wait for it to cool down.
Take the battery out and charge it. Make a coffee and wait 30minutes for her to cool down.
If you're in a hurry, take the open end of the phantom and place near an air conditioner.

When cooled, plug the usb in the phantom and have the phantom assist the IMU calibration screen ready. The moment you turn her on, do the calibration. The warning should NOT appear. It should take 2 minutes or less for the green ticks.

And fInd a levelled place, levelled with the horizon that is.

When doing the IMU calibration, I usually use a normal table fan to keep the Phantom cool. Seems to work as then I don't get the temperature warning. Remember, the Phantom is designed to operate with those four powerful cooling fans!

Issue solved: for some reason, calibration wouldn't finish in windows 8, but finished quickly in mac.... Go wonder....

I stuck mine in the fridge for literally 2 mins... Don't leave it much longer or can get issues with condensation... Gimbal can get screwed easy when mixed with water I suspect.
Took mine out in a VERY light drizzle... flew fine, FPV was fine.. landed and changed battery for second flight.. turned it on and gimbal did the crazy gimbal dance... thought I had just lost $700 but luckily it settled down and has been fine since, which was a couple month ago.

*edit* actually thinking back after I took it out of the fridge I let it go back to room temp for a while as I was worried if it was to cold maybe the results could be skewed...
probs rendered the fridge exercise useless lol.... Anyone know if having it to cold can skew results ? and yeah.. if you stick it in the fridge and forget it about it for 4 hours don't come crying to me for $1200 :p

Mako79 said:
Simples.
You CANT do a warm advanced IMU calibration. DONT ignore the MC TEMP WARNING. If you see this, wait for it to cool down.
Take the battery out and charge it. Make a coffee and wait 30minutes for her to cool down.
If you're in a hurry, take the open end of the phantom and place near an air conditioner.

When cooled, plug the usb in the phantom and have the phantom assist the IMU calibration screen ready. The moment you turn her on, do the calibration. The warning should NOT appear. It should take 2 minutes or less for the green ticks.

I am not trying to be disagreeable here, but what are you basing it on? I never worry about that message coming up. I just continue with the calibration and never have any calibration issues. Anytime I pull the cap off the Phantom I always do an IMU calibration, even if it says I do not need to. I figure it doesn't hurt. Half the time I do the calibration, I get the warning message. I always ignore the message and the calibration works fine.

Mako79 said:
Simples.

Not true, I have always had this message on my old Vision and now Vision + V3 and my IMU advanced calibration was always suceeding anyways.

All I do is close the pop up with 'x' and wait for the calibration to finish.

I was told the over heating warning was a glitch in the software and to ignore. I have turned on my phantom just to do the advance calibration and the warning came on. How can it get that hot in 2 seconds. I think its funny that people are shoving their copters in the fridge. I have done mine a bunch of time trying to get my gimbal calibrated and haven't seen any spontaneous combustion.

I've always ignored that warning too.

For me, I'm in 75 degree air-con in my house, and as fast as I can connect and start cal, I have always got that warning and always ignored it.

No problems ever.

Mopar Bob said:
Mako79 said:
Simples.

I am not trying to be disagreeable here, but what are you basing it on? I never worry about that message coming up. I just continue with the calibration and never have any calibration issues. Anytime I pull the cap off the Phantom I always do an IMU calibration, even if it says I do not need to. I figure it doesn't hurt. Half the time I do the calibration, I get the warning message. I always ignore the message and the calibration works fine.

I'm no engineer or a science guy. I'm just basing this with observations, experiences and logic.
A few on this forum have had this problem and the advice worked.

I'm in Australia so our ambient temps are much higher. This means the warning appears quicker in the summer.
I know for a fact that leaving your phantom on without the props spinning will heat up the phantom real quick. This why after 5 minutes idling without props on causes the Adv calibration to take 15-20 minutes and fail (when you don't see the green ticks). You might be lucky in the USA with colder climates and hence not seeing the warning as frequent we do.

At a stationary point, my phantom yaws at high speed on a dime without having to do any shimming or height adjustments.
My Altitude readings are pretty accurate and never fluctuate at initialisation.

This is because I take the IMU calibration seriously. The IMU is about the size of penny/5cent. It has the gyro/accelerometer and the barometer. Think of this... The sensors are tiny any influences will cause miscalculations if the calibrations aren't done to specs. The barometer is probably the one affected most as it measures pressure and what influences pressure? Heat does.
So keep her cool and on a horizon levelled surface when doing an Adv IMU.

Mako79 said:
At a stationary point, my phantom yaws at high speed on a dime without having to do any shimming or height adjustments.
My Altitude readings are pretty accurate and never fluctuate at initialisation.

All I can say is that I see absolutely no difference when I run a calibration and the warning does or does not show up. The quad flies exactly the same either way.

Mako79, hear hear! Totally agree with all your points. Warnings should never be ignored, just because we can't be bothered dealing with it, then wonder why there are flyaways or other mishaps.

Can you imagine a real pilot of a real aircraft doing such a thing? We should all try to be as professional and as proficient flyers as we can, and do things accurately.

Whether in a warm or cool climate, the Phantom will heat up quickly without the props on, and it would appear the IMU is particularly sensitive to that.

It is not difficult to keep the Phantom cool while doing the IMU calibration with the props off. As I said in an earlier post, just use a normal desk fan - that emulates the typical operating conditions with the props on. Whenever I do it that way, I don't get the warning.

Never put the Phantom in the fridge! The instant you take it out, condensation will form.

rickasaurus said:
it would appear the IMU is particularly sensitive to that.

If the IMU is that sensitive, don't you think placing the Phantom in a different environment is going to change things. Say from inside the house to outside, with either colder or hotter temperatures? Do the internals stay at a constant temperature from time of calibration to flight time or even during the flight? Many of us have no issues by ignoring the warning. Many of us feel that the warning is just one of many bugs in the software that DJI produced. Many of us see no difference in flight characteristics between completing the calibration with or without having received the message. So when someone publishes a post that indicates "YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONs" some of us have to express another point of view. So hear hear to that! You made your point, and I made mine. Lets leave it at that.

Mopar Bob, I agree with you that we really don't know whether that warning is real, or just a software bug. So you are totally right to express your point of view, and also to choose whether to ignore the warning or not. Agree, leave it at that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31