Another fly away

When all else fails, just shut the transmitter right off. It will come home.

Are you sure you have the "Signal lost" set properly to "return to home"?

When I hit RTH, it didn't stop. I cannot remember 100% hearing "home point updated" - but it looked as if was going to the previous home spot.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Further, the drone was getting incredible amounts of interference so I was planning to stay close.

you got a compass error almost immediately after take off. You should have used the map to fly home manually rather than attempting RTH, if it engages there is a good chance it won't come back to the home point flying with bad heading data.

When all else fails, just shut the transmitter right off. It will come home.

As mentioned in previous post, This is not always true, most normal times yes, but in this case it appears there was a compass error, so relying on automated RTH which requires working compass, would be optimistic at best.
In these situations, by observing RTH is not working as it should, best to switch to ATTI mode and fly manually home.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

This is not always true, most normal times yes, but in this case it appears there was a compass error, so relying on automated RTH which requires working compass, would be optimistic at best.
In these situations, by observing RTH is not working as it should, best to switch to ATTI mode and fly manually home.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Yep. Good chance the AC will drift with the prevailing wind in ATTI mode until performing an autoland at critical battery in these circumstances.

Yes by manually flying (rather than drifting) one is flying back - compensating for prevailing conditions manually, intending to get back before battery dies like any other flight. I'm not saying it's necessarily easy, rather when things go bad like this, this is a (the only?) way to get AC back in one piece.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

Yes by manually flying (rather than drifting) one is flying back - compensating for prevailing conditions manually, intending to get back before battery dies like any other flight. I'm not saying it's necessarily easy, rather when things go bad like this, this is a (the only?) way to get AC back in one piece.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Well that was my suggestion. It has worked for me when I stupidly launched from a metal structure and ended up with the depicted heading almost 180deg from actual.

Reactions: Loz
This was really scared me as it would not return home.

I climed it as high as I could. It was scary as I totally lost it. I eventually had control over the drone, but had to find where to land it safely. It was a couple thousand feet away and over water.

This is the second time

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
If it's happened before and it was "scary".............. seems a bit mad to do the same thing again + over water?!!

In the logs, there are several times when the drone changes into Atti mode. That means a GPS problem. RTH relies on GPS too. If you have GPS problems, RTH will not work right. You should have seen the Atti mode problem, and landed immediately.

If it's happened before and it was "scary".............. seems a bit mad to do the same thing again + over water?!!

I live on Long Island - flying over water is somewhat inevitable. But the days Flight wasn't supposed to be over water, but on the shore line instead. It took off over water.

With that, the first time it happened it was strange. I did a bunch of test flights that day and in days following and everything was fine. No actually flew it further than I ever attempted after the first incident (479M in a residential area). The captor was fine.

When it flew away yesterday, it was my third take off of the day. The first 2 were fine. Besides the normal "strong interference" warning, it was very responsive. Then it happened.

I left it in as I drove from 1 parking lot to another. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You would think if the compass information was known to be bad, that the AC would instead get it's heading from GPS. Not ideal, but it is something, as long as it is moving horizontally rather than wandering completely in the wrong direction.
I've also wondered why you can turn off VPS, but not GPS. Indoors, you're likely better off with VPS only.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've also wondered why you can turn off VPS, but not GPS. Indoors, you're likely better off with VPS only.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Indoors (under bridges etc) you'd want to switch to ATTI flight mode, which ignores GPS, allowing for manageable flight control without GPS - it's one of several reasons that it's a good idea to learn how to fly in ATTI mode.

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav