Another-- It doesn't hover like it used to, problem

Most smartphones have an inbuilt compass and if you are on Android you can get apps that interrogate the compass such as this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ctor&hl=en

I find that it is extremely accurate on my Moto G.
It may be an idea to take a reading from the location where you calibrated before your bad flights and compare that to a remote location well away from anything metallic. This would not rule out any geological magnetic anomalies - do you know what the rock is in the area where you fly ?

My first phantom flew absolutely great, it had to be replaced due to a camera brick and the second one was exhibiting the same behavior as yours, toilet bowling and excessive drifting. When switching to Atti mode all of this stopped. I re-calibrated the compass and done the advanced calibration several times and it didn’t help. All the time the values in the software assistant were within the quoted tolerances. I used a magnet and completely messed the compass up and re-calibrated it, this helped, but it was still not as solid as my first Phantom.

Frustrated I took my phantom and laptop to the centre of a large playing field and did an advanced calibration (I used a spirit level to ensure it was as level as possible) and problem solved, the phantom now holds position as it should.

If this doesn’t help then I would look into purchasing a new compass unit as they’re reasonably inexpensive.

nagrom said:
My first phantom flew absolutely great, it had to be replaced due to a camera brick and the second one was exhibiting the same behavior as yours, toilet bowling and excessive drifting. When switching to Atti mode all of this stopped. I re-calibrated the compass and done the advanced calibration several times and it didn’t help. All the time the values in the software assistant were within the quoted tolerances. I used a magnet and completely messed the compass up and re-calibrated it, this helped, but it was still not as solid as my first Phantom.

Frustrated I took my phantom and laptop to the centre of a large playing field and did an advanced calibration (I used a spirit level to ensure it was as level as possible) and problem solved, the phantom now holds position as it should.

If this doesn’t help then I would look into purchasing a new compass unit as they’re reasonably inexpensive.

+1 nagrom ...

Yes compasses are nothing to some of the costs I have seen people incur trying to overcome issues, without just replacing a 20 odd dollar part :)

Mav456 said:
gunslinger said:
Have you changed the props recently? If so... are they DJI props or knock offs?

-slinger
**** the knockoffs. I bought 2 pair garbage was flying twitchy wasn't safe water my money so **** the knockoffs

Yup... That was what I was wondering. There are a couple of threads out there regarding these cheap, crappy props that look very much like the original DJI. They're not. The logo is not "DJI" it's "0X0X0" The leading edge of the blade is square, not rounded like the original DJI blade. And they're not even close to being balanced.

Don't entrust your investment to these blades just to save a few bucks... Not worth it. :roll:

Last night I did the advanced recalibration with the IMU.. I used a level to ensure the copter was completely horizontal (and I made sure not to touch it, during the process).. Now a couple of questions: Would doing this calibration inside affect anything? Or should that process also be done out in a large open field too?

This morning, I'm going to undertake a pilgrimage through the snow banks to a point of where I'm at least 300 feet away from absolutely anything metallic, before I do the compass dance.. That includes removing my watch, keys, and anything else-- even remotely deemed to cause a magnetic disturbance-- including the I-phone.. We'll see what happens.. .. thanks for all the tips.. :)

I guess most people do the advanced calibration at home, so you shouldn't have to be out in a field. I do know that using a magnet to mess the compass up and then doing the advanced calibration out in the field completely cured my problem. I've done several compass dances since and it holds extremely well (assuming I've got a good number of satellites, anything under 8-9 sats and it tends to hunt a little bit, but nothing major)

nagrom said:
I guess most people do the advanced calibration at home, so you shouldn't have to be out in a field. I do know that using a magnet to mess the compass up and then doing the advanced calibration out in the field completely cured my problem. I've done several compass dances since and it holds extremely well (assuming I've got a good number of satellites, anything under 8-9 sats and it tends to hunt a little bit, but nothing major)

Yeah... I see the same thing as I normally only get 7 satellites while on the ground. It hunts a bit, but nothing to be too concerned about. It generally stays within about a three foot radius. I've gotten as high as 12 satellites in another location and the hover is noticeably more stable...

-slinger

obiwan_pierogi said:
... An earlier poster got me thinking: I've been relying on the compass reading in the associate download diagnostic, and all my readings are good.. But could the compass take into consideration that say, for example, you did calibrate near a to a potential disrupting thing like a metal vehicle.. Would the compass readings then be normal for that situation ('cause that's where you calibrated).. but then when you fly, it now becomes off kilter, because it was calibrated with the metallic interference? I'm just guessing here, as after the few mishaps I've had, with the large circular hovers, I connect my copter to the computer, and it still says the compass readings are all within the proper parameters.. .
Yes, I think the compass parameters can be well within normal limits, and still be "off" - due to interference when doing the compass dance.

