Another Tablet Choice Question....

Reaction score
Hello all !

I fly a Phantom 2+ Ver3 and am getting used to some of its cool features..

I would like to learn how to use waypoints or ground station flight plotting apps.

I use a old Nexus 7 and it is too hard to see the features on the screen
and for fathers day my family bought me a new ipad mini3....

I just found out about the litchi App for android on this forum and it sounds like a cool app.

Android only so I would have to get rid of the Mini3. But is the Litchi any better that the DJI Vision app?

So my question is should I keep the min3 or switch to the galaxy tab S....

I don't know if I want to spend another $100 for the Galaxy (The Mini was on sale for $299)

or maybe get a less expensive galaxy (Android) tablet.

For anyone that uses a larger tablet, or litchi, what options can you suggest?

Does the Mini3 or Galaxy perform any better than for Phantom use?

Another thing I would like to keep in mind is that I might upgrade to the Phantom 3 or maybe get a Solo (If they get their act together) in the future, so I would like to get a tablet that would perform great with one of the upgrades also.

A third concern is I am thinking about trying to do a record screen app while flying and I was told that the Ipads cannot do two apps together. Haven't researched this much, just have seen a few utube videos of recordings.

Sorry for the long rant, but wanted to get out all my of concerns...

Thanks in Advance!

The iPad is limited when it comes to the number of Phantom apps out there. Seems Androids are more programming friendly -- hence the greater number of apps available when it comes to the Phantom. Until you decide what to do, you might want to try an IOS app called Vision Pilot Plus which has some similar features and capability as the Litchi Android app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vision-pilot-plus/id981481019?mt=8

I think many of us have purchased multiple apps which will give us a choice when needing a specific capability for a situation. Some apps have more settings to choose from, some provide verbal readouts as you fly, some have better graphics or a preferred screen layout, some allow you to plan GS missions and save them, some have wifi boost options, etc. The apps are cheap enough to try a few of them - especially when it comes to Android tablets.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 8.4 Tab Pro, which seems to handle the apps just fine.

BTW... The factory DJI Phantom app will allow you to fly GS missions. Just make sure that option is checked in the settings and you can swipe your FPV screen from right to left to bring up that map or aerial of the area.

Last edited:
I faced the same problem in December. I first got an iPad Mini with Retina display. Coming from Android I didn't care for the Apple way of doing things. Shou lets you do screen recording which is why I went with Apple. I kept the Apple for about a week, just wasn't happy with the performance or the screen which washed out a lot in the sunlight. Sent it back for refund and got the Galaxy Tab S with the Super AMOLED screen. I couldn't do screen recording with out it being rooted but didn't want to go that far. The Samsung screen was a winner though in direct sunlight it still washed out a lot. When I updated to Lollipop I was able to download REC which allows screen recording. Still on the Tab S

I find sunlight to be an issue no matter what tablet I use, even with a "glare-free" film applied. It's not actually the sun but the reflection of my sun-lit face in the screen. I've had to either stand in the shade or most times use a foot-long angled sunshade or sun box to eliminate that reflection. There are lots of threads on the subject.

None of the apps are made for the Windows operating system for flying. Don't know what you mean about the Nexus7, unless it's 1st gen. Mine works perfect ally and it has a very bright screen and high resolution. I use the waypoint in both the DJI app and I. The Litchi app. I can do more with Litchi's as there are no flight distance limits. You just have to be careful and calculate enough flight time to return home. DJI's app lets you fly out to 1625 ft as a max. I would recommend taking baby steps. You indicated a lot of things you want to do. But the key is one at a time and get them right. To many and you may find your saying bye bye birdie... Take your time and enjoy !

Reactions: DLinzy
Thanks All for your replies....

I use a Nexus Evolution (My Daughter old Phone), not sure what version is, and it is just too small for me to see, testing ground station, but can't get it to zoom in close for the way points to work.

I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 but won't update past Android 4.0.4 and I get no picture on the screen from the camera. I tried to do the debug procedure form anothers post and can't get it to work... I think from everyones suggestions, Android is the way to go. I think I'd like learning to use the Litchi App for Ground station.

So back to looking for an affordable 8" tablet. I found device compatibility's for solo and I think the Android is the way to go here also....

Thanks All again ~

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.