Another sad crash story

Reaction score
Well, I really did it this time. I was in follow me mode at 60 feet. Some how a 40 foot tree reached out and grabbed it. When it finally reached the ground, it was on pavement. The camera broke off, the SD card ejected, a couple of the antennas popped out and there are parts rattling around in the body. I've got a service order in with DJI, and am waiting for further instructions. Here's my question(s). Do I even bother having them look at it? Should I buy a new P3P and keep the bashed one for parts? Or, if I buy a new one, maybe getting a Phantom 4 might make sense...except for the 4 batteries, props, and so on that won't fit a P4. I could try and sell that stuff, but it'll probably be for pennies on the dollar.

Take photos of the damage and a few here can point you to the right direction.
Could be a simple fix...

Prices being what they are, I'd vote for having a pile of spare parts. if it makes you feel any better I lost my old P3A orbiting to close to a tree when the wind shoved it (or the branches) ever so slightly. Costly but valuable lesson. Glad to hear your' re going to stick with it!

If the electronic board of gimbal is good, you can buy a P3A and convert it to P3P. Also sell off Controller.

Reactions: Gpanek
I assume it's ok, but the camera was knocked off, so don't really have a way to know. What is involved in the conversion process? I have found that 4 K video is too much for my computer, so that is no longer a major consideration.
I did get a response from DJI to send it in for evaluation. So I'll have to decide if it's worth sending it in. I could go ahead and buy a P3A. If the Pro is fixable for a decent cost, I'd have two or could sell one. If not, they can send it back and I'll have spare parts. Depends upon shipping costs.
Here are some shots of the visible damage.
Thanks

Attachments

• P3P crash 1.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1,253
  • P3P crash 2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 1,227
  • P3P crash 3.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,151
Looks quite beat up.

You can buy the drone only part from DJI, might work out as a cheaper option ?

Buy a new P3P and sell the rc. You will gain an extra battery and charger and props. Or sell those too.

Well, I really did it this time. I was in follow me mode at 60 feet. Some how a 40 foot tree reached out and grabbed it. When it finally reached the ground, it was on pavement. The camera broke off, the SD card ejected, a couple of the antennas popped out and there are parts rattling around in the body. I've got a service order in with DJI, and am waiting for further instructions. Here's my question(s). Do I even bother having them look at it? Should I buy a new P3P and keep the bashed one for parts? Or, if I buy a new one, maybe getting a Phantom 4 might make sense...except for the 4 batteries, props, and so on that won't fit a P4. I could try and sell that stuff, but it'll probably be for pennies on the dollar.
Check out x star premium by Autel

Buy a new P3P and sell the rc. You will gain an extra battery and charger and props. Or sell those too.
I bit the bullet and bought another P3P. I had too much peripheral stuff to change brands, or upgrade to the P4. I'll check into the cost of parts and see if there is anything I can do myself to fix it. Nothing to lose and I might have a buyer if I can get it working. I just didn't want to be without for a month or more while it's in the shop.
I had a nagging feeling I shouldn't take it up that afternoon, but ignored my sixth sense.

My phantom 3 Pro arrives tomorrow. I appreciate the info on this site - just seems like most need a grammar check app, and totally disregarding FAA regs is thought of as a cool thing to do. Let the hate replies begin!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've learned a few things operating my bird but the most important of all is that the altimeter lies like a dirty rug. And wind will change the spacial orientation of the craft without notifying the sensors.

I love using Litchi over DJI Go however I have indications that my bird will lose more altitude without sensor update than DJI Go. Still testing this theory.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Got my Phantom 3 professional just last week food many times with no problem. I am not new to quadcopters and consider myself an alright pilot but rushing through the setup didn't put one of my props on all the way and at 73 feet It Came Crashing Down before my very eyes. It's pretty much totaled frame is cracked and when the motor is bent up gimbal smashed simply heartbreaking. And yes I did put it on YouTube my channel is Patrick Kelly search for Phantom 3 professional destroyed

Congrats on the replacement. That's what I did, which means I have a back-up P3P, which has come in handy on more than one occasion.

"I don't need 4K"

First off, there are other advantages of the P3P over the P3A other than that.

However, just because your current computer doesn't handle 4K doesn't mean that you won't have a more capable system later. Think of it this way: capture your video at a rate as high as you can and consider it your digital negative.

When you process something you shoot today, you can edit and import it to something more manageable for your computer (and online uploading) today.

Tomorrow, you can use the footage for new videos that use tomorrows higher capabilities.

Reactions: Jtrjr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl