Another sad crash story

If the electronic board of gimbal is good, you can buy a P3A and convert it to P3P. Also sell off Controller.
I'm interested in the concept of converting a P3A to a P3P. I just bought the advanced a couple weeks ago and have been wishing I had the 4k professional model. Any direction on where to find out more about that? thanks

I'm interested in the concept of converting a P3A to a P3P. I just bought the advanced a couple weeks ago and have been wishing I had the 4k professional model. Any direction on where to find out more about that? thanks
You replace P3A gimbal with P3P gimbal and update to P3P FW. Easy and simple.

P3P brand new gimbal costs $389, sell your P3A gimbal for 200 plus.

Reactions: Gpanek
Congrats on the replacement. That's what I did, which means I have a back-up P3P, which has come in handy on more than one occasion.

"I don't need 4K"

First off, there are other advantages of the P3P over the P3A other than that.

So, what exactly is different/better with the P3P over the P3A, other than 4K capability?
I had no need for 4K video. If I ever do, I'll be upgrading to the Inspire platform anyways. I completely understand the concept of compressing higher resolution footage, but it just slows everything down when you only need 1080 res. In my case, the primary decision was the 12MP still camera output (same on both units.)

So, what exactly is different/better with the P3P over the P3A, other than 4K capability?
I had no need for 4K video. If I ever do, I'll be upgrading to the Inspire platform anyways. I completely understand the concept of compressing higher resolution footage, but it just slows everything down when you only need 1080 res. In my case, the primary decision was the 12MP still camera output (same on both units.)
4k is the only difference. my understanding is that shooting in 4k and processing to 1080p makes for a cleaner video, but it may not be worth it. On the other hand, like all technology, soon 4k will be the norm.

Reactions: AerialZ
Oh, and the 100W charger. I will give it that (as I just ordered one.)

I agree, it will be the norm at some point, but for most applications as it stands now, it's complete overkill. Bigger files, more processing time at every step... All that most will only use to produce YouTube videos? No thanks, 2.7K works fine for 'all dat!'
Gimme the gorgeous stills in RAW. I'm a happy camper.

Oh, and the 100W charger. I will give it that (as I just ordered one.)

I agree, it will be the norm at some point, but for most applications as it stands now, it's complete overkill. Bigger files, more processing time at every step... All that most will only use to produce YouTube videos? No thanks, 2.7K works fine for 'all dat!'
Gimme the gorgeous stills in RAW. I'm a happy camper.
Well, frankly, that was my thinking when I bought it and I'm not completely sold on reversing my original decision. Really happy with the videos its making now. Havent tried the RAW pics in lightroom yet.

Reactions: AerialZ
Agreed. I went into this wanting to purchase an Inspire (coming from years of 'dumb' quads where you actually had to fly them.) After waiting about a year, I figured it would be wise to invest into a 400 size first that was packed with the technology before making a much larger investment. When the prices dropped on the P3A, it was a no-brainer. Maybe I'm just waiting the same on the eventual Inspire 2 to hit the market to watch the prices drop as well.
Really happy with the videos its making now. Havent tried the RAW pics in lightroom yet.
You're going to love the ease of manipulating the images' data. I made something out of this still with very 'odd' lighting. Fog had just lifted and it was a strange filtered lighting, but I was able to grab color detail back in post.
PostDJI_0004WEB.jpg

All that most will only use to produce YouTube videos? No thanks, 2.7K works fine for 'all dat!'
I plan on more than just youtube videos. And as a long time photographer, I've learned to plan for the future rather than find out 10 years ago that I'm stuck with crappy 2016-era source files.

Also: with 4K, you can grab 12MP stills.

This is Misinformation... 4K isnt the only advantage.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

This is Misinformation... 4K isnt the only advantage.

It is the main difference but not the only..

Please enlighten me (us) on the differences that you know of, other than the 4K vs 2.7K camera and 100W charger. I know of no other current differences since the APP was updated to provide the same features to both versions. Rumor is, as I understand it, you can even purchase the 4K camera/gimbal module and slap it on a P3A. I have not done this so I cannot state whether it's true with absolute certainty, but something to consider (especially if you damage the 2.7K camera.)

And to be clear, 4K output is fantastic for those needing that level of detail in their videography. The majority of 'enthusiasts' do not. Personally, I (and the majority of the masses in my opinion) have no real 'need' for anything more that the P3A in 2.7K output. It's a simple matter of choice, and the technology will advance much further in the next 5 years. If the P3P offered a higher resolution output in stills, it would have been something serious for me to consider in comparing the two models.

It's a simple matter of choice, and the technology will advance much further in the next 5 years. If the P3P offered a higher resolution output in stills, it would have been something serious for me to consider in comparing the two models.
It really is ok that you chose the advanced.. You don't have to justify your decision. It's your choice.

Agreed. I went into this wanting to purchase an Inspire (coming from years of 'dumb' quads where you actually had to fly them.) After waiting about a year, I figured it would be wise to invest into a 400 size first that was packed with the technology before making a much larger investment. When the prices dropped on the P3A, it was a no-brainer. Maybe I'm just waiting the same on the eventual Inspire 2 to hit the market to watch the prices drop as well.

You're going to love the ease of manipulating the images' data. I made something out of this still with very 'odd' lighting. Fog had just lifted and it was a strange filtered lighting, but I was able to grab color detail back in post.View attachment 51666
yes, i use lightroom for processing all my raw photos and love the way it can make a photo really pop!

I've learned a few things operating my bird but the most important of all is that the altimeter lies like a dirty rug. And wind will change the spacial orientation of the craft without notifying the sensors.

I love using Litchi over DJI Go however I have indications that my bird will lose more altitude without sensor update than DJI Go. Still testing this theory.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Zep, I've had the same problem with inaccurate altimeter readings using the GO app. One flight I could see the grass blowing beneath my P3A on my iPad screen, and was clearly only a few feet off the ground but the app said 20 feet. It's usually accurate when I take off, but seems to get worse the longer the flight is. This might be what happened with the OP...he thought he was at 60 feet but was actually 40 and that tree snagged him. I don't trust the app anymore...the video shows the true story.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Zeprider
Zep, I've had the same problem with inaccurate altimeter readings using the GO app. One flight I could see the grass blowing beneath my P3A on my iPad screen, and was clearly only a few feet off the ground but the app said 20 feet. It's usually accurate when I take off, but seems to get worse the longer the flight is. This might be what happened with the OP...he thought he was at 60 feet but was actually 40 and that tree snagged him. I don't trust the app anymore...the video shows the true story.Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just checking: you guys realize that the altimeter reading is relative to your Home Point location, not the elevation above ground of where it is currently hovering, yes?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav