Another DJI FLYAWAY STORY...

TOONOGRAPHYENT said:
thongbong said:
Put a hold on that P1. Put in another 200 and get the P2. I hear a significant amount of P1.1.1 horror stories on this forum. Not sure what it is but it's plenty. Something has to be wrong with them.

Thanks for the advice. That sucks to hear... another $200 on top of the rest of the loss would suck lol Would you think one of those GPS tracking devices would work? If it flew away would that actually work... Would it interfere? Not sure...Let me know. Thanks for the positive advice.

Does suck indeed. I've been collecting flyaway stories since my P1 (original version 1) flew away early last year. So I've been keeping up with all the flyaway stories. I can tell you for a fact the v1.1.1 will have the most issues after the original 1 even though it has the naza v2. As for the GPS, I had one on my original Phantom, and I had it on my P2, but now after months of flying and reading up on fly aways, I've found out that the flyaway problem is pretty much non existent for the P2. Most P2 flyaway are admitted user error or the P2 does a nose dive. A true flyaway the Phantom keeps flying in one direction parallel with the horizon until it runs out of juice or hits an object. So the GPS is all up to you. It won't interfere. If you like flying long distance then might be worth it. As for me I used one for almost a year and just stopped a couple months.

Strap a tk102b GPS tracker on it. 50g with case, less than 30g if you strip the case off it.

Send an SMS to it and it will reply with GPS coordinates embedded in a google maps link.

Sorry for your losses.

Honestly, it does sound suspicious that you'd experience two flyways in such a short time.
took me over a year and hundreds of flights until I experienced my own flyaway, so I know that operator error is not always the case.

I've vowed to never let it happen to me again, so I just got a tagg tracker.. tagg.com,. costs $7 a month, but I'd rather not lose another quad. period.

Let us know how your Tagg works out. How will you mount it? I looked at it too but didn't like the size/shape of it. If it were possible to cut the grey wings on either side it would be doable.

EMCSQUAR said:
Toon, what you want to make a habit of is occassionally run assistant software ADVANCE Calibration maybe weekly. I do it anytime I make changes or notice an abnormal behavior - light sequence, wobbly flight... The #s they're referring to is compass #s in advance calibration - ideally 1200 - 1600 is preferred.
Another thing I picked up on in your initial post was your compass "dance" routine. You were waiting for green lights then doing the spins? You should do the spins first then wait for green lights. If you move it after the green flashes (marking home location) then do compass routine - your literally resetting it and flying with no home location. Might explain your flyaways.

Thanks for the great advice… Well your right, I am going to have to treat it like a car and do maintenance weekly. It was naive of me to think something so intricate didn't need routine adjustments. :( Considering I work on everything from cars, to Dirt bikes, even RC Gas Gopeds and Goquads I should've known some type of maintenance needed to be done regularly. I just thought the maintenence would fall under the check your motors and propellers for being loose category lol.

As to the dance after the blinking lights. wow… That could potentially be it. :( I didn't think calibrating after the green light was wrong. From the videos on Youtube they recommended waiting after the yellow warm up light to see green. Then do the dance, then a green means ready to fly. BUT NOW…I am going to try your method.

-Turn on Remote, Plug in battery to DJI
-Allow it to warm up, After warm up flip the switch 10 times to calibrate it
-Do the calibration dance, then sit it on the ground
-WAIT FOR THE FAST FLASHING GREEN LIGHTS, then your READY TO FLY? Right lol

Thanks again! By the way do you recommend any videos that show others setting the calibration on their software? A point of reference may be helpful.

thongbong said:
TOONOGRAPHYENT said:
thongbong said:
Put a hold on that P1. Put in another 200 and get the P2. I hear a significant amount of P1.1.1 horror stories on this forum. Not sure what it is but it's plenty. Something has to be wrong with them.

Thanks for the advice. That sucks to hear... another $200 on top of the rest of the loss would suck lol Would you think one of those GPS tracking devices would work? If it flew away would that actually work... Would it interfere? Not sure...Let me know. Thanks for the positive advice.

Does suck indeed. I've been collecting flyaway stories since my P1 (original version 1) flew away early last year. So I've been keeping up with all the flyaway stories. I can tell you for a fact the v1.1.1 will have the most issues after the original 1 even though it has the naza v2. As for the GPS, I had one on my original Phantom, and I had it on my P2, but now after months of flying and reading up on fly aways, I've found out that the flyaway problem is pretty much non existent for the P2. Most P2 flyaway are admitted user error or the P2 does a nose dive. A true flyaway the Phantom keeps flying in one direction parallel with the horizon until it runs out of juice or hits an object. So the GPS is all up to you. It won't interfere. If you like flying long distance then might be worth it. As for me I used one for almost a year and just stopped a couple months.

Great thanks for the tips! Interesting that the P2 doesn't have much flyways. I was also looking into those 350qx weird looking quadcopters. They look cheesy to me but wonder whats the flyaway rate is on those lol.

Any way, yea I am thinking of looking into that GPS tracker asap. Worst case scenario if it crashes at least I could find it :( lol As for flying high anymore I think I am going to have to take baby steps into the spirit of high flying again. I use to shoot it up in the air without a problem… Might attach fishing wire to the legs as extra backup now :lol: :lol: :lol: J.k. But seriously hope the 3rd one works out well. When it comes in I am going to plug it into the software and check the settings immediately.

Howzit said:
Strap a tk102b GPS tracker on it. 50g with case, less than 30g if you strip the case off it.

Send an SMS to it and it will reply with GPS coordinates embedded in a google maps link.

Thanks! I am going to google that model now and get more info on it. Thanks for posting useful info! :D ;)

Gizmo3000 said:
Sorry for your losses.

Honestly, it does sound suspicious that you'd experience two flyways in such a short time.
took me over a year and hundreds of flights until I experienced my own flyaway, so I know that operator error is not always the case.

I've vowed to never let it happen to me again, so I just got a tagg tracker.. tagg.com,. costs $7 a month, but I'd rather not lose another quad. period.

Thanks for sympathizing with me… lol. It is a unfortunate loss. All I could think about when it flew away was man… that $1100+ could of went into a 7D,6D, DSLR or something lol. smh. You live and you learn I guess :/ But most definitely I am going to look into the tracker you recommended too. Thanks a million!

LuvMyTJ said:
I bought one yesterday. We'll see how well it works as I am sure it will be a clone. Got it on chinabay.
Be super duper careful and make sure to fly it at low altitudes before you send it up to make sure its responsive. Also reread through this thread because some of the people who posted on this page left some useful info. Goodluck I hope it works out for you… I am looking into tracking devices now lol. ;)

Howzit said:

Hello,

Thanks for the info… I looked it up and saw it before. I was uncertain on if it was a good name brand and would be worth the money. Have you ever used it? What is your take on it?

This is info that I found on it (copied and pasted here)

Mini Spy GPS Tracker TK102 RealTime Vehicle Tracker For GSM GPRS GPS System Tracking Device
1. Vehicle Rental & Fleet Management etc.
2. Protect child / the old / the disabled / pet etc
3. Provide peace-of-mind for businessmen
4. Manage personnel
5.1.5 inch high resolution LCD, can watching while shooting.
6. Track criminals secretly
7. This product can locate and monitor any remote targets by SMS or internet.
8. Powerful magnet+water proof, adsorbing in the hidden place of car for tracking secretly.
9. 4 bands, GSM/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900MHZ network and GPS satellites
10. Equipped with special auto suction cup holder. Conveniently fix and use.
11. real time tracking ,Portable,easy to install
This product can locate accurately and be used in guarding Vehicle against theft,
Protecting child / Elderly / disabled / pet, Managing personnel and Tracking criminals secretly.
Need not positioning platform, user directly with mobile phone remote target location, in through the longitude and latitude in Google earth etc map search timing position.
As in computer/PDA/navigator navigation map coordinate data input, the goal on the map information be clear at a glance.

Details:
Working Based on existing GSM/GPRS850/900/1800/1900MHZnetwork and GPS satellites, this product can locate and monitor any remote targets by SMS or Computer or PDA.

