Another Case of Flying in "Their" Airspace?

Reaction score
Another "drone" story from Breitbart today. I normally love Breitbart, but this story pisses me off. The headline reads, "Civilian Drone Interferes with Sands Firefighting Efforts." I don't understand the point of the article as they clearly state the OP broke no laws, was NEVER in the way, and no aircraft were diverted. They even go on to reference a CNN report on how useful & effective drones can be in fire ops. How did he interfere? You'll see the REAL problem in the fire department spokesman's comments:

"You bring in something like that, you are dealing with our aircraft’s safety. I identified the individual and his craft. El Dorado Sheriffs took care of the situation.”

Ruffled feathers....the OP was flying in "their" airspace... :twisted:

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...ource=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#comments

Re: Another Case of Flying in "Their" Airspace

Defending that tool's actions is really, really dumb. Heck, even the tool acknowledges that it wasn't smart to be flying where he was.

I would suggest that you actually watch the video that he captured and note the proximity to active fire line. Then go back and edit your original post so you don't look so confused and naive.

"--------Lesson learned, not a good idea to fly near a fire. Wont be doing that again------"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yyrwB0vwr8[/youtube]

Gilbert Gomes said:
Defending that tool's actions is really, really dumb. Heck, even the tool acknowledges that it wasn't smart to be flying where he was.

I would suggest that you actually watch the video that he captured and note the proximity to active fire line. Then go back and edit your original post so you don't look so confused and naive.

"--------Lesson learned, not a good idea to fly near a fire. Wont be doing that again------"

All they had to do was drop a couple of tons of water on it (the drone)... Problem solved lol

Gilbert Gomes said:

Again, great footage but too many people aren't thinking about AIRSPACE in these situations. I can't believe I watched the whole thing. I thought he was going to get dumped on or something.

Gilbert Gomes said:
Defending that tool's actions is really, really dumb. Heck, even the tool acknowledges that it wasn't smart to be flying where he was. I would suggest that you actually watch the video that he captured and note the proximity to active fire line. Then go back and edit your original post so you don't look so confused and naive.

Mr. Gomes - If you have been following this forum you are probably aware that, over the last few weeks, there have been a several "drone" reports that were overblown and misleading. I have since learned that, in this particular case, the OP was flying in an area under a temporary flight restriction. That small, but rather significant, bit of information was omitted from the Breitbart article. Obviously that crucial piece of data would have changed my perception of an article which otherwise seemed reminiscent of prior overstated incidents. The report, as written, appeared rather pointless. It is now clear the OP was in error.

That being said, I'll leave my "really, really dumb" comment, based on the information provided in the report, defending a "tool" who I'm certain had no idea he was operating in a restricted flight area, to remain, so people will realize how "confused and naive" I was. They can read this comment and see I have since discovered the OP was in error. Personally I have no problem with the OP's video, but he was clearly in the wrong for flying in a restricted area.

I'll leave it to arrogant, faceless, pricks, sitting smugly behind the safety of their keyboard, to call out the tools, the dumb, and the confused and naive. I will assure you of one thing, Gilbert. Were you standing in front of me right now, we wouldn't be talking. Have a nice evening.

Dirty Bird said:
Mr. Gomes - If you have been following this forum you are probably aware that, over the last few weeks, there have been a several "drone" reports that were overblown and misleading. I have since learned that, in this particular case, the OP was flying in an area under a temporary flight restriction. That small, but rather significant, bit of information was omitted from the Breitbart article. Obviously that crucial piece of data would have changed my perception of an article which otherwise seemed reminiscent of prior overstated incidents. The report, as written, appeared rather pointless. It is now clear the OP was in error.

That being said, I'll leave my "really, really dumb" comment, based on the information provided in the report, defending a "tool" who I'm certain had no idea he was operating in a restricted flight area, to remain, so people will realize how "confused and naive" I was. They can read this comment and see I have since discovered the OP was in error. Personally I have no problem with the OP's video, but he was clearly in the wrong for flying in a restricted area.

I'll leave it to arrogant, faceless, pricks, sitting smugly behind the safety of their keyboard, to call out the tools, the dumb, and the confused and naive. I will assure you of one thing, Gilbert. Were you standing in front of me right now, we wouldn't be talking. Have a nice evening.

+1
Hallelujah DB.
BTW just finished painting the bird in black. Its baking in the oven now.

it's a complicated issue. will drones ever have PCAS built in? and will a system be put in place so the drone flyer can find out if an air space restriction is in force before flying into the zone? when the real loons start filming live crash scenes with bits of people being pulled from wreckage and streaming it live or selling it on to the media for big bucks the poop will hit the fan big time and serious restrictions will be bought in for the sake of decency and safety, drones could be a target pratice exercise for armed officers, or marbe they just use a wifi scrambler with a few hundred feet range or even a scrambler for the flight controls so any drone that got too close lost control and crashed, or maybe the RTH would kick in and send it back to you??

