Another drone sighting at JFK. This makes three.

Every single one of us are entitled to our own opinion about whether or not these sightings are genuine or fake. But the one thing I think quite a few of us don't realize is regardless of what you may think about how real or fake the sightings are, there is absolutely NO upside to believing they're fake. Nothing good for us will come from holding or propagating that opinion.

The pilots are making the reports and the people with the power to make the rules are taking them as credible. Therefore it is in the best interest of every one of us to also consider them to be completely credible regardless of what we may believe otherwise. We need to accept them as being credible and we need to do whatever we can to stop them from happening. Because the chances of us proving them to be false are essentially nil.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
.......... we need to do whatever we can to stop them from happening..........
So what are you suggesting?! I don't think there is "anything" any of us can do. If some clown wants to fly over an airport or up at 1500ft, he's going to do it. Unless you have a plan you want to share? Otherwise, I fly and enjoy myself. If you all want to worry yourselves to death over it, knock yourselves out.

I can see the pilots being afraid now so everything might look like a UAV or UFO in earlier times. We might know the firmware blocks a lot of things and the impossibility of spotting one that high up in a much larger plane go much faster but none of this matters. The point is don't be the one the DHS or whatever agency targets for flying wrecklessly and endangering lives.

So what are you suggesting?! I don't think there is "anything" any of us can do. If some clown wants to fly over an airport or up at 1500ft, he's going to do it. Unless you have a plan you want to share? Otherwise, I fly and enjoy myself. If you all want to worry yourselves to death over it, knock yourselves out.
By cutting down my post to just the words you quoted, you've changed the context completely.

By cutting down my post to just the words you quoted, you've changed the context completely.
You've also lost context by omitting what you wrote:

"... we need to do whatever we can to stop them from happening..."

That is what I was replying to. I asked what you had in mind. Do you have a plan? Suggestions? Please, let us in on it. What can we do to stop them from happening? I wasn't meaning to be a smart-***, I really want to know how I can stop others from flying recklessly.

Well when ya figure that one out ya can figure out how to keep people from driving drunk !
Good luck ! Is not gonna happen I'm afraid !

Could a fooled me.
Well, then let me try again. I'm all for knowing how to stop others from flying recklessly. Please to tell me how I can do this. You said we must do whatever we can to stop it. I'm asking nicely, how do we do that?

Well, then let me try again. I'm all for knowing how to stop others from flying recklessly. Please to tell me how I can do this. You said we must do whatever we can to stop it. I'm asking nicely, how do we do that?
We educate new pilots on where they can and cannot fly.
We educate them on safety and the consequences of not flying safely.
We reiterate safety and responsibility whenever we have a chance.

We do not tell others that "there are no rules, only guidelines." That implies you can fly with impunity anywhere you please.

Reactions: Clipper707
We educate new pilots on where they can and cannot fly.
We educate them on safety and the consequences of not flying safely.
We reiterate safety and responsibility whenever we have a chance.

We do not tell others that "there are no rules, only guidelines." That implies you can fly with impunity anywhere you please.
Good answer. All good advice to a noob who wants to learn the correct way. Mentoring is a great idea, too. I'm just saying that those who couldn't care less about learning the correct way are going to fly however they want. There's nothing you or I can do to stop them. I totally agree with you, but I also don't kid myself that I can stop anyone from flying recklessly if that's what they want to do.

I'm just saying that those who couldn't care less about learning the correct way are going to fly however they want. There's nothing you or I can do to stop them.
You know, you're right. You win. Forget I ever said anything. Happy now?

I say we all meet in NY and blanket the skies around JFK with our Phantoms and use them to find this idiot who keeps flying near the flight path and creating dangerous conditions.

Been watching and following all the threads regarding this issue. Initially, I thought it was so much chicken little by a lot of people BUT as I keep an eye on the news regarding quads/drones, whatever name you choose to call them, I too now see a surge and progression of unfavorable news stories related to drones such as this one released just today by the Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...05d63c-3f61-11e5-8d45-d815146f81fa_story.html
IMHO that story is simply a collection of past events attempting to create [fill in the blank]. It just seems to me that articles like that are just "piling on". I wouldn't go as far to say that the news agency's have some sinister, secrete agenda against drones BUT I can see where this may lead.

No matter how well intentioned the rest of us are you're simply not going to be able to control idiots because by there very nature they ARE idiots. Creating laws to try to control the actions of idiots will not resolve the issue. What I can see happening is instead of trying to control the idiots with laws, the government will impose hardware limitations and restrictions on the equipment its self something along the lines of like a V-chip or DRM restrictions or even the device on vehicles that make DUI offenders blow before the vehicle will start. The government just might make the equipment builders comply to certain hardware restrictions before allowing import or U.S license. I just don't like where all this is leading but don't know what the solution could be to prevent it.... :(
BOT

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20