I tell you.. It's extremely frustrating, as I've been so **** in avoiding metallic things.. I even store my copter upside down, to keep the compass gadget away from everything.. I'm very careful recalibrating, and yet you turn on the youtubes, and see guys like Colin, so nonchalantly calibrating their compass in about 10 seconds, with rings and watches etc. on.. Not the least bit concerned about surroundings, and their crafts instantly hover perfectly still, while they babble on for 10 minutes, about what they're going to do next.. And here am I.. continually recalibrating, and now practically at the stage of stripping naked, and heading out miles in the bush in an attempt to get my craft to operate properly.. Maybe, as another poster pointed out, it's something deeper, for units like mine.. Maybe a glitch in the electronics.

Holy Bobbit... Standing naked with an uncontrollable copter, with spinning, slashing blades.. Like a scene from killdozer.. Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed..

obiwan_pierogi said:
And here am I.. continually recalibrating, and now practically at the stage of stripping naked, and heading out miles in the bush in an attempt to get my craft to operate properly..

I'm not sure engaging in pagan rituals will offer a solution. :lol:

OK.. so I shed all my metallic objects, even the sweater that had a metal zipper.. I walked a few hundred feet away from everything, and recalibrated the compass.. definitely better.. I could climb up, and it hovered fairly steady, but it seemed as soon I put in an input like rotating, the copter went into a 10' circle.. another input and it tried to stabilize.. One thing I really noticed, it still drifts to its left, when approaching towards me. And even if I'm going quite slow, as soon as I let go of the controls, it drifts into a large 10' or more circle to its left.. which after a fashion it tries to stabilize.. Near the ground it seems to be fairly stable, and if I pull a bit on a leg, I can feel it's reaction.. I honestly don't remember such a left drift after moving in a straight line, at a slow speed.. I seem to recall letting go of the controls, and it would basically stop.. Any thoughts?

obiwan_pierogi said:
OK.. so I shed all my metallic objects, even the sweater that had a metal zipper.. I walked a few hundred feet away from everything, and recalibrated the compass.. definitely better.. I could climb up, and it hovered fairly steady, but it seemed as soon I put in an input like rotating, the copter went into a 10' circle.. another input and it tried to stabilize.. One thing I really noticed, it still drifts to its left, when approaching towards me. And even if I'm going quite slow, as soon as I let go of the controls, it drifts into a large 10' or more circle to its left.. which after a fashion it tries to stabilize.. Near the ground it seems to be fairly stable, and if I pull a bit on a leg, I can feel it's reaction.. I honestly don't remember such a left drift after moving in a straight line, at a slow speed.. I seem to recall letting go of the controls, and it would basically stop.. Any thoughts?

Do you happen to have another full set of blades? If so, I'd be curious to see if there's any change...

-slinger

obiwan_pierogi said:

One thing I am wondering. Have you taken the lid off of it before? If so, it's pretty easy to put the lid back on rotated 90deg or so. This means your GPS orientation is off of centre....this will cause you no end of trouble, or just terminate your troubles in a fly away.

It's an easy mistake to make if not attentive when screwing it back together

Here is my video I did today.. Notice the vibration.. I'm thinking I may have damaged either a blade or a motor, when the copter crashed a few days back.. I'll know for sure in a few days, when my new blades arrive, and also a new compass sensor.. But check out the flight.. when I fly both ways, notice how it veers left.. coming back, I had it pointed right at me in the drive way, and it even tips left.. by the way, all the stops I should be hovering steady.. you can notice the circling up the hill.. And especially when I return, and turn the camera on the roof.. I'm not touching the controls.. and remember.. This is after I recalibrated the IMU, and walked out in the bush to recalibrate the compass.. Oddly, before I start to bring the copter down, I just touched the controls, and instantly the circling stopped.. it hovered not bad at all, down at ground level, before I landed.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwTKcZfc ... e=youtu.be ...Be sure to click on the little gear, and set the picture to (High Definition) HD 720p

pault said:
Have you tried flying in a different location (several miles away) just to rule out geo-magnetic interference ?

Is classic that one .... found nice park to fly, crashed bad .... investigated why, read everything i could here and everywhere, ........ discovered park housed massive gun emplacements at turn of the century, war buff at work said more than likely they just buried the magazine when they reclaimed the land on top of the ridge ... and I found it, .... as I flew over top of it, magged out and ate TREE .... Ouch !!!?? :shock: (dont fly their now in GPS)

GMANNZ said:
pault said:
Have you tried flying in a different location (several miles away) just to rule out geo-magnetic interference ?

Is classic that one .... found nice park to fly, crashed bad .... investigated why, read everything i could here and everywhere, ........ discovered park housed massive gun emplacements at turn of the century, war buff at work said more than likely they just buried the magazine when they reclaimed the land on top of the ridge ... and I found it, .... as I flew over top of it, magged out and ate TREE .... Ouch !!!?? :shock: (dont fly their now in GPS)
Starting to think that some of the fly-aways and out of control behaviour is just down to magnetic interference. I am going to start to use the magnetic field app on my phone to check for weird readings before flying in new locations now. These apps give very sensitive readings (put a magnet anywhere near and they go crazy) but do not know how to interpret them - have to do some research !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie