Another Newbie with Questions

Reaction score
Hey all I just wanted to say I am learning so much from you guys and appreciate the time you take to help others out. I have a few questions. Just got my P3A a couple weeks ago. I am going to this site, printed off a manual someone (forget who) graciously posted (it fits in a 1/2" binder) and am taking small steps. Plus yesterday it was freaking -8 without the wind here in WI. Anyway have my unit, case some accessories (100W charger, 4 extra batts, props, arm guards, nice raptor case) well you get the picture. Anyway I had a couple questions if you don't mind:
1. My 64 GB card is a SandDisk ultra plus card. I am going to get more but wanted one to be able to make sure all firmware is updated (I want to do that right?) When I go to format my only options are NTFS or exFAT. Assuming this is fine.

2. How do the batteries actually get updated? Do I charge each one and then stick it in the P3A?

3. From above do I really want to update to the latest firmware available.

4. What is the best way or product to buy to discharge the batteries. Or just let them go from full charge and work themselves down automatically.

I appreciate the help. Won't be flying for a while as I am trying to finish a few M1 stocks while the weather sucks and read through the 89 page doc. Wow there is a ton of info. Have flow RC planes before so I am not too worried but am new to the P3 products.

Thanks

Chris

Not sure about the shole firmware thing. However, in the DJI GO app there is a setting for how long you want to wait before the batteries auto-discharge. DJI included this feature by default :grinning:

Format your SD card to exFAT on your computer or, if you format it in the Phantom, it will do it in exFAT automatically. I use the 16GB card that came with the P3 for firmware.

The battery will update when you update the FW on the bird with FW version 1.3.2 (if your bird is on FW earlier than that) or 1.6.4. Those are the only two recent FW with battery updates. Update additional batteries by leaving the FW on the SD card and putting new battery in the bird and power on.

Don't be in any rush to update the firmware or GO app. Fly with what you have and research the pros and cons of the newer firmware to see if they are right for you. The vast majority have no problems with the newest FW - including myself.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
How do the batteries actually get updated?
The DJI GO app will alert you if there is a firmware update for the current battery. At that point, you'll need to manually install the firmware update. If needed, you can find detailed firmware installation instructions here.

From above do I really want to update to the latest firmware available.
Check the "About" section of the DJI GO app to see which firmware version is installed on your Phantom. If it's version 1.5, then you should definitely update. If not, then it's up to you.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate all the input. Still fuzzy on the firmware issue as I have read so many different issues with bad experiences with newer firmware and others who have had no issues. I don't get that but from a computer and phone standpoint it has always made more sense to update to newer firmware. Improves performance and fixes bugs/issues. I like the suggestion of using the SD card that came with the P3A and use it to update the bird.

I have read so many different issues with bad experiences with newer firmware
Most people who don't have issues are not posting online. It's quite natural to see forums full of issues.

Most people who don't have issues are not posting online. It's quite natural to see forums full of issues.
Yes I agree you are right. I had to think about the other forums I am part of and they are usually filled with issues and questions and not just comments.
Thanks for all you your help gents.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31