Another "Compass Calibration" Question...

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm new to this thread and my P4 - literally out of the box yesterday. I'm hoping that someone here will be able to give some much appreciated advice. Unfortunately, nothing I do is sufficient enough to resolve the "Compass Calibration Error." I had a P3P and never quite experience this problem. I've read through many threads, postings and forums on this exact situation but have not been able to solve it.

1. Firmware updated Yesterday
2. Craft Restarted
3. Literally drove to 5 different wide-open field-like locations sans prevail
4. At least 20 attempts to recalibrate
5. Watched and mirrored a bunch of videos (like I said though, no issues with the P3P)
6. Using an iPhone 6S+

I'll admit, I took off in sport mode and hovered for a bit and landed just to see if anything would change. Other than that, no flights in lieu of the feared crash. Here are some screen shots of what I'm seeing on my end. I have the option of returning however, I'd like to rule out any "operator errors" before I go that route.

Again, took it out of the box yesterday, charged everything, updated the firmware, went to a field nearby and have been experiencing this "Magnetic Interference Detection" ever since. It's been on since the first time I started her up.

ANY insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_2671.PNG
IMG_2672.PNG
IMG_2673.PNG
IMG_2674.PNG

did you make sure to have your phone / controller far away? maybe a metal belt or keys? it recommends to keep any metal at least 5 feet away when calibrating the compass

How close are you to your vehicle? A friend of mine had the same problem. I went to help him. He was calibrating about 5 ft from his car. I had him move about 50 ft away and it worked perfectly. He'd removed everything metal from his person but didn't notice his huge metal car. You don't have any metal body parts, do you?

Also make sure that during the second circle you make, that the camera is pointing toward the ground, as per the manual.

Finally, put your gun in the car. Once you're airborne, you can reholster.;)

@Patrick Tried 5ft, 50ft and 100ft | Belt gone ZERO metal... still no luck

@Pharm Guns safely locked in the bunker, car nowhere near me.... it's the vertical rotation giving me an issue though the camera is facing down.

@Patrick Tried 5ft, 50ft and 100ft | Belt gone ZERO metal... still no luck

@Pharm Guns safely locked in the bunker, car nowhere near me.... it's the vertical rotation giving me an issue though the camera is facing down.

wierd, have you tried DJI support, maybe try to reset the phantom in the DJI go app or reload the firmware with the DJI assistant and re calibrate. Good luck!

Hope P4 was not stored near any magnets such as speakers as would gauss the compass located in its legs.

Have you tried IMU calibration as solved for some. Find the process including tips;

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
When I calibrate mine I literally have to be 20 foot from anything, even metal in my pockets I first find a perfectly flat surface and calibrate the IMU, THEN DO THE COMPASS calibration and I really only do the compass if I'm in a new area or the DJI go app tells me it's needed, some will argue about that but it works for me and is what's mentioned by DJI anyway LoL

One more thing, if the quad was stored near anything highly magnetic during shipping it may have messed with the compass, it's possible, but try what's been mentioned here, then call support if you have to!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues