Another battery question...

Reaction score
So I hear people say that we should never bring down our batteries below 25% or even more because it may ruin one or more of the cells. If thats so, then how can DJI claim to have 20+ minutes of runtime if and when we shouldn't run the batteries near depletion levels? It kind of seems like I'm getting jipped that 25% or so because I'll never get to use it.

what do u guys think?

Uggghhhh

It's best to land when (or before) the first battery cell reaches 3.4V. See more here:
HOW TO: Monitor battery voltage to watch for signs of failure | DJI Phantom Forum

DJI's specs say the max flight time is approximately 23 minutes. That was probably from a flight indoors where they did nothing but hover in place a few feet from the ground. Once you're outside, there are many factors that will reduce that time -- like actually moving around, the wind, the temperature, etc.

It kind of seems like I'm getting jipped that 25% or so because I'll never get to use it.
Buy more batteries :)

Last edited:
Some people don't like to be helpful. Just ignore them :)

Outside-- in the real world, maximum 12 minutes of video recording, if you can land and take- off before the battery will hit the 20% mark. I try start thinking about landing at 35 to 40 percent depending on how quickly I think I can get it on the ground-- I shoot to be on the ground at around 30%---- just some targets.

It's best to land when (or before) the first battery cell reaches 3.4V. See more here:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...y-voltage-to-watch-for-signs-of-failure.43313

DJI's specs say the max flight time is approximately 23 minutes. That was probably from a flight indoors where they did nothing but hover in place a few feet from the ground. Once you're outside, there are many factors that will reduce that time -- like actually moving around, the wind, the temperature, etc.

Buy more batteries :)

Once a LiPo battery gets so low that the other cells in a pack are handling the whole load, you can get a runaway discharge. Exciting if it happens in the air.

But, in all likelihood, the 23 minute capacity is a calculated one based on all the specs of all the components. This is a higher number that marketing likes, is not a lie, and almost impossible to realize in the real world.

Outside-- in the real world, maximum 12 minutes of video recording, if you can land and take- off before the battery will hit the 20% mark. I try start thinking about landing at 35 to 40 percent depending on how quickly I think I can get it on the ground-- I shoot to be on the ground at around 30%---- just some targets.

Yeah, I typically get 15 minutes of flight time from takeoff to landing at the 25% mark. I'm too chicken to be up in the air once my batteries get to the 25% mark.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl