Another sad crash story

Yes. In my case I was on pretty level ground. I realized just as it hit I was too low. It was a stupid place for a follow me flight but thought the trees would add something. It sure did! A costly fix.

Just checking: you guys realize that the altimeter reading is relative to your Home Point location, not the elevation above ground of where it is currently hovering, yes?

Altmeter is not very precise on P3. Check altitude numbers when you are 3-4 meters above your home point after you do 10 minute normal flight. Mine would say anything between 5 and 10m.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just checking: you guys realize that the altimeter reading is relative to your Home Point location, not the elevation above ground of where it is currently hovering, yes?

This is not that. This is merely performing a CSC, engine start, and straight up to 6 feet right at home position with no lateral deviation via stick. After a few moments the AC will begin to descend slowly with unpredictable slow drops in altitude until it is back on the ground. The altimeter does not change.

Reactions: DennyBoBenny
This is not that. This is merely performing a CSC, engine start, and straight up to 6 feet right at home position with no lateral deviation via stick. After a few moments the AC will begin to descend slowly with unpredictable slow drops in altitude until it is back on the ground. The altimeter does not change.

Mine does this also, although I've never let it go long enough to to see if it would return to the ground. Showing an altitude reading relative to the home point makes no sense at all, and based on my experiences it's not true. I hand-caught my P3A at the home point yesterday and the app showed it at 14.1 feet. If I was that tall I'd have played in the NBA. I want to know the altitude of where the bird is at so I don't crash into something or hit the ground. I just can't believe they would engineer it that way. Would you want to fly in an airplane that did the same thing?

Showing an altitude reading relative to the home point makes no sense at all, and based on my experiences it's not true. I hand-caught my P3A at the home point yesterday and the app showed it at 14.1 feet. If I was that tall I'd have played in the NBA. I want to know the altitude of where the bird is at so I don't crash into something or hit the ground. I just can't believe they would engineer it that way. Would you want to fly in an airplane that did the same thing?

Yeah, I couldn't wrap my mind around "altitude relative to home point". And, NO, I would not want to fly in an airplane that based its altitude on the departure point. :eek:

Mine does this also, although I've never let it go long enough to to see if it would return to the ground. Showing an altitude reading relative to the home point makes no sense at all, and based on my experiences it's not true. I hand-caught my P3A at the home point yesterday and the app showed it at 14.1 feet. If I was that tall I'd have played in the NBA. I want to know the altitude of where the bird is at so I don't crash into something or hit the ground. I just can't believe they would engineer it that way. Would you want to fly in an airplane that did the same thing?
Airplanes must adjust their altimeter based on barometric pressure. One day, the airport may be at 2900' while the next day it may read 2940'. It's difficult to get an absolute altitude reading as the barometers pressure changes.

On our Phantoms, the barometer zeros at home point. As the Phantom flies, the aircraft warms as does the barometer. This gives us a higher altitude reading than at takeoff. My Phantoms usually land at 15-30' above home-point. This is why you're flying the bird. It doesn't get altitude from GPS satellites.;)

Reactions: DennyBoBenny
It doesn't get altitude from GPS satellites.
I have always wondered why they don't do some sort of correlation between barometric altitude and GPS altitude while in P mode.
Only four GPS satellites at a minimum are needed to determine altitude. With the built-in GPS inaccuracy, the four satellites may or may not be more accurate than the barometric reading, but used together would seem to be ideal.
Maybe the calculations are too complex to deal with on-board if the satellites are lost after the initial correlation on the ground and it has to go back to barometric only?

My pc system won't process 4 K, but my next upgrade will. I am a photographer that shoots only in Raw Format. More options for post edit, and 5 years from now there will be RAW editing tools we can't even imagine today,

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: m0j0
Agree 4K future proofs your footage. It is a big deal for me. Not a big deal for others. I think it's great we have options.

I went ahead and bought another P3P while I worked out how to deal with the broken one. I ended up sending it to DJI for repair. It only took two weeks and that included shipping from Illinois to California. It cost $311 but now it's back to factory specs. Haven't decided if I'll sell it or keep it for a back up in case I pull another dumb move.

The pro and the advanced are not the same. Read through the entire thread and you will understand that the internals are not the same they have different capabilities that are hardware specific. I'm done here just don't want someone to think they are the same aside from a software difference.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Well the camera is different and the gold stickers. But everything else is exactly the same. Even DJIs own website confirms that. All the part numbers are the same. Listed as "ADVANCED/PRO.
It's just a different camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.