Another Fly Away

Opwan said:
Nope it's gone forever I'm afraid. 4 days searching with no luck.
Oh that's too bad :(
I see you deleted the post that I was originally replying to ;)
I asked because I didn't really understand the comment you originally made about your gimbal being twitchy. You obviously deleted that post for a reason, so never mind.
Best wishes to you, and I hope you have better luck with your next build!

I think I may have the answer! I was reading the NAZA Lite manual last night, but the NAZA V2 works the same way.

If you are using intelligent motor cutoff (and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't) and you hold the throttle at less than 10%, the copter goes into landing mode the only control that works is the throttle control.

From the manual "If you choose Intelligent mode and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing Procedure, in any control mode.In this judgement, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level."

When I first read that, I thought "I go to zero throttle all of the time", but after thinking about it for a while, I changed my mind. I lost my FC40 is tall weeds once when it auto landed and the battery wasn't low.

darwin-t said:
I think I may have the answer! I was reading the NAZA Lite manual last night, but the NAZA V2 works the same way.

If you are using intelligent motor cutoff (and I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't) and you hold the throttle at less than 10%, the copter goes into landing mode the only control that works is the throttle control.

From the manual "If you choose Intelligent mode and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing Procedure, in any control mode.In this judgement, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level."

When I first read that, I thought "I go to zero throttle all of the time", but after thinking about it for a while, I changed my mind. I lost my FC40 is tall weeds once when it auto landed and the battery wasn't low.

This is thought provoking. I've had this experience a few times with no warnings on the screen. I get red flashing lights and the only stick that works is the throttle, and just barely. I put it off to battery problems.

Thinking about this, though... I often have the throttle on zero when on the way down from high altitude, while I move the bird either forward, backwards or sideways in order to avoid VRS. I'm sure I hold it there for more than ten seconds, so this confuses me... :?

-slinger

I'm confused how that would even be "intelligent". I mean, I know it's better than the alternative mode (can't remember the name of it at the moment) which apparently just shuts off the motors if the throttle is held at less than 10%. But what earthly reason would they have in completely locking you out of pitch and roll??

I could swear I've held my throttle at 0 for lengthy periods as I descended... and maintained latitudinal control. So I'm not believing this description in the manual. But, admittedly, I sure ain't gonna be testing it anytime soon. ;)

ProfessorStein said:
I'm confused how that would even be "intelligent". I mean, I know it's better than the alternative mode (can't remember the name of it at the moment) which apparently just shuts off the motors if the throttle is held at less than 10%.

That only happens if the flight controller detects that the quad has stopped descending - ie when you've landed. It doesn't shut off the motors in flight. Only a CSC will do that.

I could swear I've held my throttle at 0 for lengthy periods as I descended... and maintained latitudinal control. So I'm not believing this description in the manual.

I do it every time I descend. It absolutely not not trigger an auto-land!

HarryT said:
That only happens if the flight controller detects that the quad has stopped descending - ie when you've landed. It doesn't shut off the motors in flight. Only a CSC will do that.

C S C = **** acronyms! Okay, forgive my ignorance, what the heck is a CSC? :oops:
Catastrophic System Calamity :D :?:

Just read the past 9 pages. Wow, sorry for your loss. I lost my FC40 in the deep woods of NH. Fortunately for me it was only a $500 loss. But I take full responsibility for the loss even though it's possible it could be a product failure. Since then I scored a sweet deal for a P2 Phantom with 3D Zenmuse for $500 on Craigslist. I also added a sweet FPV setup and go Pro camera. So my loss is a little bittersweet.

When I lost my Phantom 1, I'm about 95% sure it was due to low battery. It was the first time I took off with an apparently not full charge (A flaw with the P1) and I noticed the red blinking when the bird started to descend on it's own at what appeared to be about 500' away. I searched for about 5 hours total over 4 or 5 days, and also searched with the new Phantom 2 from above, with still no luck. My dad thinks it was closer than 500', but I think it must have been farther. I also have a neighbor who appreciates his privacy and while he didn't kick me off his property, he offered no help and seemed annoyed by the "drone".

I am looking into a tracking device. I wish I had something as simple as a bluetooth Track R, or even a simple buzzer. But I have NOTHING to go on other than my slightly intoxicated memory. :oops:

I'm looking into non fee based tracking devices. But until I get one, the P2 is not going out of sight, ESPECIALLY in the deep woods. Here in the city someone will likely find it and call, but I hear you about the woods.

Good news is fall is coming. Up in the White Mountains (at my cabin where I lost the P1) the birch trees have already dropped 1/2 their leaves and foliage peaks next weekend, so I may have some luck.

I say drop the $$ on a new bird. It will make the loss easier to bear. And who knows, maybe you can find your first one with it.

ATC Drone Flyer said:
C S C = **** acronyms! Okay, forgive my ignorance, what the heck is a CSC? :oops:
Catastrophic System Calamity :D :?:
I hate them also. On a different forum there are times I have to break away, do a Google or Bing search just to find out what the person stated.
I like you rendition of CSC. That is really good. :lol:

Opwan said:
And actually I'm still in contact with DJI on this matter believe it or not. I've made it through 4 levels of support in China then DJI North America called me and has taken over the case so we'll see what happens. I am actually pretty pleased with their support so far. I filled out a fly away form for DJI North America and they are investigating it. I'll fill in the blanks as we go, but I ain't holding my breath! :D

They'll probably end up offering you a discount on replacement kit. That's the usual outcome.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie