Another way to prevent motor mount cracks - and stiffen arms

Reaction score
I did the following on my P2:

1. Used a 3D printing 'pen" with ABS plastic to fill in the areas around the screw bosses under the motor and up to the speed controller, then filled in the "ring" around the motor, ( I used a "3Doodler", but any other 3D pen should work as well )
2. Anyone who knows about 3Dprinting with or without a pen knows that adhesion is difficult unless both plastics are HOT. But I didn't care, because...
3. I used THIN CA to bond the ABS mount stiffeners to the phantom's shell.

WHOA! did that make a shocking difference. I can pick up the whole phantom one motor shaft an it doesn't budge. When I have the time, I'll try so post a STL file that is the same shape, so that others can just drop them in, and glue them in. (maybe I should sell them...:)

The arms still had a some torsional flex, so I did this:

I applied THIN CA around the lenses for the LED's. I made sure that the CA was applied all the way around. That made the torsional strength skyrocket. I do know that doing this is a PERMANENT mod, but there is not really a good reason to remove those lenses, ever.

I was able to raise the gains without issue, and greatly improved the stability - especially in high wind conditions. (it also makes better video when its flying at high speeds)

Does the P4 have stiffer arms than a P2/P3? DJI did mention that the P4 has sport mode, and perhaps they stiffened the arms so that they could include the sport mode, and allow the P4 to fly faster.

I did the following on my P2:

1. Used a 3D printing 'pen" with ABS plastic to fill in the areas around the screw bosses under the motor and up to the speed controller, then filled in the "ring" around the motor, ( I used a "3Doodler", but any other 3D pen should work as well )
2. Anyone who knows about 3Dprinting with or without a pen knows that adhesion is difficult unless both plastics are HOT. But I didn't care, because...
3. I used THIN CA to bond the ABS mount stiffeners to the phantom's shell.

WHOA! did that make a shocking difference. I can pick up the whole phantom one motor shaft an it doesn't budge. When I have the time, I'll try so post a STL file that is the same shape, so that others can just drop them in, and glue them in. (maybe I should sell them...:)

The arms still had a some torsional flex, so I did this:

I applied THIN CA around the lenses for the LED's. I made sure that the CA was applied all the way around. That made the torsional strength skyrocket. I do know that doing this is a PERMANENT mod, but there is not really a good reason to remove those lenses, ever.

I was able to raise the gains without issue, and greatly improved the stability - especially in high wind conditions. (it also makes better video when its flying at high speeds)

Does the P4 have stiffer arms than a P2/P3? DJI did mention that the P4 has sport mode, and perhaps they stiffened the arms so that they could include the sport mode, and allow the P4 to fly faster.

How much did you raise the gains ? a screenshot would be nice. I don't think the torsional strenght in arms is that important might actually cause more cracks at joints since its too rigid. I only coated entire motor mounts and adiacent mounting holes with epoxy and its holding very very well so far.

I just want to do a small update to the situation of the P2V cracks. I've done maybe 8-9 flights most of them in ATTI mode pushing hard on the good old P2V and absolutely no new cracks at all. The body is very solid and motors the same.

I'm really glad I didn't order a replacement shell yet because I think this will hold until I buy a new Phantom.

The epoxy glue became really hard after a few days and its very complicated to even mechanically remove it.

Time will tell but this seems to be a very good fix so far.

I went a slightly different route. I used a two part plastic specific epoxy to glue the prop guard mounts to the outside of the lower shell. Don't know how much it will help but it is now stiffer than before. Time will tell.

I went a slightly different route. I used a two part plastic specific epoxy to glue the prop guard mounts to the outside of the lower shell. Don't know how much it will help but it is now stiffer than before. Time will tell.

Why not do my method and glue from the inside ? I honestly think my method is the most future proof of all. I flown maybe 25 times since I've done it and by one flight I use 2-3 batteries. Absolutetly no new cracks or anything similar. The screw mounting holes in perfect condition !

Why not do my method and glue from the inside ? I honestly think my method is the most future proof of all. I flown maybe 25 times since I've done it and by one flight I use 2-3 batteries. Absolutetly no new cracks or anything similar. The screw mounting holes in perfect condition !
No special reason, just trying something different and didn't need to open the AC.

I'm curious how long it will hold :) the only downside is that you can't see under the prop guards what is happening with the main frame. That would stress me out honestly ! :D but that is me :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl