Another P3P down! Battery Error

Reading these post...man there is a lot of green horns flying phantoms these days. No disrespect, but seems like people are just getting it, flying it, with out any research or reading of the manual(more then once) sorry had to get it out there.
Okay let it rip...

That's okay. That is what forums are for (right?). Although I can assure you that I am not a "green horn".

I made this post just so that people know what happened to me and that it can also happen to them. Ever since I saw the first P3 lost in the DJI Forums, I had accepted that mine could be next. That is part of the reason why I am not killing myself over this. It is the first run of the P3Ps and not everything works perfect all the time. It is a risk I took as an early adopter and I have accepted that. I just hope that DJI does their part to investigate this properly and replaces my P3P.

1: Battery was seated just fine. When I said that I have to fight with it, I mean that I have to press super hard on the battery tabs (to the point where fingers hurt) in order to get the battery out.

2: First and foremost, pulling back on either one of the sticks SHOULD NOT cause CSC. If it does, then the device is defective as it should not happen. Second, I was pulling back on the right stick, the one used to move back and forward. Not the left stick.

3: This is the only thing that makes sense to me.
cddd3e23805e99c7a5d7b349c62e4a88.jpg

They were only experienced opinions, no need to be testy

That's okay. That is what forums are for (right?). Although I can assure you that I am not a "green horn".

I made this post just so that people know what happened to me and that it can also happen to them. Ever since I saw the first P3 lost in the DJI Forums, I had accepted that mine could be next. That is part of the reason why I am not killing myself over this. It is the first run of the P3Ps and not everything works perfect all the time. It is a risk I took as an early adopter and I have accepted that. I just hope that DJI does their part to investigate this properly and replaces my P3P.

It's unfortunate, and I'm sorry! but I've never felt like my bird was next to drop out of the sky(God forbid).

I hope DJI takes care of you. Good luck!

I'm sorry I wish I could remember exactly. It did say something about a critical battery error and was flashing red at the top of the pilot app.

No problem. Thank you for bringing it up.

I decided to test if the P3 would turn on if the battery is not fully seated. Yes, it did turn on, but take a look at battery percentage in the DJI Pilot app, it is 0%. You can see it on the file called IMG_3993.jpg. You can also see that the battery is not seated properly.

Now take a look at IMG_3994.jpg. The battery is fully seated and you can now see the battery life in the DJI Pilot app is 88%.

I will also mention that the battery clicks and locks in securely very easily.

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_3994.jpg
    IMG_3994.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 489
Just a thought could a bad stick calibration cause an unexpected CSC
I know doesnt explain the battery error
just food for thought

VMP what are your plans for your bird? I don't think any of the dealers have the parts you need and DJI is quoting 6 weeks to everyone right now. You may be better off selling it for parts in the classifieds and purchasing a new one. I have seen people looking for bodies, cameras and controllers . My 2 cents.

I apologize if it came across that way. I was just trying to emphasize how it should and should not work.
I think you are kind of proving that it's possible to power up the quad with the battery not fully seated. Maybe if it's in just a lil more without seating it will show the correct battery level and then vibrate loose in flight. this is a very interesting thread.

Reactions: highcastle
I think you are kind of proving that it's possible to power up the quad with the battery not fully seated. Maybe if it's in just a lil more without seating it will show the correct battery level and then vibrate loose in flight. this is a very interesting thread.

Possibly, but you'd have to be super precise to get it to the point where it is unseated, while at the same time showing you the battery percentage in the DJI app. At least that is the case with my P3.

I am glad you find it interesting. Just like anyone else who has posted their crash experience, I am not obligated to post it. Even thought I know some people will just blame me for it, I still think there was value of me posting so that people can learn from this experience.

Sorry to hear about the crash. It sure sounds like a built-in defect.

(BTW, has anyone here told you to RTFM yet? That usually happens after a catastrophic loss. :))

Surprisingly I don't think so :p

I wouldn't be so sure about this. My new battery I received had a tighter fit than the original battery that came with it. I thought I had mine all the way in but apparently it did not click and I didn't notice. The next day I took off and got the critical battery error close by. Luckily I hadn't full throttled her yet and was just easing her out practicing recording smooth footage. I was able to get her back home safely and took her in nice and slow but I could easily see how I could have lost it in the water had I full throttled it backwards. When I checked mine after I brought it in, it had about an 1/16" gap. Sounds like when you went backwards that it slipped out far enough to cut the power if you ask me.

I had the exact same thing happened. Got the error while the bird was far away, still was able to get it back without issue. Looked at the battery, and it wasn't clicked into place completely.

Reactions: Skip holden
What's the difference?
I am wondering the exact same thing about the battery. I have read on this forum about differences in battery performance. My personal experience is that my supplied battery charges more completely than do the two extra batteries which were delivered much later. I'm curious if the insatiable demand for extra batteries resulted in DJI using less than ideal materials during the production scramble to meet demand.

Thanks for posting, thanks for your overall attitude about it and please let us know what DJI says. I've not had this kind of critical battery error. BUT about a week ago I did post about how I was sitting my office, bird on, props off, just going through the Pilot app familiarizing myself again with the menus..... and with the battery near full I got the low power warning. I double checked the app, look at and picked up the P3, battery was fully seated...wtf. (A week prior to this I made sure to power up the already updated P3 with latest firmware on the SD incase the bat needed it.) To clear the error I had to power down and back up. It's not happened (12 full flights later) since. So it's obviously not the same as your catastrophe but in the same scary "what hell just happened to the battery" ball park. I'm kinda just "waiting for it" also.

Hope you're flying sooner than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fjallis
I am wondering the exact same thing about the battery. I have read on this forum about differences in battery performance. My personal experience is that my supplied battery charges more completely than do the two extra batteries which were delivered much later. I'm curious if the insatiable demand for extra batteries resulted in DJI using less than ideal materials during the production scramble to meet demand.
That's the first time I've ever heard anything like that and I really doubt it

Reactions: Oso
Same here "critical battery error" in red. My battery wasn't all the way in! Luckily it was wasn't that far up and I brought it down asap. There was clearly a gap between the battery and the p3p when I inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Skip holden
I don't buy it that people say the battery is not properly seated. For me, my batteries have always been a tight fit and hard to pull out.
IMO a bad connection would cause a complete failure / reset and not a power deficiency. I'm not an electronics buff and someone else will probably tell me that you can have a partial connection on the battery spades and it would still run but not optimally. I'm an all or nothing on this one.

The battery has a data connector as well as the two power terminals. It looks like the power terminal connectors are physically longer than the data connectors, meaning that if the battery was to slide out, the first to lose connection would be the data connections, not the power itself. As such, the Phantom can detect that the battery is sliding out and still safely land, hopefully before the battery comes out completely

Reactions: Oso
The battery has a data connector as well as the two power terminals. It looks like the power terminal connectors are physically longer than the data connectors, meaning that if the battery was to slide out, the first to lose connection would be the data connections, not the power itself. As such, the Phantom can detect that the battery is sliding out and still safely land, hopefully before the battery comes out completely

Excellent reminder. Thanks.

Is it just me, or does it seem to you guys as well that we are seeing more and more anecdotal evidence that there is an issue with seating of the battery? By "issue" I mean either user error or a design flaw that allows for the user error.

There have been a few threads on this topic already. I recall that someone posted a picture of Velcro he was using after a close call to be sure his battery didn't slide out again. My first thought was that Velco was silly. Just be sure it clicks when you slide the battery in place and you should be fine. Maybe not?

Maybe there needs to be some sort of secondary locking mechanism. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.