Another P3P down! Battery Error

I wouldn't be so sure about this. My new battery I received had a tighter fit than the original battery that came with it. I thought I had mine all the way in but apparently it did not click and I didn't notice. The next day I took off and got the critical battery error close by. Luckily I hadn't full throttled her yet and was just easing her out practicing recording smooth footage. I was able to get her back home safely and took her in nice and slow but I could easily see how I could have lost it in the water had I full throttled it backwards. When I checked mine after I brought it in, it had about an 1/16" gap. Sounds like when you went backwards that it slipped out far enough to cut the power if you ask me.

Pretty much exactly what happened to me. Spare battery turned up so I took her out for the first flight to start wearing her in. Was up fairly high and got the critical battery error and couldn't see how much power was in the battery. Didn't bring it back down straight away which wasn't the best choice but when I did I could see that the battery now had a slight gap between it and the housing. This new battery really needs pushing in hard and then to be sure I try pulling it out to be certain it's in there firmly. Maybe it's a new design or something.

Something very similar happened to !y original Phantom 2 Vision. Starting with a full charged battery then it suddenly going from 97% to critical then back then all out failing motors shutting off and a crash land on the grass. DJI claims they tested the batteries and found nothing wrong which was BS but they still proceeded to replace my damaged Phantom and all my batteries with new ones. So thumbs up in that regard but I did need to call them on the phone to make sure they replaced my batteries citing safety concerns.

When was your fatal crash? Did you have video for them of the crash?

Fighting with the battery is very common with a new phantom. You always have to make sure that you hear it click into place even if it feels tight.
My initial thoughts are you suffered 1 of 3 possible problems,
1: battery not seated properly and loosened itself with flight vibrations
2: a mistaken csc as you said you were pulling full back, maybe you inadvertently tried to descend at the same time and moved both sticks by mistake
3: complete battery failure.
only my opinion but I'd look at those 3 scenarios first in that order with my experience

I thought of the #2 csc, and should be corrected by DJI engineers, to have an addition toggle to throw prior to emergency csc. I have read this happening too much. In my case in was in a hover mode only after 58 seconds of flight, got a battery error, "not enough battery power to return home" and then loss of control of p-2, loss of fpv and then abrupt loss of power. she came straight down. My battery was well seated. If you read some threads, there is mention of battery contacts having to be cleaned, which causes some battery errors. DJI engineers need a "black box" data logger for all onboard data to determine mysterious crash causes. Just my thoughts.

This happened to me 3 times. 2 were battery failure and 1 was connector to one of esc's came loose (my fault). Can the battery be charged back to full, and if so can the P3 be powered up? What I'm getting at is mine went from 79% to 10% battery in a flash and fell from the sky before I could get back. When I tried recharging, it acting though it was normal until it got to 2 green bars and shut off. Pressing the button on the battery showed a full charge, all green bars. Assistant SW showed full charge, but when used again in a new P2, it did same routine showing full battery but just a couple minutes later it when to critical low battery warning and tried to land a few seconds and then cut off. Luckily I was standing next to it and caught it. I suspect a bad cell. So I am not surprised at any possibility of a battery malfunction, so far it has been the Achilles heel for these drones. So if you still have the battery and can power the P3 up, try a static run to see what results you get, may help narrow down possible causes.

This happened to me 3 times. 2 were battery failure and 1 was connector to one of esc's came loose (my fault). Can the battery be charged back to full, and if so can the P3 be powered up? What I'm getting at is mine went from 79% to 10% battery in a flash and fell from the sky before I could get back. When I tried recharging, it acting though it was normal until it got to 2 green bars and shut off. Pressing the button on the battery showed a full charge, all green bars. Assistant SW showed full charge, but when used again in a new P2, it did same routine showing full battery but just a couple minutes later it when to critical low battery warning and tried to land a few seconds and then cut off. Luckily I was standing next to it and caught it. I suspect a bad cell. So I am not surprised at any possibility of a battery malfunction, so far it has been the Achilles heel for these drones. So if you still have the battery and can power the P3 up, try a static run to see what results you get, may help narrow down possible causes.

In my case its some type of intermittent battery failure sensing, which initiates a failure warning on the FPV monitor before complete loss of power. What is really strange is the P-2 appeared to fly okay and maintain hover immediately after the loss of power and crash. Needless to say, I only attempted that test at a low hover to see if the aftercraft was okay and if it would power up and fly after the crash. There is something going on in the intelligent battery design and how it may communicate with the onboard computer to diagnose correctly what is happening.

So my P3P just fell out of the sky. I have one broken propeller, camera came right off, and so did the battery.
Picture of damage:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1nef6l6eyva6mp/IMG_3991.jpg?dl=0

As usual, I turned on the P3 and wait for it to get GPS connectivity before I take off. The P3 finished warming up and the status was green.

I started off by accending to ~390 feet and started going forward full throttle. When it was approximately 800 ft away from me, I got a "Critical Battery Error" or something along those lines. I can't remember because I know some other people have had a similar issue and immedialtely thought "Oh ****!!!, I need to bring it back ASAP". So I stopped moving forward and started to come back in reverse at about 26 MPH. When The P3 was 464FT away from me, it stopped and started to free fall. I was able to see that the propellers literally stopped moving as it came down full speed. I ran to the crash site and saw it on the grass just sitting there sideways. The battery was sitting on the ground powered on. The camera was a few feet away from where the P3 crashed.

Interestingly enough, as all of this was happening, I was not upset or sad. After seeing this same thing happen to others, I just figured it would happen to me sooner or later.

Some info about the P3 status:
Battery was at 94% when I got the Critical Battery Error.
The time window that show you how much flight time was left said 14 minutes.
I was flying in P-GPS the whole time.
At no point in time did I do the CSC thing. I just went forward on the right stick, saw the error, then went back on the right stick until it stopped and went down.
I did not have the memory card in the camera because I was just taking it around the neighborhood and did not plan on taking any pictures or video. I do however have the flight data and have uploaded to the cloud.

Some will probably say that maybe the battery was not in all the way. Well, that would be hard to believe in my case because I had to fight to get the battery out of the P3 each time that I needed to remove it so that I can charge it.

EDIT:
A little more info that I forgot:
I was running the latest firmware on the P3P, controller and battery. I have been on the latest since it came out.
I was one of the first people to receive the P3P, so it is not brand new and not my first time flying it.
I have a total of 4hr of flight time, 43 total flights, 177, 503FT flown, since I got it.
Every time that I put the battery in, it is all the way in.

Can't find fault with you. I wasn't there so can't be witness to anything. But...

Does anyone else find it interesting that you got your Phantom up to almost 400 feet, had 14 minutes of flight time still remainig *and* your battery level was rated at 94%? Shouldn't it have consumed much more battery power than that to climb that high? Then you went forward full throttle.

Again, since I wasn't there, it's impossible to say the battery wasn't fully inserted. But is it possible that the battery in some way was defective and created some kind of over-voltage spike? Again, that just seems to be an inordinate amount of remaining power for what you had already done.

On the one hand, your composure was amazing. One of my first flights with an RC plane consisted of telling the wife to start the timer, taking off, turning left and slamming into a big magnolia tree. As the leaves stopped rustling and I was tempted to scream F--K at the top of my lungs, my wife says "...is it okay if I stop the timer now?" It was actually hilarious.

Hope you get your bird fixed/replaced soon.

Can't find fault with you. I wasn't there so can't be witness to anything. But...

Does anyone else find it interesting that you got your Phantom up to almost 400 feet, had 14 minutes of flight time still remainig *and* your battery level was rated at 94%? Shouldn't it have consumed much more battery power than that to climb that high? Then you went forward full throttle.

Again, since I wasn't there, it's impossible to say the battery wasn't fully inserted. But is it possible that the battery in some way was defective and created some kind of over-voltage spike? Again, that just seems to be an inordinate amount of remaining power for what you had already done.

On the one hand, your composure was amazing. One of my first flights with an RC plane consisted of telling the wife to start the timer, taking off, turning left and slamming into a big magnolia tree. As the leaves stopped rustling and I was tempted to scream F--K at the top of my lungs, my wife says "...is it okay if I stop the timer now?" It was actually hilarious.

Hope you get your bird fixed/replaced soon.

The total flight time was 1 minute and 26 seconds. It took 26 seconds to go from 6ft to 390ft.

I already sent the P3 to DJI. I purchased another that I have not gotten a chance to fly other than once to see if the camera and everything else was working right. I was very scared to fly it since the last flight before that didn't end up so well. Hopefully I will get over it soon.

So my P3P just fell out of the sky. I have one broken propeller, camera came right off, and so did the battery.
Picture of damage:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1nef6l6eyva6mp/IMG_3991.jpg?dl=0

As usual, I turned on the P3 and wait for it to get GPS connectivity before I take off. The P3 finished warming up and the status was green.

I started off by accending to ~390 feet and started going forward full throttle. When it was approximately 800 ft away from me, I got a "Critical Battery Error" or something along those lines. I can't remember because I know some other people have had a similar issue and immedialtely thought "Oh ****!!!, I need to bring it back ASAP". So I stopped moving forward and started to come back in reverse at about 26 MPH. When The P3 was 464FT away from me, it stopped and started to free fall. I was able to see that the propellers literally stopped moving as it came down full speed. I ran to the crash site and saw it on the grass just sitting there sideways. The battery was sitting on the ground powered on. The camera was a few feet away from where the P3 crashed.

Interestingly enough, as all of this was happening, I was not upset or sad. After seeing this same thing happen to others, I just figured it would happen to me sooner or later.

Some info about the P3 status:
Battery was at 94% when I got the Critical Battery Error.
The time window that show you how much flight time was left said 14 minutes.
I was flying in P-GPS the whole time.
At no point in time did I do the CSC thing. I just went forward on the right stick, saw the error, then went back on the right stick until it stopped and went down.
I did not have the memory card in the camera because I was just taking it around the neighborhood and did not plan on taking any pictures or video. I do however have the flight data and have uploaded to the cloud.

Some will probably say that maybe the battery was not in all the way. Well, that would be hard to believe in my case because I had to fight to get the battery out of the P3 each time that I needed to remove it so that I can charge it.

EDIT:
A little more info that I forgot:
I was running the latest firmware on the P3P, controller and battery. I have been on the latest since it came out.
I was one of the first people to receive the P3P, so it is not brand new and not my first time flying it.
I have a total of 4hr of flight time, 43 total flights, 177, 503FT flown, since I got it.
Every time that I put the battery in, it is all the way in.
I was wondering if you have flown 43 flights how many batteries have you used and if you only using one battery have you recycled the battery after 20 flights or charges.

Got my extra battery some 4 weeks later than my p3p and it fits exactly the same as the the first.To pull it out with force it would break the clips.The only way it comes out on mine is is to grip top n bottom clips and pull.It doesnt move otherwise

Reactions: dottat4
I was wondering if you have flown 43 flights how many batteries have you used and if you only using one battery have you recycled the battery after 20 flights or charges.

Only one battery. After the accident, I took a look at the battery info on the DJI Pilot app and it only showed 20 charges. I would charge the battery after each use. Only 2-3 times when I was testing out the P3 with Prop Guards, I flew for a couple off minutes and I did not charge. That makes me wonder why it only showed 20...

If by recycle you mean let it die completely and then recharge, I believe I did that once. I think it was a couple of flights right l before the accident.

Got my extra battery some 4 weeks later than my p3p and it fits exactly the same as the the first.To pull it out with force it would break the clips.The only way it comes out on mine is is to grip top n bottom clips and pull.It doesnt move otherwise
I performed a drop test on a P3 from 2 feet and the battery popped out every time. None of the battery clips broke.

The crash was one year ago and I didn't present them with any video or anything other than returning the damaged Phantom to them and explaining the problem.

My P-2 Vision plus 3.0 is at DJI as of Thursday. They say it can take up to 6 weeks in que. I sure hope that this is not the case. Much too long to make a determination if you are going to replace a customer's item, or not.

My P-2 Vision plus 3.0 is at DJI as of Thursday. They say it can take up to 6 weeks in que. I sure hope that this is not the case. Much too long to make a determination if you are going to replace a customer's item, or not.
Mine took around that long but everything including the batteries were replaced.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl