Another-- It doesn't hover like it used to, problem

flyNfrank said:
After watching your video I really think your compass in not getting calibrated correctly. Don't feel bad though cause I'm guessing that a large percentage of pilot's do not take calibrating the compass very serious. As well as not knowing the correct procedure.

Did you know...... You really should consider recalibrating anytime your compass gets near anything metallic. Even if it's a screwdriver, a set of car key's, nails or screws in a attached deck on the house, the top of your vehicle, ect and so on.

Also try to have some passion with your method of calibrating. Like don't have much expectations if you do a calibration inside your vehicle, house, workshop, basement, or in the middle of a automated car wash. I personally use what we call a lazy susan. Can be referred as a turntable as well. Anyway you can find these with 10 inch diameter pretty anywhere. It also helps to keep the process cleaner with less concern on scratching the ends of the body or breaking blades.

You should also recalibrate the compass if the place you are flying at is different from the last of flying.

Does your lazy susan not turn on metal ball bearings held together with metal screws? If so then everything you just said is hogwash...

I'm not holding my breathe that things have improved.. I replaced the compass and all my blades.. It still has a hard time maintaining a hover.. If I do a quick forward movement of 35 to 40 feet, then let go of the controls, it still swing 15 feet off to the left.. then appears to be hunting around to find a good place to hover.. I didn't have my I-phone connected tonight, but I'll try tomorrow to see how many gps satellites it connects to.. plus, I'll recalibrate tomorrow.. Otherwise, I'll hae to get in touch with the dealer and see if they have someone who can figure out what's wrong.. Very disappointed.. Especially after watching this video, and what great control the guy has.. especially from stopping abruptly after a quick run.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT-7bO0IK5U

I replaced the compass.. recalibrated the IMU and the compass (away from all metallic items-- even tried rotating the opposite direction).. Replaced the blades.. Got rid of the vibration, so I guess a prop had been damaged, even though they all looked fine.. Had 9 GPS satellites initially locked on.. Went into the toilet bowl effect when I lifted off.. Got up to 11 satellites locked on.. Improved a bit, but every time I went to do a 360, the copter would start wandering, like it was trying to get a fix.. Just by my own line of reasoning, and the way the copter hovered fine when I first got it, I'm thinking there's either an electronic part that has got progressively weaker, or during my crash, a wire came loose, or further damaged the electronics ?? The drifting left tendency, after a straight line run, seemed to improve a bit, after I got up to 11 GPs lock ons, but I'm thinking, what I had at 11, would probably be what a normal copter would act with 5 or 6.. ...Anyways, contacted the dealer yesterday.. He seems to think it's a faulty gps unit, so I've got it all packed up, ready to ship back to him todays, so he can check it out..

You said to put new rotors on...do you have any way to check if those rotors were balanced. I purchased some new ones after burning through my first two sets, later purchased a balancer (Dubro, $25), and found out 3 of them were unbalanced and two were real bad. After taking a little sandpaper to them, I had much more stable flight. Worth doing even if this isn't the root of your specific problem. Bottom line is just because your rotors are new doesn't mean that they're balanced.

Well most of us know what it's like to drive a vehicle with unbalanced wheels.. Yes, I agree the props should be balanced to have a vibration free flight..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20