Another UAS downed by gunshot

Not buying into Lively's statement. I think it's the second smartest thing he could say to protect his rights (first being, don't say anything). He was shooting his gun earlier that day (said to address that his gun had been fired as it can be confirmed). Said he heard a shot (how many other people live in the area that shooting a gun is acceptable). He heard someone else firing, was within visual range but does not have any idea where the shot came from (shot would have been made from a few hundred feet away... one shot... so how could he not be able to tell police where it came from.

With his denial of firing, this will probably remain a civil matter. I can't see the police spending much time on this issue.

Reactions: K9VXV
Agreed, but a spectacular (or maybe just lucky) shot at that range given that he stated that it was a pistol.

What would be a typical and controllable effective range for a .22? Just curious as to how high I should fly. I hear shots, every time I fly, out in the country area I live in and I just fly higher and try to get far away from anywhere anyone could possibly stand when I hear them.

What would be a typical and controllable effective range for a .22? Just curious as to how high I should fly. I hear shots, every time I fly, out in the country area I live in and I just fly higher and try to get far away from anywhere anyone could possibly stand when I hear them.

I'm sure that you will get wildly varying opinions on that but, at a moving target in the sky, I would think that much beyond 25 yds would be pretty sketchy.

.22 LR rounds vary from 30-40 grain with a muzzle velocity between 1,640 ft/s - 1,082 ft/s; energy is between 191 ft lbf (259 J) - 104 ft lbf (141 J). Typical effective range is about 150 yds (140 m) maximum.

I would think that knowing the altitude and direction of aircraft at the time it was shot, plus the angle of the bullet hole, they could find the area the shot was fired from. Now that's a lot of trouble and no one will bother. Just a thought. When people shoot into the skies, they don't seem to be concerned where the round will end up at. Let's put the public in danger to protect our privacy ...dumb

If the slug was recovered from the drone there is a possibility that it could be compared to the suspected hand gun and confirmed/eliminated as culprit.

As a responsible gun owner, I want people who are found guilty of endangering others and public safety through their irresponsibility or negligence fully prosecuted.

Man, the FAA better get off their duffs and get in front of this. Their inaction on drone shootings amounts to it being acceptable, how many times does a drone have to be shot at before some real collateral damage happens? Either from the stray bullet hitting an unintended target, or the damaged drone falling from the sky and causing a big problem down below.

If they went after these guys the same way the national parks are going after people flying out in the middle of nowhere in a park, word would quickly get out that you better not shoot at drones. This kind of news is so frustrating.

Man, the FAA better get off their duffs and get in front of this. Their inaction on drone shootings amounts to it being acceptable, how many times does a drone have to be shot at before some real collateral damage happens? Either from the stray bullet hitting an unintended target, or the damaged drone falling from the sky and causing a big problem down below.

If they went after these guys the same way the national parks are going after people flying out in the middle of nowhere in a park, word would quickly get out that you better not shoot at drones. This kind of news is so frustrating.

I tend to agree, although it would not be the FAA - it would be the FBI.

The FAA has made it clear that it's illegal to shoot down a drone. In Massachusetts discharging a firearm in a public space is a felony. Unfortunately there are no national standards for licensing and therefore no control over who actually has a gun.

Not to turn this into a gun thread, but responsible gunowners you are properly licensed would never discharge a firearm and destroy personal property with the risk of harming another and being liable and of being arrested.

To call hitting a drone with a 22 pistol a lucky shot is an overstatement. If the drone was 350 feet high then hitting it with a 22 pistol is almost random.

It sucks that people can't just mind their own business.

As you can tell from my name. Weapons were part of my life many years ago.
Pro gun advocate here.
But. There are just plain idiot gun owners out there.
They are not shooting drones to protect their privacy. They are doing it because they can!
Evidence: How many shot up stop signs have you seen????
How many bald eagles get shot every year.

Its not about privacy. Your drone is simply a target. Beware.

Very sad to read this,

How low do you figure he was flying?

Man takes drone out for a sunset flight, drone gets shot down

Take care,

Jesse

I agree folks should have and shoot guns as they please without license or registration (idiots can be gradually illuminated and/or eliminated by responsible people) as used to be the case.
Same with drones, folks should fly when and wherever they want.
Guns & drones will find a balance in society pretty swiftly.

Reactions: ArmyVet and K9VXV
I live in a fairly rural area and I recently, thru my step son, heard that there were certain people in the area that didn't like my drone and threatened to shoot it down. I informed my step son of the legalities of doing that and to remind the neighbors they weren't the only ones to own firearms.

As you can tell from my name. Weapons were part of my life many years ago.
Pro gun advocate here.
But. There are just plain idiot gun owners out there.
They are not shooting drones to protect their privacy. They are doing it because they can!
Evidence: How many shot up stop signs have you seen????
How many bald eagles get shot every year.

Its not about privacy. Your drone is simply a target. Beware.

You are probably right, the greater majority of gun owners are very responsible people, but there's always someone who just wants an excuse to shoot something flying.

Reactions: ArmyVet and Ranch5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan