Another gimbal thread from a new guy

Reaction score
First time poster. long time watching.
I just took a leap in the Phantom 2 world with a used unit from ebay. it had the camera smashed off and ribbon cable broken so i got a new one and replaces it. When i hooked everything back i got some very odd results that i hope you guys can shed some light on. the main issues seems to be the reslts are changing.

With the new ribon i can see the camera in the app and have VFP. the issue is all with the gimbal. to start with it would make a wuring noise every second and twich, not like the ones i have seen on youtube that trash around, mine would be no more than 1/8 of a inch at a time in any direction.
See this video from last night.

After scratching my hear for antoher 30 min discoverd the noise was coming form the top motor. after taking off the arm and playing wiht it for 10 min or so it just stated to spin when i power up and never stop. i'm at a total lost as to what is going on. i did reassemble and the camera snaps to the left, stop and no other movement happens..
i'm stumped. i cannot find anything like this

with the camera back on it spin for a sec. then after a min or so starts the short beeps and the very small twitches like a dying fly....anyone got any ideas
?

thanks
Dave

Repairing a gimbal isn't just a matter of replacing the cable or turning the shaft on the roll motor. Youtube repair videos seem to have given that impression.

There are three motors on the gimbal: the top (yaw) motor, the rear (roll) motor, and the side (pitch) motor. Each of these has a magnet, windings, and hall sensors that tell the controller where the camera is in terms of position. Each also has a printed circuit board through which the motor shafts go. The circuit boards control the motors. Additionally, the camera circuit board has circuitry which controls the movement of the gimbal.

A problem with any of these will cause the gimbal to operate improperly. Bent shafts, bent yaw arms, binding shafts, and bad ribbon cables can also cause problems.

Hunch and burlbark have the equipment to diagnose the gimbal and find the problem. To do it yourself, you'll need a gimbal that works perfectly, and then swap out the components from it one by one and put them in the problem gimbal. When the problem gimbal works as it should, you've found the issue. It will take several hours to do this.

Thanks, its pretty complex in there but modular too so hard when you get it apart. I think the 1st ribbon cable i had was crap. got another one from amazon and i how have a working camera but it has the spastic shakes like so many other after they have crashed. i saw this place fixes them, are there any other places or people you guys can recomend?
http://atkdrones.com/products/phantom-2-vision-gimbal-flex-cable-service

thanks
Dave

The guy at ATK seems to know his stuff. People here on the forum have good things to say about fellow members hunch and Burlbark. I've bought a couple of things from ATK and from hunch, and both were excellent to deal with.

Reactions: Desert Dave P

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj