Another Idiot Pilot

That's another Pratt, determined to wreck our hobby. The article I read stated that a passenger heard the camera hit the carriage. Police have apprehended the person flying the drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The last time the BBC got on the bandwagon it was regarding a drone that crashed behind a downhill skier at the world cup. They made a real issue of it but what they forgot to mention was it was a professional TV drone flown by a qualified pilot. Just be careful in jumping to conclusions this time as it might just have been a similar drone!

I concur with Ian Walsh's point, if the PO was a legitimate operator filming with permission, well yes accidents can happen, if he was a private operator, filming for recreation, and the Home Point was not on private railway property, then until we know form the OP what or how it happened, hysterical bleeting by the tabloid press regarding the dangers of drone flying could be considered as typical sensationalising.

If the Police have questioned the OP we may eventually find out what happened, but it is unlikely that it will be via the tabloid press, because it just does not make a good story, if on the other hand the OP was a ****, and was in the wrong, lets hope he gets an arse kicking from the cops.

Sadly I'm of the opinion that what happens in the States, will eventually ripple down to the UK, and we will be required to register our (aircraft, a sad day :-( )
Waylander

Reactions: toorboy
The last time the BBC got on the bandwagon it was regarding a drone that crashed behind a downhill skier at the world cup. They made a real issue of it but what they forgot to mention was it was a professional TV drone flown by a qualified pilot. Just be careful in jumping to conclusions this time as it might just have been a similar drone!
Alternatively, one might take the view that if this sort of thing can happen when under control of an expert, the risks will be Even greater when in the hands of amateurs... And presumably there's more of them out there

I was thinking. A drone hitting a train is like a fly biting a bull. Really? Terrified passengers? Did anyone hear anything ? I think not. Unless this was a military drone. The size of a bus.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
You ever been sat in a car when a small stone hits the windscreen? [emoji33]

Reactions: GoodnNuff
This was close to me but not guilty!
It is possible it was a larger semi-pro one if the camera was really big enough to seen and heard hitting a clanking hissing 1000 ton train - well not a phantom anyway because the phantom camera is not much heavier than a ping pong ball.
It hit a tree near the track and the camera detached.
I thought it was amusing the BBC report used their own drone footage of the locomotive as backdrop!

Alternatively, one might take the view that if this sort of thing can happen when under control of an expert, the risks will be Even greater when in the hands of amateurs... And presumably there's more of them out there

So DaveJF what in your opinion should be done, if you take the view you stated, then there is no apparent solution and we should all walk around with a crash helmet on.... :)

I think it's funny how, if its a qualified professional it's ok to crash, but if it's a hobbyist that has thousands of hours flying or operating many types of rc, hang them by the gonads.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
A massive bang?... Over the sound of the train itself and tracks... I can understand if it hit a window and you were sat in front but it sounds as usual very exaggerated..

Quotes from the article.

Police are investigating how the drone managed to slam into a rear carriage

A huge bang stunned those on board

It was such a shock and could have caused a major accident

While no damage was caused, obviously drones are distracting to our drivers

What a crock of ****

At one time the media reported the news. Now they just make it up.

So DaveJF what in your opinion should be done, if you take the view you stated, then there is no apparent solution and we should all walk around with a crash helmet on.... :)
Well, firstly that wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that it didn't really matter whether it was an expert or an amateur it still highlighted the dangers associated with flying drones close to people, buildings et cetera.
Secondly, you answered your own question (albeit rather fatuously). I guess the solution is to build in redundancy on key aspects of the design and of course introduce collision avoidance technology. Most importantly, adhere to the guidelines/laws and be careful how close you get to people/bldgs/trains etc

Well, firstly that wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that it didn't really matter whether it was an expert or an amateur it still highlighted the dangers associated with flying drones close to people, buildings et cetera.
Secondly, you answered your own question (albeit rather fatuously). I guess the solution is to build in redundancy on key aspects of the design and of course introduce collision avoidance technology. Most importantly, adhere to the guidelines/laws and be careful how close you get to people/bldgs/trains etc

I agree to an extent with the point you make in the first paragraph, anything flying around in the air does entail a degree of risk, so too a frisbee on a beach for example, but as I suggested (fatuously or otherwise), you and I and other members on the forum were not there, and we do not know what happened, so the press sensationalising the terrors of drone flying will not help our cause, and may in my opinion, encourage the authorities to enforce stricter and more draconian legislation, I watched the debate on this forum that unfolded in the USA, and one could see the inevitable direction that sensationalising every incident no matter how large or small lead.
At the moment in the UK a high degree of tolerance exists with authorities, and long may it remain so, of the 10's of 1000's of drone operators in the world proportionally, very very few incidents happen or get reported.
Happy flying ( Keep It Safe ) :) Waylander

I have to say, hopefully without offending anyone, that this entire article is way over the top. Plastic drove vs Train, hmmm.... The whole thing is so over bloated it's completely ridiculous. Look at how many trains have crushed their way right through a car that's stalled out on the train tracks. How many people really think the operator of the train would really be distracted by a little drone flying around above, let alone even see the drone in the first place.?? I would think the operator of the train would be more worried about something on the tracks ie: a car, or bus, some kind of automobile and or animal, rather than something such as a drone. Anyone out there hear of the really big crash that happened out in the suburbs of Chicago a year or two ago on North Ave (rt.64) where train tracks basically cross a 6 lane road in an X shape on a diagonal... anyone.... probably not... Well, this entire story, to me, has more to do with a revamped train that is supposedly an 'icon' that I've never heard of (no offense given, so please don't take it that way, I love trains, especially my old model train) that something may have caused such a miniscule amount of damage to, that it's not even worth noting. My point is this, had this train hit a car, or an animal on the tracks, I'm sure I would have never heard anything about this, and would know nothing about this 'icon' of a train all the way out here in the suburbs of Chicago. It's so sad that the media has chosen such a fun hobby to take advantage of, when there are 'Real-er' stories to be had that would probably do the public more good in the first place.

side note: If we really wanted to give the 'media' something to write about.. How about all of us hobbyist start a boycott on any and all media out there that try to make such a huge deal about this hobby, especially when it's something that happens so infrequently, and no harm/damage is done. You and I the consumer know, if the story isn't paid for, the 'media' will move on to something else that will pay. The media today, unfortunately, only really take note when the cash flow coming in slows down. =)

Second Side Note: Dang, that train should have made a left turn....

Last edited:
DAVEJF if you watch closely you will see the TV drone drop and smash to pieces behind the skier and yes had it hit him it could have resulted in serious injury. This clearly was not pilot error but I would say a catastrophic failure of the drone in some way. An accident in the pure sense. BUT the BBC reported on it as though it was an irresponsible hobbyist who was responsible even though they would have been aware that a professional TV drone covering the event dropped out of the sky. Can you imagine a hobbyist being allowed to take his drone up a mountain at a world cup event and then being allowed to launch it at will? More chance of seeing the Pope on a snow board I think!

20090717_pope_snowboarding.jpg

Just sayin'
:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.