Another Gimbal Test Flight

Reaction score
Another test flight to get to the right settings on the Gimbal.

(The third day actually)

Weather is definitely not right for this, its windy and turbulent (look at some of the trees)

Balanced Plastic Vision Props on T Motored Phantom 1. Arris CM3000, with 4 softballs and 4 hardballs.

Alexmos (2.3b) settings:

PID settings:

Roll: 26,0.3,22
Pitch: 10,0.3,22
Yaw: 12,0.3,12

Power: Roll, 104, Pitch 64, Yaw, 84
Gyro Thrust 110

Follow Yaw, on, deadband 6 degrees.

Compensate Voltage Drop on at 12,4 volts (if this works on the CM3000)

Dissatisfied on the results, again some horizon drift, too much vibes, may want to do advanced calibration again, sigh.

I added another variable to the tests in between, changed 4 soft to hardballs (out of eight), not good to do if you want to get PID's etc right.

I also asked if they would keep the weather consistent over a few days, since I am testing, but they didn't listen.

The Phantom was shaking around a lot during this flight. Didn't take it up high, probably more adverse wind effects.

I think you see two kind of vibes in this video. One of them is airframe (micro) vibrations, don't think its micro vibes from the gimbal as a result of too high power, another low frequency vibe is from the gimbal not really keeping up.

Gopro Black+, Shot at 60fps wide, cut a bit and saved as 29,97 fps 1080p, saved with average bitrate 4000 kb/s, actual bitrate 3555 kb/s (no sound) 4:18 minutes, file size 112,546 KB

Next step, get the softballs back on my guess is that they are better for reducing vibes, but OMG they are soft, and easily removed, a big pull on the Gimbal and the thing comes loose I guess. Wait for some less turbulent weather, reduce gyro thrust again. See how she goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlnc1IbvfU0

Even youtube detected my video was a bit shaky :(

Above the text box is are a series of buttons, the last of which is called youtube

Click "youtube" and you will see the appropriate tags to embed videos in your post. Paste the URL of your video (cursor jumps between them both), so your video is in the middle; what you see on screen looks like this...

Code:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlnc1IbvfU0[/youtube]

The end result is this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlnc1IbvfU0[/youtube]

It looks pretty smooth to me, although you might what to reduce the gimbal range so the tips of your props are not in shot.

Thanks for watching Seahorse.

I am afraid your standards for forum formatting are higher than for smooth video :)

Forum expert, Phantom novice! Just trying to save all the needless button clicks! :lol:

I will get a gimbal, but not at the current price for for P2V, but always interested in seeing the results for those who are testing... ;)

Seahorse said:
Forum expert, Phantom novice! Just trying to save all the needless button clicks! :lol:

I will get a gimbal, but not at the current price for for P2V, but always interested in seeing the results for those who are testing... ;)

so stop being a BIG DADDY and using big a$$ letters in color like you did.

And everytime I get a notice of a reply I hope to see the magic SimpleBGC numbers, prop, motor, gain settings for smooth video. :(

Even the basecam electronics forum is dead silent, while its the most used controller in the world.

I guess most answers to problems like mine can only be answered, if they are, with, could be this, could be that, try this, try that, buy something better.

You get sucked in by some smooth video, and you end up with days of trying to get the right configuration, and finally you become a guru giving the same vague answers to noobs as you were given when you were a noob, showing you few successes and hiding your endless sweat and tears and plenty of failures.

:)

Ton4 said:
And everytime I get a notice of a reply I hope to see the magic SimpleBGC numbers, prop, motor, gain settings for smooth video. :(

Even the basecam electronics forum is dead silent, while its the most used controller in the world.

I guess most answers to problems like mine can only be answered, if they are, with, could be this, could be that, try this, try that, buy something better.

You get sucked in by some smooth video, and you end up with days of trying to get the right configuration, and finally you become a guru giving the same vague answers to noobs as you were given when you were a noob, showing you few successes and hiding your endless sweat and tears and plenty of failures.

:)

I can relate to your frustration. Went through that twice with gimbals before buying Zenmuse (which I intend to add their 3 axis kit) I was making adjustments almost daily trying to fine tune it only to have it develope another twitch in another direction. Good luck.

So, the zenmuse is plug and fly?, maybe I could fiddle it on the yaw thing of my Arris :)

Ton4 said:
So, the zenmuse is plug and fly?, maybe I could fiddle it on the yaw thing of my Arris :)

Not exactly, but the benefits of the added cost are worth it. On Zenmuse as you fly it charges your GoPro and depending if you use either the upgrade board or the PMU V2 things like the Mini OSD are plug & play.

I'm not degrading your Arris, I've seen many that are excellent - it's just they need alot of tweaking and fine tuning. I'd rather be flying.

Ton4

A famous landscape photographer recently released a book called "waiting for the light" which details just how many days he wasted getting up at 5am to capture a shot only to find the weather wasn't playing ball.

As frustrating as it is your gimbal is hardly likely to sort out the high winds you are shooting in. Tweak and then sit tight until you have the right conditions to do a proper evaluation, then fine tune your tweaking.

Might I ask wher you are located - Looks like Indonesia to me?

Never made it to Bali.

Jakarta, Solo City, Palembang and Batam. What a great area you have to film from the sky.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl