another missed opportunity

Reaction score
I went back to this location in a narrow canyon that is a bit sketchy drive along a dirt road high beside cliffs. This is my second time to try to attempt to fly at this spot. The first time was on a holiday and there were a lot of people around but I tried twice to start up my Phantom 2 to get GPS locks. It never could lock 7 sats but would go back and forth between 5-6. I didn't fly that day.
I went back early this morning and there was no one there. I tried several different spots up and down this road. I could only lock max 6 sats. I then thought I would try ATTI mode. I thought that if I started up in ATTI it should show solid yellow lights when I was good to go. Unfortunately instead it was flashing yellow/red so I didn't fly.

While I was waiting for sat locks I kept hearing some noises like rocks moving. I wondered what the heck it was since I was the only one in this narrow canyon. Accross from me on the cliff less than 100 yards away were three large big horn sheep. I watched them for a while navigating along the cliff. They didn't seem scared by me. It would have made a great video if only I could have started up.
I'll share a picture of this place which is in a narrow canyon. I don't have a good picture of the big horn sheep since there's no zoom lens on a gopro from where I was standing.
68fzix.jpg

Heading back from this location the wind picked up then it started raining so I didn't even get to fly after all that effort. I got to see Big Horn sheep though close climbing the cliff which was a first for me :cool:

i'm very new to Atti mode myself, and after start up and seeing red/yellow flashes i investigated,
and from what i saw i believe in Atti mode you get yellow, red red red. the number of red flashes
will change with satellite lock count i believe. you may have been fine to fly in atti,
worth looking into to verify.
it would have been great to find those sheep!

From my understanding and the card attached to the controller solid yellow is ready to fly in non-GPS mode. The red flash was not ready to me. I need to read up more on starting in ATTI mode I guess

This is what I saw climbing up the cliff, 3 of em
Big-Horn-ram-on-the-trail-3.jpg

I went back to this location in a narrow canyon that is a bit sketchy drive along a dirt road high beside cliffs. This is my second time to try to attempt to fly at this spot. The first time was on a holiday and there were a lot of people around but I tried twice to start up my Phantom 2 to get GPS locks. It never could lock 7 sats but would go back and forth between 5-6. I didn't fly that day.
I went back early this morning and there was no one there. I tried several different spots up and down this road. I could only lock max 6 sats. I then thought I would try ATTI mode. I thought that if I started up in ATTI it should show solid yellow lights when I was good to go. Unfortunately instead it was flashing yellow/red so I didn't fly.

While I was waiting for sat locks I kept hearing some noises like rocks moving. I wondered what the heck it was since I was the only one in this narrow canyon. Accross from me on the cliff less than 100 yards away were three large big horn sheep. I watched them for a while navigating along the cliff. They didn't seem scared by me. It would have made a great video if only I could have started up.
I'll share a picture of this place which is in a narrow canyon. I don't have a good picture of the big horn sheep since there's no zoom lens on a gopro from where I was standing.
68fzix.jpg

Heading back from this location the wind picked up then it started raining so I didn't even get to fly after all that effort. I got to see Big Horn sheep though close climbing the cliff which was a first for me :cool:
Beautiful location, I can see why you went to the effort, shame you were not able to fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers