Another dumb newb question - re downloads

Reaction score
Yep, complete newb here so be kind....but did anyone else find the DJI download obstructions.....sorry.....instructions a little confusing or obscure when you first discovered the wonderful world of the DJI Phantom?

(I've tried the search engine and a bit of patient scanning but haven't found anyone else ask this question, so if it has already been discussed just point me to it....)

After spending a few weeks flying my Phantom (just the basic Phantom) straight out of the box quite successfully and with good control and everything working well, I finally downloaded the Assistant software and driver installer last week.

Being a Mac' owner I'd not been able to do so previously, but I bought a cheap ($10.00) older PC from a computer geek mate, slow and clunky and running XP, but still functional.

The downloads seemed to go OK, (with the phantom plugged in to the PC and the remote turned on)) other than one issue (which I'll get to below - and hence my question), but since downloading the software I no longer have the level of control that I had before, the Phantom seems to wander and won't hold station on GPS and the controls are not as "controlling"....ie I simply can't get anywhere near the accuracy of control that I had before.

It doesn't drift off in a breeze as if the GPS isn't working at all, but it behaves a bit like it's drunk, sort of knows what it should be doing but can't quite do it with any real coordination.

So the one issue that I had with the download (and this may be glaringly obvious to some...but it's a new phrase to me), in the download instructions was the requirement to "Power cycle your device".

Seemed a bit obscure to me.

I realised that it perhaps meant turn something off then on again (and Googled the phrase just to confirm that before stuffing things up)....but what to turn off and on??

So I tried first with the Phantom itself, unplugging the battery and reconnecting it....that seemed to simply confuse everything so I reran the download and tried again doing the same to the remote control......that didn't seem to cause as much confusion and the system seemed to run through a diagnostic and then everything settled down and "looked" like it had all worked successfully.

Until I took it out for a test flight and found the problems that I described above.

I did go through the compass calibration process before each flight to check and double check.

So.....first question (I lied above - I have two questions): Which device should I have "power cycled"??
The Phantom?
The remote?
The laptop?
My head?
any combination of the above?

second question: Do you have any other tips about the software that would be helpful and which are not clear in the instructions(but which perhaps might be obvious to someone with a bit more experience?).

I'd appreciate any advice.

Nothing you asked is stupid...

Power cycling meant shut everything down in normal sequence then restart in normal sequence. As far as "the roaving drunk" perform an advanced IMU calibration. Ignore the not needed and/or to hot - just do the advanced calibration, then do the compass cal (AKA compass dance) the fly your rig.

EMCSQUAR said:
Nothing you asked is stupid...

Power cycling meant shut everything down in normal sequence then restart in normal sequence. As far as "the roaving drunk" perform an advanced IMU calibration. Ignore the not needed and/or to hot - just do the advanced calibration, then do the compass cal (AKA compass dance) the fly your rig.

Thanks for the advice. I did run through the IMU calibration after the download but I have a feeling now that I must have stuffed up the "power cycle" process. Your explanation makes so much sense now that you say it. I'll try it again this evening when I get home..(yes, I'm skiving off posting this at work....in Oz, it's mid morning here.)

If that doesn't cure the "drunk" - you can always reload the factory default settings. I think the IMU cal & compass cal will cure the behavior.

FlyingFanta said:
Don't fret about asking n00b questions. Here's the video that I watched several times before and upon receiving my Phantom 1.1.1 in the mail. Other than the comment about PPM vs S-bus, I used it to update and calibrate my Phantom out of the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0YHQeWaj8

This looks great, I've just watched the intro but will watch it in detail this evening. Thank you for the link.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik