another Phantom 1 or what?

Reaction score
I got my Phantom 1 ver 1.1.1 a few weeks back. I like it and its flying well. I wanted to get some extra batteries. I got two with my purchase. No enough. Rather than buy extra batteries, I was thinking of getting a second Phantom like the one I have. But, for not much more I can get the fc40. Not sure about that one being on 5.8 and I have a Fatshark with goggles on 5.8. I also have a Gopro. So, I really don't need the fc40 camera thing. That being said, what would be the best buy for me? Another Phantom 1 with batteries just like what I have so I will always have a flyer that uses the equipment I have or something else. I'm not ready to invest into a Vision now and pay $160 for a single battery.

It's doing what I want. I just wish it had longer flight times. I was thinking rather than buy spare batteries etc that if I could get a good deal, I might buy a second one.

What flight times are you getting now? What's your payload and weight?

People are getting 12+ min flights fully loaded with 2700mah batteries, and others are getting 15-20+min with more serious mods. Depending on your needs, your existing 1.1.1 can probably do more than what you're getting now.

With prop guards and stock 2200 battery, Im getting about 11 minutes. Not real aggressive flying. With gopro probably 7 or 8 minutes. I start bringing her down at first sign of red led warning

ElGuano said:
What flight times are you getting now? What's your payload and weight?

People are getting 12+ min flights fully loaded with 2700mah batteries, and others are getting 15-20+min with more serious mods. Depending on your needs, your existing 1.1.1 can probably do more than what you're getting now.

Will the Phantom take a 2700 battery without mods? What brand and where for a 2700 battery. Has to be USA dist.

Yes it will fit a 2700mah battery without any modding.

It will fit a battery 107x35x27.

The gold standard in the US is 2dogrc.com's maddog 2700 battery. Should be good for 20-25% more flight time.

I just watched a video for their battery showing how to insert it. Its backwards and someone commented about shoving the leads in that way could eventually mess up the led status wiring. I need the balance plug to be facing out for fpv power

When they were single batteries, mine fit with the plugs facing out. You can also run a JST-XH extender if you want to run the leads face-in. It's not a problem with the LED board if you insert them carefully and make sure the leads aren't hitting the foam tape covering the board.

Flight time is entirely dependent on weight. If people are getting 9min with the maddogs, it means they were getting 6-7min with a 2200. I was getting 12 minutes with a fully loaded phantom with a Maddog. I asked this before but you never answered, what's your takeoff weight? If you're getting 11 minutes with a 2200, you'll get 13+ minutes with a 2700. If you optimize your low voltage settings to ensure you're hitting your 80% drain numbers, you'll probably get even more than that.

My 11 minutes or so flights are bare Phantom but it does have prop guards. I see no reason to put the battery in backwards from normal. I hate using extensions if not necessary.

Monte55 said:
My 11 minutes or so flights are bare Phantom but it does have prop guards. I see no reason to put the battery in backwards from normal. I hate using extensions if not necessary.

The prop guards cost another 1-2 minutes of flight. If you need 'em, you need 'em, but unless you're flying indoors or grinding on rails out there, most people ditch them after a while :)

In the end, the final choice is up to you, you're the pilot. I've found Maddogs fit fine for me without inserting backwards, and they're the best single Phantom battery I've tried.

ElGuano said:
Monte55 said:

The prop guards cost another 1-2 minutes of flight. If you need 'em, you need 'em, but unless you're flying indoors or grinding on rails out there, most people ditch them after a while :)

In the end, the final choice is up to you, you're the pilot. I've found Maddogs fit fine for me without inserting backwards, and they're the best single Phantom battery I've tried.
I don't need the guards flying but the legs are not that wide and upon landing the quad can tip over very easy if not a level surface. I normally just fly over grass but it can be clumpy and uneven

Hi

Here is my solution, to get 4000mah battery installed on FC40.
DSC_6738_zps34b25e41.jpg

DSC_6734_zps52aa17cb.jpg

DSC_6742_zps4dbaee21.jpg

Flight time about 15 min. (not just hovering..)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1