Dirty Bird said:
Legitimate safety concerns I can agree with, NOT protecting us from the truth...disturbing or not.

Well, localized SMS services are used in cases of disaster and chemical spills around the world. It wouldn't be that hard to issue a localized SMS message stating: "This is now a restricted non-flying area until further notice". Is such technology used in these instances, or is it up to the individual OP to read the air traffic control's mind?

I suspect that the FAA's requirement of commercial/professional certification may partly be driven by the knowledge of how to access temporary flight restrictions. Had the operator known how to learn of any temporary flight restrictions, he probably would not have entered that airspace (my supposition of course). It would make sense for the FAA to publicize how to determine flight restrictions. Right now all we have is (potentially old) charts and the software built into the Phantom's operating system.

slothead said:
I suspect that the FAA's requirement of commercial/professional certification may partly be driven by the knowledge of how to access temporary flight restrictions. Had the operator known how to learn of any temporary flight restrictions, he probably would not have entered that airspace (my supposition of course). It would make sense for the FAA to publicize how to determine flight restrictions. Right now all we have is (potentially old) charts and the software built into the Phantom's operating system.

All I found was this: http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/index.html
And this note at the bottom of the page: For the Latest Information Call Your Local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF
So now every phantom pilot in the US is going to call "1-800-WX-BRIEF" before take-off, right? :)

DKDarkness said:
Well, localized SMS services are used in cases of disaster and chemical spills around the world. It wouldn't be that hard to issue a localized SMS message stating: "This is now a restricted non-flying area until further notice". Is such technology used in these instances, or is it up to the individual OP to read the air traffic control's mind?

This is something easily abused by government and those in positions of authority. Not referring only to flying restrictions. Recently the Secret Service (ironically the "SS") has been restricting many freedoms. Like preventing protesters from appearing along a presidential route, or where they might show in the recorded footage even though they are well beyond an reasonable safety limits or pose any risk. Government power & authority should be curtailed & combated at every juncture, because they WILL abuse that power. Those familiar with what the NSA is up to, blessed by our "government" courts, will know exactly what I mean.

DKDarkness said:
All I found was this: http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr_map_ims/html/index.html
And this note at the bottom of the page: For the Latest Information Call Your Local Flight Service Station at 1-800-WX-BRIEF
So now every phantom pilot in the US is going to call "1-800-WX-BRIEF" before take-off, right? :)
Well that is more than I knew about (thanks for the link to this DKDarkness).

Can hardly wait for the paparazzi to learn how to fly drones. It will be a lot more entertaining than just watching 30 guys with cameras trying to get the 'money shot'. 30 drones all trying for the same shot. Now that will be entertaining!

NOTAM = "Notices to Airmen" and is a listing of temporary obstructions, temporary restricted airspace, temporary controlled airspace, exceptional meteorological conditions (volcanic ash, smoke plumes, etc) and so on. In the UK it's promulgated by National Air Traffic Services and is a free service (registration required) - more details here: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... d=289.html

What it doesn't do is let you know about permanent restrictions, permanent controlled airspace, etc. If you are in the UK I can recommend a free app called AispaceAVOID which is NATS approved and detailed here: http://www.pocketfms.com/AirspaceAVOID/indexUKAA.asp It's designed to be used "in the air" by pilots, but unless you are planning on sending your multirotor many miles from your home point it will tell you if you are in, under or near controlled airspace and will also highlight NOTAM'd temporary restrictions/information like part-time parachute dropping zones, etc. If you are planning on flying somewhere unfamiliar or at a height much above the tallest thing in the area then this is pretty much required checking, in my opinion. There appears to be a paid-for version which covers airspace in USA, Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand...

Choices of language aside, it is, quite literally, "their" airspace. In cases like this, the FAA cedes operational control of the airspace. Calfire has control from the ground to 7000MSL for a five mile radius (see notam 4/6504).

I suspect that the guy flying didn't think he was doing anything wrong, but this underscores part of the issue--with no training, how is he supposed to know?

The legality of his actions are not the point; when the FAA finally gets regulations in place, flying in TFRs will be illegal (and should be, IMHO).

Airspace info (including TFRs) is widely available but only if you know to look. Perhaps it would help if the manufacturers were to team up with the model aircraft groups to help educate folks. It's a brave new world.

So this is a very familiar subject for me lol.

First video I did, NO aircraft's were flying when I launched:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4prnFHbQ18[/youtube]

Then the nest day I launched far away, all my friends thought it was me that got busted:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyb0AOu2Vx8[/youtube]

I do have to say that Jayzaerial and his video was too close, that drone got in a turbine or heli, they would have had a disaster. For the record, NO aircrafts were delayed in any way

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.