Optional functions:
1.Quiver alarm
2.Electronic lock: if the inspected target remove tracker, it will send alarm information to warranted number automatically.
3.Vehicle guard: oil cut and power off for long distance

Technology parameter:
GPS chip SIRF3 chip
GPS sensitivity -159dBm
GPS accuracy 5m
Time To First Fix Cold status 45s,Warm status 35s,Hot status 1s
Car charger 1224V input,5V output
Battery Chargeable changeable 3.7V 800mAh Li-ion battery
Dim: 64mm x 46mm x 17mm
Weight: 50g
Network: GSM/GPRS
Band: 850/900/1800/1900Mhz
Standby: 80hours
Car charger: 12—24V input ,5V output
Wall charger: 110-220V input,5V output
Storage Temp: -40°C to +85°C
Operation Temp: -20°C to +55°C
Humidity: 5%--95% non-condensing

Package
1 x TK102 GPS TRACKER
2 x battery
1 x Battery Charger
1 x battery cover with Magnet
1 x Power Adaptor
1 x User manual
1 x Gift box
1 x plastic holder bag

The only thing that I see that alarms me is NUMBER 8, Where it says VERY POWERFUL MAGNET. Wouldn't the magnetic interference scramble the GPS after you calibrate it? (I know they say keep the plug on the leg where you attach the GPS wire…away from ALL MAGNETS because it can throw off the compass.) Would this tracker have that affect? also will it interfere with the 2.4 GPS signal already on the phantom? Like confuse it? Let me know when you have time. Thanks!

That tracker is very popular with pilots here, just be sure to get the TK102B model. The magnet they refer to is in the case of the tracker and can easily be removed...along with the rest of the case if you want (there's a thread here somewhere detailing now to do that).

OI Photography said:
That tracker is very popular with pilots here, just be sure to get the TK102B model. The magnet they refer to is in the case of the tracker and can easily be removed...along with the rest of the case if you want (there's a thread here somewhere detailing now to do that).

Thanks! Sounds like a plan! I just watched a few videos that were pretty conniving and now that you confirmed that its used often with these copters I think thats the route I will go ;) Appreciate your advice!

By The Way… You wouldn't happen to have a direct link to the forum where you said it shows how to open up the tracker. Would you? Let me know. Thanks!

TOONOGRAPHYENT said:
OI Photography said:

Thanks! Sounds like a plan! I just watched a few videos that were pretty conniving and now that you confirmed that its used often with these copters I think thats the route I will go ;) Appreciate your advice!

By The Way… You wouldn't happen to have a direct link to the forum where you said it shows how to open up the tracker. Would you? Let me know. Thanks!

I think there's a couple, this is the first one I turned up in a search: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9439&p=80572

OI Photography said:
TOONOGRAPHYENT said:
OI Photography said:

I think there's a couple, this is the first one I turned up in a search: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9439&p=80572

Thanks for taking the time out to actually find and paste the link here. I appreciate it… the job looks tough tho. lol. probably not so much tough like impossible per say , but timely and detailed. I'd probably just rather use it with the case. lol. My question is where can you put it on the phantom externally that won't interfere with the compass? Also use zip ties I suppose right? Any suggestions?

BruceTS said:
Sounds like radio interference is causing your issues and not a traditional flyaway.
Interesting feedback… Could you please explain your reasoning so I can avoid this issue in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The tracking device came in as well as the phantom. I flew the phantom without the tracker and for the first 2 flights last night... it flew fine. Even though I stood relatively low, it was responsive to the remote and flew with ease. However I am going to try some more this weekend. Now that my tracker came in I feel more safe and secure. Also I did the advanced IMU calibration and now understand that process as well. Hopefully I have better luck :D :D :D Thanks for everyones help!

"Phantom number #3...DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN" :lol:

thongbong said:
TOONOGRAPHYENT said:
thongbong said:

As someone who collects these stories - what are chances of flyaway for fc40?

Is there less risk if you fly in atti mode?

Well the TK102B tracker clone is going back on Monday. It worked... sort of. I could ping it, but it would not record it's route nor would it work in GPRS mode. For the hassle it was to setup and use, not fully functional, no customer service and the $8 -$10 a month to operate it (AT&T Go Phone SIM) it just didn't add up.

Enter the PocketFinder. It cost $13 a month (non-contractual), has customer service, smart phone apps, no SIM cards to deal with and several options for it's operation. I will be testing it's accuracy in the next few days.

AAAADDVgVBUAAAAAAbf5mA.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers